Feb 10, 2019
It does work on the very latest Arona 2019 standard unit and the Ateca 2016 plus unit with the firmware it came with and the very latest firmware. The units do have identity model codes in them as I understand it which the software has to know about. That's how the old VW website based one worked.

Is yours the latest standard unit that supports wifi ?. The Arona latest standard unit doesn't have wifi. Wondering whether that could be the model. Wondering whether it's the latest wifi specced standard unit where the issue is on the Seat side.

When you get a solution post up, else it will leave the thread looking like there is still a problem.

Yes, has wifi (useless feature)

Tell

Staff member
Re: not working on the latest Seat standard unit with wifi.

I emailed Radas who confirmed that he's had a few reports of the new navi unit (would be standard with wifi) recognising the data on SD but won't import it.... "there is no solution so far".

You could try one trick but he might have tried that already with people, that's to copy out the contents of a deeper directory from the SD card, put it on the route deleting the rest. This was a trick that you had to do with the MIB2 high at one stage. Not saying that's the solution but you could try it. Possibly doesn't tie up with what Radas said.

Produce the card as per normal as a standard navigation.

Then go to this directory:

F:\PersonalPOI\MIB2TSD

F is your drive letter.

You will see

directory personalpoi and the metainfo2.txt file

Copy just these two back to your hard disk somewhere, delete what was on F completely so you have a blank SD card (this isn't the SD map card BTW)

Then copy the contents directory personalpoi and the metainfo2.txt file to the route of the SD card. This bypasses the check that the VW software does to decide whether it's a high or a standard. That check is in the code we bypass, so if it's failing on that check due to the unit having a new code it's bypassed and goes directly into import.

If that doesn't work then it's not that. It was an old issue that VW use to switch between the high and the standard unit on the website method messing up their list of IDs for the units. The high side in Radas program skips this check (in the musical chairs of the old VW site you had to do it like this yourself) but the standard side still uses the code in what he writes out although at one stage they got that wrong.

Radas might have got someone to try that, but it's worth a try.

I guess failing that once one of the commercial POI outfits have mastered what is going on, one can to learn from that, if it's not the above.

Report back.

Tell

Staff member
Nope... checked it. That's a hanging page that doesn't do anything. We had something like that posted up at the time when the original was removed on another website. Does the HTTP web stuff but nothing else since it's not connected to anything.

May be people have got Rada's program running on the 2019 Seat standard unit with wifi with Poinpsector. Shout either way so we can determine whether it's real or not.

Certainly works on everything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: sebastalian

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Tell, I am determined to get speed camera alerts on my Sat Nav. So, using https://free-speed-cam-updates.web2diz.net/volkswagen-speed-camera-download/ I downloaded Volkswagen 505.58 k updated 4/2019 and Volkswagen combined 3.33m updated 4/2019 unzipped them both onto the same sd card and plonked it into slot 2. After following the installation instructions it loaded 200 fixed cameras and 200 red light cameras but disappointingly no mobile cameras in my pol's. I have not road tested this yet but it looks promising as the icons show up on the maps I just hope that it sounds the alerts. Is this what you do or is it something new?

Tell

Staff member
Tell, I am determined to get speed camera alerts on my Sat Nav. So, using https://free-speed-cam-updates.web2diz.net/volkswagen-speed-camera-download/ I downloaded Volkswagen 505.58 k updated 4/2019 and Volkswagen combined 3.33m updated 4/2019 unzipped them both onto the same sd card and plonked it into slot 2. After following the installation instructions it loaded 200 fixed cameras and 200 red light cameras but disappointingly no mobile cameras in my pol's. I have not road tested this yet but it looks promising as the icons show up on the maps I just hope that it sounds the alerts. Is this what you do or is it something new?

Those are pre-prepared files rather than taking the speed camera file data which has the x,y coordinates in them. The free files may not be up to date and may not have mobile sites in them which yours evidently don't. I think the Google ones are like that plus those in other satnavs. The definition of what a camera is fixed or mobile.

Poinspector reads these free or paid raw files and generates the upload to the car. It will upload any POI or user defined one. That's how I get my destinations in at accurate hiking spots rather fumbling with the cog wheel in DMS. Back on speed cameras I use the PocketGPSWorld subscription ones, £20 per year. They cover fixed and mobile cameras. For Europe you get four file files which cover the lot. UK fixed and mobile, Europe fixed and mobile. You download them... the rest is document on the thread. I use the GPX format for then, that's under the "other" option from memory. Poinspector needs a little bit of work on your behalf to set up the import frame, correct icon size which I cover then after that it's easy to update. That's all covered.

The only question I have yet to resolve is whether there is an issue with the latest standard Seat navigation unit, the one with Wi-Fi. Hearsay evidence of whether there is an issue or not or whether it is an operator error on somebodies part.

If you said you had that unit and poinspector turns out not to work then the file you had would be of use to the developer Radas to get it to work. You can test Poinspector on a small sample of records, I gave them on the thread or spend the £10 or whatever it is to get the program unlocked for larger records.

So question which Seat navigation unit do you have. Does it have WiFi as an option ?. All others we know are fine with the program.

Tell

Staff member
Source Maps in Vag cars

In post 9 I talk about finding locations in Here We Go app as a good similarity to the maps in the car as Here Maps are the ones used in Vag navigation system, correction, although the Here Map branded website holds Vag map updates the maps are sourced differently for the standard Mib2 and Mib2 High (Plus, Discover Pro, Columbus).

Map source used by Vag in Europe (atleast):
  • Mib2 Standard - TomTom
  • Mib2 High - Here Maps
Important point if you are a map contributor and want to help improving these products via the edit and reporting tools:

Standard Mib2 - TomTom

https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools

Plus (Mib2 High) - Here Maps

https://mapcreator.here.com/

Armed with this knowledge it explains why the two systems route you differently based on different data and different algorithms although the user interface is specified the same. Cross checking the cars maps with the sources it became apparent that the standard units maps were TomTom sourced, the jewel case for the SD card mentioning TomTom is also a give away.

Google Maps / Waze

For completeness Google Map errors / additions can be reported following this link for those that find issues with Waze & Google Maps cartography. Uses a similar method to TomTom of identifying issues by pointing at them.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3094088?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Note MY19 / M20 Seat Cars - Standard Navi - POI import - Fixed

This was the place marker to say that POIs could not be imported into the standard navi unit MY19 & MY20 with the build device part number finishing in 877 and 877A will not import user POIs whether generated by Poinspector, commercial or free Pois.

Now fixed with release 6.m of Poinspector released 2nd March 2020. Need to upgrade to this if you have Poinspector or an earlier one distributed before 2nd March 2020.

-----

Leaving the rest of the text as was but the issue is now fixed:

The issues goes across to Leon units. The Mib2 High plus units are fine which we already knew. The issue is not related to the software serial number of the units (0512 / 0514) but part number finishing in 877 and 877A.

The part number can be obtained by

● Press the Infotainment MENU button and
then select Setup .

● In the System settings menu, press the
System information function button.

The top line shows the device part number. If that finishes with 877 or 877A then the unit will not import users Poi's. Seat have acknowledged the issue.

More details on the Spanish thread

https://www.clubseatateca.com/threads/cargar-radares-en-los-nuevos-my19-navy-system.8455/

There are a few red herrings on the thread about the Navigation Plus unit which relate to VW changing the file header, Poinpector takes care of that but commercial or free ones may not so you do the directory copy trick. It's not related to the map provider either which recently changed to TomTom for the standard unit. The real issue is the fault that Seat rolled out into the standard MY19 / M20 units with the part number code covered above.

That's the situation as of October 2019. The check can be carried out if in doubt with future releases.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019
Hi Tell, I have Discovery Pro in my VW. You wrote:

The MIB2 standard and high (Seat Plus) set at 0 for no warning, 1 for a warning warble. The MIB2 High at least computes your speed and distance to warble in time...
There is no known way to alert at a fixed distance, or at least earlier? At this moment my unit alerts me very late, I think.[/QUOTE]

Tell

Staff member
Hi Tell, I have Discovery Pro in my VW. You wrote:

The MIB2 standard and high (Seat Plus) set at 0 for no warning, 1 for a warning warble. The MIB2 High at least computes your speed and distance to warble in time...
There is no known way to alert at a fixed distance, or at least earlier? At this moment my unit alerts me very late, I think.

In the Mib units whether standard or high (Discovery Pro) version 1 or 2 the unit itself works out based on your speed and distance from the camera when to warble. Approaching more slowly less distance, faster more distance - least my understanding although I have never tested that aspect. It was the pre Mib units where it was possible to alter the upload data to the unit to give you greater warning, people used SQL Lite to ammend the upload data - you find that on the internet. Radas the programmer of Poinspector catered for this by allowing you to enter that warning distance parameter but this has been reported to have no effect with the Mib units (that's 0 for no warbler, 1 for on, above 1 you could try but said to have no effect). You could try changing this but I think it will not make any difference as the unit works on speed too the fixed point.

