Turbo Project

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
andyj said:
looking very good Ivan :) good work !!!

can't wait to see the end results.

same here - i just cant seem to get my cams back in mine and put it back together - keep looking at the 10 bolts sat there saying - "undo me - undo me" :whistle:

if ya flagging for energy and need inspiration try this Video

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
Progress - stayed at garage until midnight

the oil flange was not ready yesterday so we concentrated on the other aspect of the car - exhaust . I took us 3 hours to bolt up manifold, turbo , wastegate and downpipe toghether (had to fabricate and cut to fit almost every other nut and bolt ) it has come to a very tight fit ( it would not be easy to mount and dismount , but i hope I would't have to do this again in the next couple of years. It has come up to the following - bolt WG to mani , then drop downpipe downthere , then bolt turbo to mani , and finally bolt downpipe to turbo and WG:) . After that we started on exhaust after the flexi connection - and got as far as round the back axle at which point we left - we have another 1 hour work at exhaust

basically today (if flange is ready as promissed ) there is just oil line to do - reconnect inlet piping, toghether with manifold, put liquids and start the car!!!

unbelievable . . .

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
access to exhaust mani bolts... tell me about it.
mucho annoying when you have to revisit.

one big reason I am making another mani, which is servicable so I can chop and change without having to allow 1/2 day to undo 4 nuts with an assortment of bent spanners.

Hope it all goes well for you. (1st time)

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
Well

It works !!!

yesterday I got the oil flange, we installed oil pressure line to turbo, manifold, IC piping, put some MINERAL oil in , coolant, checked and double checked wiring, cranked the engine with main lead off, waited a bit , cranked it again and...... nothing !!! fuel lines crossed - exchanged them .... crank again - nothing ...... aaaaaarghhhh..... connect fuel pump wiring ....... Broaaaagrrrrrrrrr

basically waited for the car to get to operating temp, fan on , fan off, fan on fan off,,,, switch off engine - go home at 12.....

i am left with exhaust to be mounted ...... bonnet, and this is it ... so far no oil leaks , no coolant leaks ....

the engine runs smooth with noisy clatter from hyd. lifters - i do not go above 1500 rpm and thy cannot fill up.

back to the mineral 15/40 oil - as i am going to throw it away in about 400 miles it has better cleaning. oil pan will be removed and cleaned thorouly as well as oil filter .....

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
tell me about it

i was almost in tears from joy last night - after so musch stress - i work 6 days a week and could work only at night on the car + sat sun ...... i has finally come to a near finish....The good news is that I (we ) can do a conversion of 16v engines with closed eyes now and it can actually can be done on a budget - selection of parts is very important.

it looks complicated but after you do 2-3 cars ( so far my friend has done mine and his - ABF Golf, one Astra and these have been full conversions - not to mention the part jobs he has done) , the fabrication part of the project is important and i will provide pics as soon as i have time and am not covered in dust and oil ......

we are to concentrate on another project soon - Mk4 GTI 20vT - but still selecting parts

Last edited:

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
Well

It drives too :):):)

I have done 200 off boost km on it and apart from one gear linkage disconecting, and a huuuuge oil leak from the oil return flange in the oilpan as well as burned servo pipe ( wastegate way too close to it - shortened it on the roadside) it drives, man:)

the car does not like even 0.1 bar of boost (MAP sensor doesnot know what is happening) so I am restricted to about 2 500 rpm. what i like is the feel of the turbo wanting to spool very early - from 2 500 even on a veeeery light throttle.

it si such a pleasure to drive - the engine feels sort of lazy and looze - ( low compression ) and smooth and then this urge for power comes ... and i have to let go of accelerator ...

the oil temp is a bit high - 108 C ...... but it is warm too - i will have to convert to oil cooler but that will be next year ...

i am left with fuel rail welding, reweld the oilpan flange and i can install MEgasquirt 2 within the next couple of weeks

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
Drove it at 0.4 bar - it is laggy beast - i hit full boost at 3 300 rpm and held it to about 6 000 - Megasquirt 2 is not mapped completely - standard clutch holds, gearbox holds too ....

the MS 2 - full throttle and part throttlle mapping is done - , enrichments are not done - holds a steady 11.xx mixture under throttle.

