TWO equally important questions... about my oil filter and the rear trim

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
2L 16V ABF engine, so how the hell do you go about getting the oil filter off, which angle do you tackle it from that makes it easiest? It looks like an impossible task....

Also:

The rear trim that says SEAT and IBIZA on it..... SEAT Badge in the middle... how do you get the trim off, the two side bits? looks like it clips from either side, and is meant to slide outwards as it has a little 'lug' at each side which would require sliding to the side to remove it..... is it bolted tho aswell somewhere as i cant figure out how its attatched, as theres no bolts holding it on?

Thanks guys and girls

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Isnt there a tool you can buy from the stealers thats latches on to the bottom of the filter to make life hell of alot easier? Im sure i heard this somwhere.?

David.

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
u can stick a screwdriver in it and use it as a wrench... lol.
i think thats a haynes handy hint... or whatever theyre called.
Either way, it looks a right PITA to do... if all is good tomorrow ill tackle it :)
Thanks.........

I phoned SEAT up and a guy said that the trim as far as he could see, was kept on by a single bolt which i guess to be, under the 'S' SEAT badge in the middle... which requires a star shaped screwdriver type thing (special tool anyway) to get it undone........ or a dremel ;)

Will have to investigate that tomorrow also.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
strap socket on mine did the trick.helps having a neighbour with a pit and a big ass funnel to drop it into.
i bet 10 quid you break the trim getting it off,and the lugs holding it all on will be rusty as fook.

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
rear strip is fixed with a silly inverted star type screw in the middle ( under the 'S'.)... two sides pull away from the centre and are held by lugs just inside the outer edge of the lid i took silly star out and used a 'normal ' screw when i swapped mine over

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
For the trim its too metal lugs that it slides onto, but you need to undo that gay screw first.

I had fun with the screw driver method, put loadsa holes in the filter trying to get it off, it was stuck nice and good!

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
im thinking itll be easiest to undo the expanding nut on the back of the 'S' badge? think itll work? its a plastic nut i think i saw it being... i tried to undo it with a flat head screw driver but the star shape is totally unique and ill either have to grind it off or hopfully loosen it up if i undo the plastic nut behind it

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
transformsl8.jpg

Congratulations to me :D

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
not yet, ive had them for about 1 1/2 years now aswell. The lights are dim, admitadly, but i re wired the back lights so that the foglights were my brake lights, so it was clear to... i did that on a recomendation from a friend who nearly drove into the back of me cos they werent clear enough :D Will need to do the same on the GTi now

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members