Tyre Pressure Dropped

seatram

Sep 8, 2017
Ilkeston
Heh, so I've done 1300 miles since new on my Leon, and this morning the pressure sensor notices that the right rear tyre has lost some pressure. As I'm on the way to work and it didn't look flat when I left, I drove it to work (8 miles) and then checked the pressures, both fronts are on 40psi, left rear is on 36psi, right rear is on 12psi!!!

When driving it felt absolutely normal and I couldn't tell it had dropped so low, the tyre doesn't even look deflated?! Checked the tyre over and nothing seems to stuck in it, what could have happened to let it get so low?

Reactions: UnrepentantN00b

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Put some air into the tyre. Then Add some washing up liquid to water - with the dust cap off, use this solution to pour around valve and tyre.

The valve might not be seated correctly, or screwed in fully. Then check around the tyre tread and beading where tyre meets the rim. You will see where the air is escaping from as small bubbles start to appear.

Reactions: seatram

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
Leaks with alloy wheels if it isn't a six inch nail in the tyre is down to corrosion on the inside of the rim which stops the bead from fully sealing. The rear nearside on mine loses about 10psi over the week. I've just bought some new tyres and will be taking all four wheels to my mate who will remove them for me and then i'll use a wire brush to remove any loose paint from the inside before giving them a lick of paint prior to him putting the new tyres on.
I've got to do the same with my Discovery. They aren't leaking as bad as the Ibiza rear, but I want to swap the bloody expensive mud terrains from the Disco 1 onto these rims.
Thank you Land Rover for changing the PCD between Disco 1 and 2...

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
You've got a puncture, bad sea on the tyre or a bad valve. Trip to a tyre fitter for you!

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
You've got a puncture, bad sea on the tyre or a bad valve. Trip to a tyre fitter for you!

Thank you. I know what my problem is. I can see the corrosion on the inside of the rim.

No tyre fitter for me. I'll go and see my mate, an ex tyre fitter granted, but now he has his own garage and does this sort of thing for me for free. Free, that is if you don't count the biscuits I keep him supplied with.
Actually, thinking about it, i probably spend more in biscuits a year than if i just paid a bill.

Last edited:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Thank you. I know what my problem is. I can see the corrosion on the inside of the rim.

No tyre fitter for me. I'll go and see my mate, an ex tyre fitter granted, but now he has his own garage and does this sort of thing for me for free. Free, that is if you don't count the biscuits I keep him supplied with.
Actually, thinking about it, i probably spend more in biscuits a year than if i just paid a bill.
Aye but the OP has 1300 miles on his car from new. Corrosion is not the issue, more likely a big stinking nail in it.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

Dearie me, I think that you will find that @Mr Pig was replying to the OP!

seatram

Sep 8, 2017
Ilkeston
Mini update, the tyre hadn't lost any more air being sat at work all day, drove it home fine. Borrowed an air pump from family and pumped it up to the required level.

Checked the pressures when I got to work (left my gauge at work) and it's dropped to 16psi :(

Deffo need to get this sorted, trip to blackcircles website me thinks!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Which rim / tyre combo is this? Surely 12psi you can see that the rubber is buldging under the weight of the rear? Much like me these days with my tummy, haha.. I once had an MK3 Leon with 205/55 R16 tyres with you guessed it, a nail inside it! It was 20psi on Friday, and the warning already beeped after travelling 10 mins. It was one trip a day to top up 10PSI so it could limp to ATS on the Monday.

I guess you would be putting on the exact same make/model of tyre on the affected tyre?

seatram

Sep 8, 2017
Ilkeston
Which rim / tyre combo is this? Surely 12psi you can see that the rubber is buldging under the weight of the rear? Much like me these days with my tummy, haha.. I once had an MK3 Leon with 205/55 R16 tyres with you guessed it, a nail inside it! It was 20psi on Friday, and the warning already beeped after travelling 10 mins. It was one trip a day to top up 10PSI so it could limp to ATS on the Monday.

I guess you would be putting on the exact same make/model of tyre on the affected tyre?

