Uprated fuel pumps for Cupra....

Al

Aug 29, 2005
APR is going to be the educated choice here, but it is really expensive at £600 ish I think. KMD and Autotech internals can be had for half that fitted from various places.

singh123

Cupra
Mar 17, 2008
Iv got the Autotech internals on mine reason being as Djhorace said they worked out cheaper

RobsCupra

Oct 21, 2008
Wrexham
APR is going to be the educated choice here, but it is really expensive at £600 ish I think. KMD and Autotech internals can be had for half that fitted from various places.

Do you have one Al?

Iv got the Autotech internals on mine reason being as Djhorace said they worked out cheaper

How do you find it?Has it been reliable and given you the gains you were expecting?

singh123

Cupra
Mar 17, 2008
It has been reilable for the time i had the HPFP specific software on and it was coping well and was achieving the figures expected but this was only for a period of a couple of months due to having some clutch issues so running stock at the moment

but if i was to do this all over agian id go for the APR it seems now to be the better option

Last edited:

Poverty

once you have fitted a pump I would check the cam follower more frequently as having a HPFP seems to speed up the wear.

Poverty

Where did you get that info?

US forums, its either directly attributed by the fuel pump or the higher tune of engine, but it seems to be that modded cars without the upgraded pump dont wear as quickly as one with the upgraded pump.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
US forums, its either directly attributed by the fuel pump or the higher tune of engine, but it seems to be that modded cars without the upgraded pump dont wear as quickly as one with the upgraded pump.

tbh the way i read it was , people who check their cam buckets for wear are the only ones who will know regardless of the state of tune , it can fail on a completly standard car the same as a fully modded car , the high pressure bit of the fuel pump has no impact on the cam its the pressure , stroke of the pump itself which gives it its rating , still does the same amont of cycles as standard pump.

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
tbh the way i read it was , people who check their cam buckets for wear are the only ones who will know regardless of the state of tune , it can fail on a completly standard car the same as a fully modded car , the high pressure bit of the fuel pump has no impact on the cam its the pressure , stroke of the pump itself which gives it its rating , still does the same amont of cycles as standard pump.

what rob said :yes:

the cam and cam follower (bucket) rub together in exactly the same way before and after the exchange or modified fuel pump is fitted. indeed the same follwer will be used unless a new one is specified.
the fuel pump does not increase the pressure of the fuel, merely delivers more of it to prevent the fuel starvation.

much better explanation HERE

i went for the apr exchange option. mainly because its set up in the factory and the lads in the workshop simply bolt it on, rather than risk the internals rolling around the garage floor.
so far so good! (touches wood)

Al

Aug 29, 2005
tbh the way i read it was , people who check their cam buckets for wear are the only ones who will know regardless of the state of tune
:yes:

It is wise to have it checked every 5000 miles or so. Mine is due a check about now, but I have no reason to suspect any problems with it.

RobsCupra

Oct 21, 2008
Wrexham
any decisions yet?
does your software take advantage of uprated fuel pump?

I'm leaning more towards the Autotech as for the difference in the money I could get a replacement if the first one went the way of the pear.

I have stage 2 Bluefin which feels like it could do with the HPFP mod, but the main reason I'm going for the HPFP is that James from Custom Code is going to be let loose on the car soon to do a ful days custom mapping rather than an off the shelf map. I need the HPFP to take full advantage of his mapping skills! :whistle: Also need an intake as I only have a panel filter curently so looking at Evoms or Dbilas, still undecided there too..... :rolleyes:

ares

Jun 28, 2008
Greece, Athens
If you are going to change pump internals go for Awe's piston (http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/sha..._20t_drivetrain.cfm&PPT=Drivetrain&IL=fsihpfp). In contrast with Autotech's it keeps the original "button" cap on the head which is much smoother. Having a smoother head prolongs the life of the follower. I have Autotech's internals and it has a much more aggressive head, which cuts through the follower's metal faster. If I would given the choice again I would go for APR which uses the OEM button cap among other uprated parts and is pretested.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.