My tuner has increased pressure to 0.7 where the Cordy is showing its teeth ... spinning in 2nd and 3rd gears full time[B)]

we are getting ready for the local drag racers tommorow where me friend has a audi quattro drag "Scrapheap" car - monster (volovo truck Turbo ) , huge IC

750cc injectors 2 bar boost etc etc

target is 10 sec w/o NOS :):):)

so my car will be completed after that

:shrug:

sjc59

Jul 30, 2006
Looks and sounds good mate would love to turbo the girlfriends one now, doubt she will like the idea thou.

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
UPDATE

The car is simply... awesome

very drivable , very fast ....... i don't know yet how fast ...... but pulls great

the 020 gearbox may be unreliable , weak and not up to the job but ...... but the ratios are spaced so well it is like a motorbike's gearbox

I am still sort of runing in the car and do not keep it at high revs for an extended period of time , still testing stuff - reliability issues and generally taking care... i extend revs only in 3-4-5 gear and as soon 5 000 - 5 500 rpm are dialed in I let go of the throttle ( this is where boost starts to tail off)

Boost is set at 0.8 bar at the moment and this is where it gets freaky ....

it is a matter of balance whether the car spins wheels in 2nd and 3rd gear (16" 7.5 width) or the clutch slips ... the only reason i believe it is not the clutch is ...... smell or rather the lack of it :):):) the 280mm brakes are cooked afer the 3rd progressive brake session from 180-190 km .. so i need an upgrade soon

oh yeah ... and the rather harsh and unforgiving chassis setup in terms of suspention , wheels and tires in NA form has turned into jelly ..... there are some evil forces when turbo kicks in ......

i have one issue to attend to (apart from a few niggling problems like lack of oil vent pipe, erratic idle, oil leak from oil pan gasket this time, a freaky nasty s**tty leak from the fuel rail - tiny drips evaporate - bad weld .....) and it is to do with the rather large wastegate - like no one told me that the WG i bought is huge .... it opens quite early and turbo cannot compensate on time - there is lag due to this and the turbo hits full boost at 3 700 rpm which it rather late... but can be cured,,,, so i will write soon

however - keep it above that and the turbo gets to sing loud ....... the whoosh sound from the Greddy type RS blow off keeps BMWs away... the best way to keep them of is downshifting from 5th to 4th.. build boost and release throttle right at their window........ they pull off I can tell you....;)

so 600 miles later I have a huge smile on my face and an empty pocket - all true signs of turbo fever:)

ToledoRaj

Jan 22, 2002
N. London
Visit site
UPDATE

The car is simply... awesome

very drivable , very fast ....... i don't know yet how fast ...... but pulls great

it is a matter of balance whether the car spins wheels in 2nd and 3rd gear (16" 7.5 width) or the clutch slips ... the only reason i believe it is not the clutch is ...... smell or rather the lack of it :):):) the 280mm brakes are cooked afer the 3rd progressive brake session from 180-190 km .. so i need an upgrade soon

the whoosh sound from the ..... blow off keeps BMWs away... the best way to keep them of is downshifting from 5th to 4th.. build boost and release throttle right at their window........ they pull off I can tell you....;)

QUOTE]

Soooooo true, mines starts pulling at about 2K (i guess cos i still havent got my rev counter sorted) and goes on till i feel the boost isnt climbing anymore. I got the bleed valve set at 0.8 bar cos above that my clutch and tyres seem to struggle

I've mastered the art of timing my gearchanges so that I "dump" at the windows of BMWs and other so caled performance cars!!

ToledoRaj

Jan 22, 2002
N. London
Visit site
2.0 ABF
Spacer plate to reduce compression
My own exhaust manifold for RHD
Modified 20vt inlet manifold/TT225 injectors/fuel rail
Megasquirt.
Cossie T3 turbo
pushing about 270 bhp @1 bar

big grins all round!!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.