I have 235/35 R19 tyres, I cannot see any bulging at all, it seems absolutely fine. Pumped up the tyre last night back to 36psi and reset the monitoring system.

It didn't go off this morning when I drove to work, checked the pressure when I got to work and its dropped down to 16psi.

Gonna test it again when before I leave to see if there's been anymore loss.

I'll just be replacing the tyre like for like.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I have 235/35 R19 tyres, I cannot see any bulging at all, it seems absolutely fine. Pumped up the tyre last night back to 36psi and reset the monitoring system.

It didn't go off this morning when I drove to work, checked the pressure when I got to work and its dropped down to 16psi.

It's the low profile tyres and less weight on the rear of car that gives the appearance of not being low on pressure. It may not need a new tyre, it might just be the valve leaking, sometimes they just need tightening, put a bit of spit on the valve to see if it's leaking.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I don't think that you want to be driving around with a very soft tyre, why not get the spare on it, that is what they are there for, that car would easily surprise you and cause an accident - and you know already that it has a defective tyre, not clever and the more you drive on this flat tyre the more damage you will inflict on it.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
It's very unlikely that it's the tyre itself. Replacing it will be a waste of money. Get it resealed and a new valve fitted and it will probably be fine.

Reactions: martin j.

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
Aye but the OP has 1300 miles on his car from new. Corrosion is not the issue, more likely a big stinking nail in it.
Maybe, i'm used to Land Rovers. Based on previous experience, i'm convinced some of their equipment is pre corroded before fitting...

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Maybe, i'm used to Land Rovers. Based on previous experience, i'm convinced some of their equipment is pre corroded before fitting...

A friend of mine has an Evoke and he was talking about getting an older RangeRover. I said just be aware that an old RangeRover is not a car, it's a hobby.

Reactions: Woody_72

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
A friend of mine has an Evoke and he was talking about getting an older RangeRover. I said just be aware that an old RangeRover is not a car, it's a hobby.
It's not a hobby, it's a financial commitment!:scary:
But it means joining a big family of people who will always be sympathetic to your cause of suffering :cheers:
Here's a good place to start...

Whichever part has fallen off, there'll be someone who has had the same happen to them and give you tips of how to put it back on/how to live without it/a way to upgrade it.

The last thing I lost was the passenger door top on my 1961 Series 2.
My own fault. It had been hanging on by only one bolt, the front one and had been swinging out forwards when I drove round roundabouts for a coupe of days. It'd happen on the way to work, and i'd mean to fix it lunchtime. Then i'd forget. Then it would do it on the way home, and i'd mean to fix it, and forget. Then one day driving along a country lane to work i'd just driven past a guy walking his dog, who i'd pass most mornings when I heard a strange noise, looked left to see the door top incorporating the glass just fall outwards.
I stopped the car to walk back and pick it up. Then stopped, thinking, what's the point. The glass will be all over the road...
Anyway, I walked over to it just as the dog walker reached it.
"Will it fit on your car?" he asked.
"Should do pal. It just fell off it!"
I couldn't believe that both pieces of glass were not broken!
So I put it back in the car and welded a couple pieces of strip onto it at lunchtime to hold it in place.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
My experience of Landrovers is limited to Series 2 Petrol and Diesel and Series 2a Diesels, as a young boy I did seem to get the job of "bumper to bumper" checking or fixing them when we got brand new ones, built by dummies who either did not know how to assembly them or could not be bothered, plus it was a nuisance when visiting "townies" took them off the well defined metalled roads! Haflingers, now a completely different story, and fun.

Edit:- I still have a passing interest or admiration for some of the last of the Defenders that have a proper dressed up townie look - no dirt tracking for them, but every petrol station must be visited - and there are quite a few "pretty" ones near me, but I must not weaken!

Last edited:

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020

You have two options
1. Carry on putting air in the tyre you know has a puncture and is potentially unsafe
2. Go to a tyre place and get the tyre checked and tested to see why it’s leaking and fixed it replaced if needed.

It really is as simple as that. Get the tyre done before you damage the wheel and cause a accident. Or just keep putting air in it and wondering what’s wrong with it...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.