VAG-COM and Vista

skullarms

Roo
Nov 11, 2008
Hi,
Bought a cheap flea bay lead and downloaded free VAG-COM but cant seem to get it to work on my laptop running Windows Vista. Anyone have a solution or isn't there one???

MATTCR

FR
Mar 6, 2007
UK
What exactly is wrong?

I have vista and vag com and it wouldnt run unless I right clicked and clicked "run as administrator"

Works like a dream....

skullarms

Roo
Nov 11, 2008
maybe i'm stupid lol i could just be doing it wrong! I downloaded vag-com version 409-1, then plugged in my cable, windows automatically installed drivers it found from the internet.
I run the first time test thingy on vag-com and for com 3 i get the following:-
Port status: OK
Interface: Found!
Type: Serial Pass-Through
Opto/Iso: No
Ross-Tech Design: No

I saved this configuration, took the Laptop to the car, ignition on, and plugged cable in and.....nothing lol.
Am not sure the drivers are right, or I need to do something else??
I have a fault light on the car now, came on a few days ago, so really wanna get this working to try and correct the problem, anyone know from the above details what i'm doing wrong??

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Near Philadelphia, PA, USA
The 409 and 311 shareware versions of VAG-COM that are compatible with the cheap wires are not compatible with Vista. Lots of threads here about how to get that running under Vista. 311 was released in 2003. 409 was released in 2004. Vista was released in 2006/2007. You have to run the software in XP compatibility mode. It's documented on the FAQ pages on our web site.

MATTCR

FR
Mar 6, 2007
UK
maybe i'm stupid lol i could just be doing it wrong! I downloaded vag-com version 409-1, then plugged in my cable, windows automatically installed drivers it found from the internet.
I run the first time test thingy on vag-com and for com 3 i get the following:-
Port status: OK
Interface: Found!
Type: Serial Pass-Through
Opto/Iso: No
Ross-Tech Design: No

I saved this configuration, took the Laptop to the car, ignition on, and plugged cable in and.....nothing lol.
Am not sure the drivers are right, or I need to do something else??
I have a fault light on the car now, came on a few days ago, so really wanna get this working to try and correct the problem, anyone know from the above details what i'm doing wrong??

You didnt mention if you tried searching or not? plugging in and turning ignition on wont find any faults lol - you need to go to auto search, or search module.

skullarms

Roo
Nov 11, 2008
lol mattm yea i did, but all i got was controller not found, tried various different modules, engine, electrics etc, but nothing

MATTCR

FR
Mar 6, 2007
UK
sounds like you havent assigned the correct port fellas

you need to go to device manager (instructions on the forum somewhere...) and assign port 3 (for example) then when you go to test you need to click COM 3 (so that when the cable is plugged into COM 3 and vag com searches the correct port) then the controller should be found.......

thats from my experience im no vag com pro :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise