Uneven wear on front tyres

Ealing Cupra

Looks like I've been running with front tyres over inflated. Uneven wear with centre of tyres much more badly worn than outer edges. I've tended to keep a good eye on tyre pressure. I'm been using what's inside the filler cap (the manual doesn't actually give any info): 32F 29R. Tyres are about 15k miles (had to change both fronts at 5k due to road debris impact.... ouch). Though I'm sure I remember having to drop the front pressures after a tyre fit thanks to garage....

Not sure I trust the filler cap info: it says 95 RON fuel....not 98.

Checking on here this looks like the right settings (standard 18" P ZEROs).

a) Are these the right pressures?
b) Anyone else experienced uneven wear (but to me definitely looks like over pressure rather than e.g. tracking)
c) Anyone recommend a good tyre pressure gauge? Used to have a good old fashioned (non-digital) one, but chucked it after its reading disagreed with two consecutive petrol station air pressure readings.
d) Anyone know of where/how to get best deals on PZero's? Previously used Natinal Tyres as local and needed sorted in a hurry.

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
I suffered similar probs with mine.

I have gone for Nitrogen inflation which in theory keeps the temperature and therefore expansion/rise in Psi down.

I also bought an acutire digital pressure gauge from Demon tweeks (£15) which seems accurate to other gauges and reads in 0.5 psi jumps.

I am now assesing this...

Co2

May 2, 2007
Same happened to me.

The explanation i've found - don't trust gas stations too much.

Frequently their gagues are descalibrated. Too much cars and especially trucks filling their tyres there.

And filling with hot/cold tyres, even using the same PSI value, will give different inflation values afterwars.

For instance, i normally use a gas station from the area. But when changing tyres at the shop i saw that the gauge was showing 2.8bars, when i had just checked the pressure the day after at the gas station to the correct 2.4.

Afterwars i knew that that particular spot over-inflates 0.4bars to what the gauge shows...

The best thing, get a pump and a good gauge and inflate them at home or at a tyre shop.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
If your all running Pirelli,s they are notorious for running out the middles. Just the way they are i suppose. I tried different pressures but it made no difference. My advice is change to another make once their done.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
as mentioned above, if you have Pirelli's then check out the rear tyre tread (or even better a new tyre!) and you will see that the centre section gooves are not cut as deep as the outer sections, therefore the wear may be even over the tyre, but because the centre cuts are shallower then it looks like they;ve worn out quicker.

poor show on the part of Pirelli if you ask me .... but it makes them sell more tyres :whistle:

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
I have just checked my spare wheels (Monza Golf Gti) & tyres with unworn P Zero Rosso tyres on, but they are even grooved, no difference in depth. :blink:

They are for sale if you want to buy... see for sale section ! :D

Co2

May 2, 2007
One of my front tyres, sometime ago, just lost a bit on the side. +/- 20CM of ruber at the corner of the tyre track/wall just disappeard.

Had to buy 2 new ones. So im tangled with Pirellis for some time more. They are not bad. Just to noisy to my taste...

Mike H

Looks like I've been running with front tyres over inflated. Uneven wear with centre of tyres much more badly worn than outer edges. I've tended to keep a good eye on tyre pressure. I'm been using what's inside the filler cap (the manual doesn't actually give any info): 32F 29R. Tyres are about 15k miles (had to change both fronts at 5k due to road debris impact.... ouch). Though I'm sure I remember having to drop the front pressures after a tyre fit thanks to garage....

Not sure I trust the filler cap info: it says 95 RON fuel....not 98.

Checking on here this looks like the right settings (standard 18" P ZEROs).

a) Are these the right pressures?
b) Anyone else experienced uneven wear (but to me definitely looks like over pressure rather than e.g. tracking)
c) Anyone recommend a good tyre pressure gauge? Used to have a good old fashioned (non-digital) one, but chucked it after its reading disagreed with two consecutive petrol station air pressure readings.
d) Anyone know of where/how to get best deals on PZero's? Previously used Natinal Tyres as local and needed sorted in a hurry.

To answer your questions, from my experience:

a) They are the pressures I run without any issues. OEM fitment was Pirelli, but hated the tyres so replaced the fronts with Goodyear asymetric around 15k. Running the same pressures in the Goodyears with noticable handling improvement
b) No uneven wear, so probably no tracking or inflation issues :)
c) I personally rate the ITC gauges and have a couple of these, one in each car, and they both always read the same (a good start), and are within 0.5psi of a standard pressure gauge at work
d) Do you really want P Zeros? :D:D:D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise