Used 1.8TSI... Anything specific to check/look out for when viewing?

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
As the title says really! I'm probably going to go and have a look at one of these at the weekend as I've found one at a decent price.

Will be coming from a 2.0 diesel 170 FR (12 plate) so will be interested to see what the auto tsi is like.

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011
Hi,

I purchased my 2014 Leon SC 1.8Tsi DSG with 9600 miles on the clock a year ago nearly and love it.

I came from a Ford Focus 1.6 diesel manual and like the extra oomph :p

I've had some issue like others on the like.........

Noisy door cards
Sticking hazard button
Airbag clockspring noise
Wheel bearings being greased...tpi bulletin

Unfortunately all cars have some issues as there mass produced, if your not sure take someone who knows a bit about cars on the test drive etc.

I'm sure it will have some warranty but you could get an extension or extra warranty if you worry like me :(

If I can help more let me know :)

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
As the title says really! I'm probably going to go and have a look at one of these at the weekend as I've found one at a decent price.

Will be coming from a 2.0 diesel 170 FR (12 plate) so will be interested to see what the auto tsi is like.

1.8tsi fuel economy anywhere from 36 to 44mpg, something you will have to adjust to, mine was in the garage for new thermostat/water pump, door card, dash repair, ECU update. like previous post has said some cars have there issues. I think mine was a Friday car but my mate has a Cupra and never had an issue in the last 2 years of ownership. Check all the paint work because Seat are very stingy with the paint thickness, ensure any chips need to be sorted to maintain the bodywork warranty.
Apart from that, a good car/motor.

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
Thanks both for the replies. I won't buy on first viewing, too much money for me to make a decision there and then so if there's anything I'm not happy with I'll bring someone with me second time round (or just leave it)... or make some mental notes and come back on here and ask more questions!

Local private sale. It's done 14,000, 63 plate with 18" alloys (not sure if they're standard on the 1.8 model?), alcantra seats (heated front), sunroof and stop/start engine. Guessing it has warranty until somewhere between Sept-Dec this year. On its 2nd owner. £13,000.... seems a good price?

My motorway driving is basically cruise control on 60mph, so consumption wise I usually get somewhere near to as good as I can from whatever I drive. Main reason for change is that I hopefully won't be doing long motorway commutes soon, so no need for a diesel (although the current price of diesel makes me wonder if I should stick with that rather than switch to petrol?)

Last edited:

jcbmally

Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Thanks both for the replies. I won't buy on first viewing, too much money for me to make a decision there and then so if there's anything I'm not happy with I'll bring someone with me second time round (or just leave it)... or make some mental notes and come back on here and ask more questions!

Local private sale. It's done 12,000, 63 plate with 18" alloys (not sure if they're standard on the 1.8 model?), alcantra seats (heated front), sunroof and stop/start engine. Guessing it has warranty until somewhere between Sept-Dec this year. On its 2nd owner. £13,000.... seems a good price?

My motorway driving is basically cruise control on 60mph, so consumption wise I usually get somewhere near to as good as I can from whatever I drive. Main reason for change is that I hopefully won't be doing long motorway commutes soon, so no need for a diesel (although the current price of diesel makes me wonder if I should stick with that rather than switch to petrol?)

£13k sound ok, it's all depends on what you want to pay for it. I would defo haggle, because there are so many PCP deals out there, used ones are sitting around a while.
More mpg with diesel, another decision you'll have to make fella, I like more miles for my money so I went back to diesel.

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011

Local private sale. It's done 14,000, 63 plate with 18" alloys (not sure if they're standard on the 1.8 model?), alcantra seats (heated front), sunroof and stop/start engine. Guessing it has warranty until somewhere between Sept-Dec this year. On its 2nd owner. £13,000.... seems a good price?

That seems a fair price.

I've 17" wheels would love 18'some thought.
That's low mileage plus like the heated seats :p

I've had diesels for ages but having a quiet petrol and heats up quicker I'm glad I changed.

You won't have to worry about dpf on petrols plus the price of petrol is at an all time low.

I average 41mpg on a daily 50 mile commute 1/2 motoring and the other windey country roads.

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
£13k sound ok, it's all depends on what you want to pay for it. I would defo haggle, because there are so many PCP deals out there, used ones are sitting around a while.
More mpg with diesel, another decision you'll have to make fella, I like more miles for my money so I went back to diesel.

Yeah, I'd probably go in at £12,500 to be honest. Tempting to get the 184 2.0 Diesel version but not too many around, especially at this price. And having heated seats in my current leon has got me addicted to the warmth so whatever I buy will need to have those and there's even fewer with that added extra!

jcbmally

Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
having heated seats in my current leon has got me addicted to the warmth so whatever I buy will need to have those and there's even fewer with that added extra!

I have been under strict rules with the wife on heated seats fella, my last 3 x cars have had them and I couldn't be without them (and as stated the boss says so too), nice to put them on even in the warm days for a nice soothing warm back.
I went back to diesel cause I like the torque and extra mpg.
184 feels so much quicker. ;)

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
I have been under strict rules with the wife on heated seats fella, my last 3 x cars have had them and I couldn't be without them (and as stated the boss says so too), nice to put them on even in the warm days for a nice soothing warm back.
I went back to diesel cause I like the torque and extra mpg.
184 feels so much quicker. ;)

Ha, but the 0-60 time is the same...which seems odd. I guess the diesel pulls better at the lower revs but the petrol will kick faster once it hits a certain rpm? I've very little knowledge of engines so please feel free to correct me!

Unfortunately this is 170 miles from me otherwise I'd be all over it!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...dcars&keywords=184&price-from=11000&logcode=p

Last edited:

jcbmally

Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Ha, but the 0-60 time is the same...which seems odd. I guess the diesel pulls better at the lower revs but the petrol will kick faster once it hits a certain rpm? I've very little knowledge of engines so please feel free to correct me!

Unfortunately this is 170 miles from me otherwise I'd be all over it!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...dcars&keywords=184&price-from=11000&logcode=p

Well yes and no, the 1.8 comes alive at 4k revs and goes on to red line, the diesel torque kicks in around 1.7k revs but goes a bit flat just before red line. I have "tested" both the 1.8tsi and 184tdi along the same stretch of road (up hill) 3 x runs each. The 1.8tsi got to around 90mph, the 184tdi got to 94mph at the same point. Not a huge gap but the derv was quicker. So quicker and more mpg, in my opinion torque is where it's at ;)

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
Well my journeys hopefully won't be long drives soon, longest would be about 25miles each way to my parent's so I don't think that's ideal for a diesel.

Are autotrader and ebay the best places to search or would anywhere else be recommended?

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
The engine, gearbox and brakes on the 1.8TSi DSG are superb. Fuel economy is nothing to write home about and look out for creaks and rattles from the door seals and door cards, as others have advised.

Villers

Billy Villain
Apr 12, 2014
Cumbria
www.horizonwatches.com
There have been instances of cracked rear lights so check those! Also listen out for a clunking from the boot on uneven surfaces at low speeds.

And for convenience check that when you turn on the ignition the screen doesnt tell you to change the key fob battery, that way you can get the dealer to sort it, my 14 plates is running out I noticed the other day ;)

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
There have been instances of cracked rear lights so check those! Also listen out for a clunking from the boot on uneven surfaces at low speeds.

And for convenience check that when you turn on the ignition the screen doesnt tell you to change the key fob battery, that way you can get the dealer to sort it, my 14 plates is running out I noticed the other day ;)

It's a private sale but that's a good note so thanks for the heads up.

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
Will it have a balance of warranty left? Remember some dont have a spare so check to see if the kit is present.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you ;)

Thanks. I'd expect it has til around sept-dec this year until the warranty expires (based on it being a 63 plate). Another thing to check when I view it.

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Just buy it!
I have a 2014 6-spd manual, alcantara heated seats, Seat soundsystem, Big navi, Sunroof, PDC-front and rear, FR pack with 18" and LED etc.
Nice car, needed APR software though...

Thermostat fault, front door rattles and rear brake problem has been the faults so far.

will_0407

Oct 8, 2014
Just buy it!
I have a 2014 6-spd manual, alcantara heated seats, Seat soundsystem, Big navi, Sunroof, PDC-front and rear, FR pack with 18" and LED etc.
Nice car, needed APR software though...

Thermostat fault, front door rattles and rear brake problem has been the faults so far.

If my numbers come in tonight then yes, I will buy it!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.