Vag Com fake cable - Buy or not?

skoolz

Does this come with the appropriate software? And will it clear/read faults as well as enable vagcom settings, such as needle sweep, etc?

Hi guys, regarding the DHGate link, what version software is it, 10.3 etc? Also is the cable compatible with my Altea 07 1.9 reference as I think I need a Hex-Can as the can allows connectivity to newer models and the listings suggests its only a Hex?

Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
Hey mate

The cable listed uses VCDS software version 11.11, which I believe is the latest. The software comes with the cable on a small CD so you shouldn't worry about how to obtain it.

To be honest I am not familiar with Alteas, but a Google search showed me that it hasn't changed since 2004, so I am not sure if you'd need a CAN-BUS cable or a KKL one? The cable listed IS HEX-CAN, mate, although it doesn't say it. If you zoom in the picture you'll see it says "Dual-K & CAN <-> USB", therefore it is CAN-BUS compatible.

This is what it says "ewest Update VAG COM 11.11 is the first affordable tool with any support at all for VW Crafter vans, and of course compatibility with all the latest 2012 model VW/Audi Group passenger cars. VAG COM11.11 is fully compatible with all VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda models through the current model year, including models using a direct CAN connection for diagnostics." If yours is CAN-BUS, it should work fine. If not, then I guess you'll need another cable.

How you determine whether or not your car is CAN-BUS is beyond me, to be honest, although you can try Google and see.

This is the link for the cable so you wouldn't have to go back to the previous page to obtain it:

http://www.dhgate.com/vag11-11-com-...11-11/p-ff80808137e9e97001382ce694bb153e.html

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
OKAY! I have good news, the cable WILL work with your car with no problems whatsoever as long as you don't connect to the internet while using.

This is what it says on Ross-Tech's website:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/canbus.html

What Cars Use CAN for Diagnostics? (Click on the links of info on each vehicle)

2004+ Seat Altea (5P chassis)

So you should be good to go.

By the way, I've just realized that the cable listed will also work with older cars since it's a HEX-CAN and has "Dual-K" compatibility.

hungabunga

Mar 11, 2005
BeartheBruce the original cable is just too costly for the average home user who wants to enable alarm beep or the needle sweep etc. I would be more than happy to buy a cable upto £60-70 or pay for each use. I realise a lot of development goes into it but you could turn over a higher volume at lower cost.
If you had a home user version that locked the cable to a car (say 2-3 vehicles) to stop garages etc. buying on the cheap I am sure you would get lots of purchases.
I have used my cable now to reset the airbag light and change alarm beep and prob won't use it again until there is a fault which the lite version does anyway.
I am sure most of the forum members would agree maybe start a poll with the question.

Sully

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Near Philadelphia, PA, USA
This argument has been made many times over. The simple fact of the matter is that it doesn't make it less expensive to build. We still have to do all the work. We still have to provide all the same hardware. We still have to do all the research.

Are you aware that without the work Ross-Tech has done, you would not have the ability to do that which you have done on your car, Sully?

Besides a Ross-Tech based product, there are few others that can do this work - and most of those got their information from the work we did because we put much of our work on the web for free. The factory tool sells for $7000USD. The nearest other competing device to the factory tool sells for $6500 USD. VAG-Tacho and VAG Commander - while they do some of the same things our tool does, their real price is still higher than Ross-Tech's - if you buy real. Want a flashing tool to update ECUs? $2500 USD plus daily use fees. Want me to keep going?

The Chinese produce lots of product most of which are ripoffs of others work. Nearly all of that product sells for way less than the original work. Why is that? Those who make fakes do nothing but stamp out crap cheap hardware based on someone else's design efforts. They bring no value other than low price. Every time we buy from them, we enable them to continue doing it for not only this product but for other products - maybe one in which you may be involved.

Ross-Tech gave an alternative to the factory tool at a reasonable price. Potential users can team up with a bunch of buddies, buy a legit unit and share it to lower the cost of ownership.

But that is not what most buyers want.. most want the full tool in their hands so when it is convenient for them, and when they need it, they can use it to do all the work on their car that needs done. It seems on this forum that most do not care from whom they buy. Price is the only issue. The idea is that buying fakes is not hurting anyone, right? "Ross-Tech is a big company - they make lots of money - it doesn't matter if I enable the theft of their product. I won't use it enough to justify spending £260."

Sully, what do you do for a living? Would you like someone stealing your work and selling that work for less than you do? For lower than your cost to make the product? How would you stay in business? How would you keep your top quality product at top quality? Would you be willing to help users for free? Would you be willing to keep information about how to diagnose and fix VAG cars updated and current on the web?

My point is, buying fakes does matter. It matters for each and every one of us. Every time we buy a fake product, we enable the money we spend to flow into a country that is flooding the world markets with ripped off fakes. Have you seen the news about the air bag units? Do you follow what is really happening?

Sure, money is dear to all of us. Justification for buying something has to be based on value. Speaking of value, did you think about the fact that if you save 3 trips to the repair shop for a diagnostic scan, that you will have nearly saved the cost of this tool?

Flame away folks.... I've had my say and I will not enter in further discussion...

hungabunga

Mar 11, 2005
Hi Bruce

Your points are valid and I am not disputing the effort that ross-tech have put into the product, I was just saying if there was a lower cost cable that was limited to say 3 vehicle based on ecu serial for example then you you would get more purchases from the VAG community which is huge.
The team up idea is a good one and I had not thought of that will see if I can drum up enough users.

Sully

JP6

Aug 18, 2012
West Sussex
I would drive over mate, its just i always struggle for time! =[

Is there anyone who has a cable from the UK?
So shipping doesnt take so long? I dont really want to wait 1 week =[

How long is delivery to the UK?
Let me know
Thanks

Arrived today, was shipped on the 22nd Oct so took 11 working days.

Theresias

There already is a lower cost version specifically for enthusiast users, it has been there for years. The UK price seems to be around 200 GBP. The suggestions regarding a limited VIN version isn't feasible for us, development and production costs aren't going down any further and in the end let's face it you cannot just sell to break even...

So as Bruce suggested, if you can't afford it instead of stealing our work teaming up would be the best solution for everybody involved.

Heffs123

I recognise that link! ;)

The cable from this link will work just fine. I also put a block on my Internet so it can't connect to the website that breaks the cable!

Hi, Has anyone got an up to date link for the cable. This link is old so does not work anymore. Want to get one ordered asap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heffs123

Really? There have been several clear statements about the legality of that offer and you still ask for it? For us who created that product it is pretty much like a kick in the lower portions of our body. Thanks for your support.

I read the first few posts and jumped right to the end. I did not read any of the posts about the legality of the product so knew nothing about it. I thought it was just a cheaper type of cable for people to use at home with their laptop instead of purchasing an entire computer that garages use!
Im new to all this car stuff and know nothing about it! As you have explained to me i will not buy this version!!
Can you please send me a link of the proper version please.......

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.