Vag Com fake cable - Buy or not?

Willz17

Jun 27, 2012
South Wales
Good morning,

Basically, I need some code reading done on my car, and dont really want to fork out £200+ for an genuine cable....... Is it worth buying a cheap one of ebay just for code / clearing codes? Is it true that you can use these fake cables aslong as you dont connect to the internet whilst using it?

Hopefully it doesnt damage the car.
Anyone else using fake cables?

Let me know
Thanks =]

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
If you had a mark 1 then i'd say yes no problem. Because the mark 2 are canbus, its not as easy to find.

Check the hundreds of other posts for links to cheap mark 2 compatible leads.

JP6

Aug 18, 2012
West Sussex
Was going to come here and ask the same question. I see there's some cables on eBay for around £5 that are compatible with CAN-BUS but I'm not sure about the software side of things.

Do I have to pay for some software to use?

hungabunga

Mar 11, 2005
i have one and they work fine, you are correct as long as you don't have a active internet connection while the cable is plugged in it will be fine. if you do connect the cable gets zapped

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
Get from DHGate.com

I had one which worked absolutely perfectly until my laptop decided to connect to my router's Wi-Fi (which is in the 6th floor!!) and then it stopped working. Just disable your computer's Wi-Fi adapter before using the VAG-COM cable and you'll be fine.

http://www.dhgate.com/vag11-11-com-...11-11/p-ff80808137e9e97001382ce694bb153e.html

20 USD and you're good to go, mate. Good luck!

I recognise that link! ;)

The cable from this link will work just fine. I also put a block on my Internet so it can't connect to the website that breaks the cable!

Jul 13, 2009
Hereford
Just to say I had a chap who come round to clear and check a fault he had a cheap cable and it would only read some of the control units! mine went straight in and cleared all :)
Just drive over here and stop being lasy lol

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
I recognise that link! ;)

The cable from this link will work just fine. I also put a block on my Internet so it can't connect to the website that breaks the cable!

I am assuming you do that by editing the hosts file, correct? If so, can you please either take a screen shot of your hosts file or just give me the address to add? Thank you, Rob!

By the way, how's the retrofit going? Any news? :D

JP6

Aug 18, 2012
West Sussex
Get from DHGate.com

I had one which worked absolutely perfectly until my laptop decided to connect to my router's Wi-Fi (which is in the 6th floor!!) and then it stopped working. Just disable your computer's Wi-Fi adapter before using the VAG-COM cable and you'll be fine.

http://www.dhgate.com/vag11-11-com-...11-11/p-ff80808137e9e97001382ce694bb153e.html

20 USD and you're good to go, mate. Good luck!

Does this come with the appropriate software? And will it clear/read faults as well as enable vagcom settings, such as needle sweep, etc?

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
I am assuming you do that by editing the hosts file, correct? If so, can you please either take a screen shot of your hosts file or just give me the address to add? Thank you, Rob!

By the way, how's the retrofit going? Any news? :D

Will try and get round to it later when I fire up the laptop (on the iPad now).... I'm sure though if you do a google search it will come up on other forums for VWs etc.

Still awaiting the parts to arrive....will be a few weeks for the FX-Rs and other bits.

Seem to have other issues now with the brakes now working correctly...taking it up with Seat Uk on Monday as I'm not happy! :censored:

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
You're most welcome, mate. I am actually going to order one in a few since mine got fried because my computer decided to access the internet while I was working on the car. Best of all, HONGKONGPOST shipping is free! lol

@Rob, alright dude, thank you. I am going to see if I can find it online, if not I'll PM you. And good luck with the retrofit, I cannot wait to see the outcome however long it takes. ;)

Willz17

Jun 27, 2012
South Wales
Just to say I had a chap who come round to clear and check a fault he had a cheap cable and it would only read some of the control units! mine went straight in and cleared all :)
Just drive over here and stop being lasy lol

I would drive over mate, its just i always struggle for time! =[

Get from DHGate.com

http://www.dhgate.com/vag11-11-com-... is delivery to the UK? Let me know Thanks

JP6

Aug 18, 2012
West Sussex
Delivery says 11-31 days.. So could be a while before it arrives. You can choose faster shipping for a price though.

68tbZ.png

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
You'll find an estimated shipping time when you choose "Add to Basket" or "Buy it now". I am not sure how long it will take, to be honest, but to me it doesn't matter as I already did everything I wanted to do, haha. By the way, one week is nothing, mate, it'll take 11 - 27 days to arrive at my house (what takes so long is when it actually arrives at Egypt and our national post delays it. I remember when I ordered LED sidelights from hids-direct, they came to Egypt and I received them about TWO weeks later because of the delay over here, what a horrible mailing system we have!!

I just tried searching on eBay UK for you but I couldn't find any that would work on our CAN-BUS system, just the older KKL one. DHGate is your best bet!

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
You're most welcome, mate. I am actually going to order one in a few since mine got fried because my computer decided to access the internet while I was working on the car. Best of all, HONGKONGPOST shipping is free! lol

@Rob, alright dude, thank you. I am going to see if I can find it online, if not I'll PM you. And good luck with the retrofit, I cannot wait to see the outcome however long it takes. ;)

Hewre you go Tarek.

Open the hosts file in notepad (make sure you are in it as administrator) and add the following

127.0.0.1 ross-tech.com

127.0.0.1 ross-tech.com
127.0.0.1 www.ross-tech.com
127.0.0.1 update.ross-tech.com

Then save

Works just fine.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.