I have in the past used SQL Lite to look at the file Poinspector generates verses what the old VW website program did following along what others did with the previous VW units that you find documented on the net. Poinspector makes a slight adjustment to the database but it is very small... did have that conversation with Radas but he pointed out it made no effect :).

The other way of looking at it is that some of the speed camera POIs are not well digitised to location so there may be instances where the camera warning is not being triggered correctly since the camera has not be digitised to the correct location. The PocketGPSWorld ones you can inspect via their site. If there is one that is troubling you, you could check out the location as being correct.

Lastly the warble sound warning algorithm is within the firmware of the unit. I don't know whether VW may have changed that but I doubt you would want to go to the trouble of changing the firmware.

More likely than not if there is an issue I suspect it may be the quality of how well the speed camera database is digitised rather than anything else. The PocketGPSWorld ones people are happy with although it does have some phantom cameras in it but they tend to be in areas of speed restrictions where mobile camera unit have been entered as fixed and they are not there, but could be there on a different day. You can report the ones you don't like via the PocketGPSWorld website.

Hope that helps.

Dunkelmann

Apr 14, 2018
Muxton, Shropshire
I have successfully imported speed cameras using the info here, POInspect0r and the Pocket GPS World database. I used the top radio button for MIB output. The second radio button gave an error on import (no data or similar).

The SD card contains subdirectories for TSD, HIGH and DE (from memory) but the head unit seems to pick one that works. Is that the case? I read the card directory format should not have this tree structure but you had to copy the contents of one of the MIB directories.

I do not seem to get a warning sound. I chose a distance of 100 (metres?). Does it have to be 1 to get the sound?

There is a lot of talk about MIB STD HIGH etc. that is really confusing. I have an April 2018 Arona. How do I (or anyone else trying this) tell what MIB unit I have? How do I find out what the different MIB units do? Google is not my friend on this.

Tell

Staff member
I have successfully imported speed cameras using the info here, POInspect0r and the Pocket GPS World database. I used the top radio button for MIB output. The second radio button gave an error on import (no data or similar).

The SD card contains subdirectories for TSD, HIGH and DE (from memory) but the head unit seems to pick one that works. Is that the case? I read the card directory format should not have this tree structure but you had to copy the contents of one of the MIB directories.

I do not seem to get a warning sound. I chose a distance of 100 (metres?). Does it have to be 1 to get the sound?

There is a lot of talk about MIB STD HIGH etc. that is really confusing. I have an April 2018 Arona. How do I (or anyone else trying this) tell what MIB unit I have? How do I find out what the different MIB units do? Google is not my friend on this.

The Arona is a mid2 standard. You pick mib2 standard as the export so you don't need to look in the directories, it does that for you.

Select 1 metre for the beeps. 0 metres means no beeps. Have it working on an Arona My 19. It will work.

The beep volume is at the same level as the navigation voice so you need to crank that up to the desired level. You press the right button with navigation destination in, juggle volume to get the navigation sound level up. Use the advanced and demo menu to take the car past a camera. Suspect you either got the navigation level down or the camera isn't set to 1 metre warnings. The actual advance time the unit computes from the cars speed to the POI. It's a phaser type of sound.

Dunkelmann

Apr 14, 2018
Muxton, Shropshire
Thanks Tell. I tried just the contents of the TSD subdirectory on the SD card alone and changed the distance to 1. The demo gave the warning sound. It was the same sound I heard before. It is a pretty quiet non-descript warning signal, easily missed even with automatic lowering of media volume and Sophie's volume at acceptable levels. I wish we had Sophie actually saying "POI coming up".

My conclusion, at least for my car is that a distance of 1 or greater is OK, and you don't need to do anything with the SD card output files since the MIB software chooses the correct one from the three options.

Thanks for your work on this. POInspect0r makes it so easy.

Sophie is what we call the SatNav "Make a U turn if paaahsible"

Tell

Staff member
Glad it's working for you now. The mix volume of the warning against "Sophie" may be down to the firmware version.

In the standard version the pronunciation is different to the high although same voice. She likes to call Pembroke Dock, Pembroke Duck in the standard, although in the high she gets it right :clap:. Not sure whether all Docks are Ducks.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Glad it's working for you now. The mix volume of the warning against "Sophie" may be down to the firmware version.

In the standard version the pronunciation is different to the high although same voice. She likes to call Pembroke Dock, Pembroke Duck in the standard, although in the high she gets it right :clap:. Not sure whether all Docks are Ducks.
Talking of mispronunciations, if it s Manchester she says Man-cheese-ter. But if its abbreviated to M'Cr, she says Manchester fine. I mean WTF?

She gets very posh for London and Paris though. Paris being Pa-ree

Don1961

Apr 11, 2019
Using the Point Inspector to Generate the Upload File (POInspect0r) (for Mib2 standard / high and MIB2.5 standard / high - with warbles)

Recreating the POI safety camera upload / download using Point Inspector (PO) the app should look like this if you use Pocket GPS World to cover fixed and mobile cameras for Europe, although I'm using one extra file based on my destination favourites that I also import. That's 4 files from the subscription safety camera site Pocket GPS World - others are available.

KzVnpEv.jpg

On Pocket GPS World I download the safety cameras in GPX format taking the four files from the database, fixed and mobile, UK and Europe wide in the type Other down load box. They call it "single file" select UK and then Euro downloading two zip files that contain the four GPX files and four bit maps.

It is important to construct the category sets as siblings hanging off the root as shown above for the Discover infotainment unit - top left tree structure. Discover infotainment unit only handles siblings on the route and nothing else.

r8QhNxX.jpg

Prepare your Icons

You can generate the POI categories taking the default graphics within the program then change them to your preferred as shown above. First prepare your icons. The program only reads in PNG images and they can now be in the standard MIB2 format 39x39 with 6.5 version of the program or above - so no need to resize to 34x39 which was the old RNS510 standard. You must enable 39x39 import in preferences if you are using this format.

If you already have a working VW produced download POI update file from their system, then you can copy out the icon's it already has produced of the correct size and file type and use them - they are already 39x39 and ready to be used.

These are in the directory of your last working download from the VW system

MIB2 High (Seat Plus)
:

\PersonalPOI\MIB2HIGH\PersonalPOI\Package\0\default\bitmaps

MIB2 Standard:

\PersonalPOI\MIB2TSD\personalpoi\ppoidb\1\default\icon

If you don't do it this way you can use Paint to derive the PNG files.

You put your PNG icons in a folder in your own directory somewhere and call it's Icons. It's this folder of icons that you can import into the program using Tools, Icon, Folder Import. You do that after you have set up the proforma with the default icon.

Having setup the proforma you can then load your data into it. Unlike the VW site you do not need to read the icons back in, just delete the POI data in the category and import the latest. I use the GPX file structure for this:

bJHbM1a.jpg

During import you toggle on the warble alarm for the MIB2 Standard and High by setting the distance to 1 metres as the alarm distance since the distance and timing is sorted out by infotainment unit based on speed. The previous RNS510 unit which the developer wrote the program original for needed the distance to warn specified. The developer has now provided a check box that you can use instead.

• 0 metre means no warble alarm for that POI set
  • 1 metre a warble for that POI set

Or use the check box instead which is now shown on the updated screen.

7IUbkQ3.jpg

Having read in the data you hit Tools, Transfer current DB to SD card toggling on the MIB2High if that's the unit. Recent version of the software you choose which option you require to export out to rather than toggling. Either way it hangs of the
Tools, Transfer current DB to SD card.

You can use a USB stick as an alternative. You need to delete the contents of the SD / USB card before writing the results. Also you need to select Discover output. If it gives you a database error that's probably because you have the drop down pointing to a drive with nothing in it - remember to click to the correct drive for the SD or USB:

9vkZfoT.jpg

(Nb. Revised screen is slightly different to the image above, you select between standard and high).

The program can be downloaded from here:

http://poinspect0r.blogspot.com/

Release 6.4 or higher is required for the MIB2High, 6.3 is probably fine for standard MIB2. Think this will work for MIB1 as well. Basically everything since the RNS510 to MIB2.5.

At the Car

The card is placed in the infotainment spare SD slot in the car (for the standard unit) or USB for either. You do not use the the map card - the POIs are read into the unit from an SD card or USB. The card or USB can then be removed. You then select update POIs via the settings manage memory menu and follow the instructions.

At this stage if it's the first time you have loaded personal POIs into the unit you may wish to bring up the loaded up POI categories for display. The Mib2 allows up to 10 POI categories to be displayed. This may need to be adjusted if you have taken up all 10 slots so you can see the safety camera icons and any other favourites imported. I tend to use 5 for the inbuilt POIs and 5 for my users POIs (4 european safety camera files and 1 for my favourite destinations).

Note. On the Standard Mib2 the imported categories to show on the screen need to be rebuilt after each POI update. For the MIB2 High the categories remain unchanged. These are selected off the Map sub menu.

The volume of the warble is at the same level as the inbuilt navigation speech. This can be adjusted with a destination set in, by pressing the right steering button on sum MIB2 units (the same button / control for display options) or the lowest right icon below the automatic zoom activation on some recent 2018 / 2019 unit or on all units pressing the right button the MIB2 all units. It will repeat the navigation commands, use left button / dial to adjust the navigation volume to desired. That right button is the one you use to get the navigation voice to give you directions on command - like you didn't hear or you want some now - this one works on all units. Volume can also be controlled by a sub menu but easier during driving to cause the unit to repeat directions again whilst setting the volume.

To test the upload, a simulated drive can be taken by using the advanced menu of the infotainment unit. Put the unit into demo mode. Enter the cars location close to a safety camera by street address, then navigate a route that goes through it. You should hear the warbles if you have toggled them on. You can check the warning distance or leave it for a real drive. Demo mode can be toggled back off again.

The POInspect0r guide also provides useful documentation to import your own favourite POIs. It's a standard VAG Mib program layout for import, the program takes ASC files (comma separated but must have the ASC extension). With changes in Vag sites the record layout can get lost in the mists of time:

http://pi.radas.net/files/Personal POI Quick Start Guide v1.0.pdf

Page 7 shows the ASC field guide:

ASCII file format description

Supported fields:

lon,lat,name,country,region,city,street,house#,phone#

Example:
14.443444, 50.050892, "Speed cam, 50kmh", UK, ,London, a Street, 2118, 005221454787

The layout above can be used for your own favourites. Note the lon and lat column order are swapped from the normal order in the VAG import (normal as in sat nav, Google etc). You can import your own favourite POIs this way, save as a normal destination and in principle the side information on telephone numbers should populate that part of the infotainment system. This is how people who change cars frequently re-populate the cars destinations. It is this approach that I used to get my original Co-pilot destinations into the car, all 180 of them. Destinations defined this way means they show on the map.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....m-external-satnavs-to-the-cars-system.438041/

Hint

I keep a back up copy of the exe file which are updated, so if a release has an issue you can go back to the one that works for you... unlike the VW site that just deletes the web page. Probably a good idea to keep a back up of the database to save having to rebuild if there is a mishap (DB3 files stored in the PI directory). If the programs starts to do weird things then a clean install just copying in the existing DB3 files is recommended (worked for me).

Since posting, the development has moved on a pace from support MIB2 Standard and High to supporting MIB2.5.

Thanks go to the developer Radas for this excellent program to cover the gap that the VAG group have have created :). There is a micropayment for the program of 9 Euros but you can test first on smaller datasets. A sample file is given on post 1 of this thread.

Footnote January 2019

Currently the release is on 6.k it works with the 2019 Seat Standard and Plus. The map software of the app which had an issue after Google changed license agreements has been fixed. Now having access to both the 2019 version of the Mib2 in Standard without Wi-Fi and Plus form the warbles come on at about the same time. So anybody having an issue with an older release needs to update. It's been fixed for use in the southern hemisphere as well.

The developers blog provides details of the changes.

http://poinspect0r.blogspot.com/
I'm looking to do this and have just subscribed to PocketGPSWorld.
However, there are two files each for UK and EUR...... 'Consolidated by Type' and 'Speed Zoned Complete'. Which two do I need, please?

edit: Found it.... just re-read the post..... single file for UK and EUR in GPX format

Last edited:

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
I'm looking to do this and have just subscribed to PocketGPSWorld.
However, there are two files each for UK and EUR...... 'Consolidated by Type' and 'Speed Zoned Complete'. Which two do I need, please?

Consolidated by type is what you need as you can only show so many POI’s on the Sat Nav.

Consolidation shows each camera type and all speeds for that camera types ie all Gatso, Mobile, Average etc.

Speed zones shows (I think) each type by speed type. So Gatso at 70mph, Gatso at 40mph, Mobile at 30mph etc as separate types. ie lots more POI’s which can’t all shown at once as they will be too many of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Don1961

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Consolidated by type is what you need as you can only show so many POI’s on the Sat Nav.

Consolidation shows each camera type and all speeds for that camera types ie all Gatso, Mobile, Average etc.

Speed zones shows (I think) each type by speed type. So Gatso at 70mph, Gatso at 40mph, Mobile at 30mph etc as separate types. ie lots more POI’s which can’t all shown at once as they will be too many of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I'd of loved being able to have it with the little icon and speed in the corner. But the Nav only allows so many POI displayed at once.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise