Vagcom

sas2003

Feb 8, 2015
Hi , I am based in torquay south devon , are there any decent Mechanics around this area please , need help have got a poorly cupra**, will travel a short distance but car is spluttering as and when it feels like it , i did get a mate to hook it on his diagnostics but no codes or faults showing .There is no engine light on dash when this happens . I've recently replaced plugs , filters and oil change . I cleaned the maf at the same time . The car ran smoothly for a few days after this . Then developed the splutter and power loss . So I then changed all 4 coil packs on the advice of a mechanic who runs a cupra . Took for a test drive all seemed fine . 1 hr later went out again and misfire / splutter back . This happens randomly . Any suggestions . Thanks

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Thats a weird one mate, was the diagnostic reader just a generic OBD2 one or was it Vagcom/VCDS? I couldn't work ourt from the title if you needed someone with vagcom or that was what you read the codes with.....Vagcom will read a lot more codes then a generic reader so that's the way to go if you've not already done so. If it's spluttering quite bad then there should be a code of some sort.

sas2003

Feb 8, 2015
Dont know a great deal about diagnostics only that it was a " snap on " machine , i,m looking for someone local that is clued up on cupras . As ive said it will run smoothly then for no reason just splutter almost like over fueling as occasional pops from exhaust .

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
It sounds like a misfire which 99% of the time is a coilpack, but i know you've already changed them..... Hopefully someone local will have Vagcom and can help you out. I'm not an expert on snapon machines but i think that will just have read the basic OBD2 codes. Vagcom can read all of SEAT/VW's own fault codes, there are something like 5x as many of them as there are OBD2 codes so that might reveal something. My only thought apart from that is maybe it's the wiring to one of the coilpacks, you could have a intermitant loose connection there although i would expect that to cause the "check engine" light to flash while it was misfiring

Last edited:

sas2003

Feb 8, 2015
Just a quick update . Car been in garage again today . All cylinders running smoothly and electrics check out fine . Not too sure about a software update I paid £50 for but was told it can help . Further investigation led to fuel supply . The fuel pump was tested for pressures where it's showing 2bar at the engine . I believe that the correct pressures should be 3bar . With this in mind I remembered that I didn't change the fuel filter . So will change this tomorrow and see if that makes a difference . If not its going to be another £200 plus bill .

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Yeah it's worth changing the filter first. The pumps are getting old on these cars now, seem to be hearing more and more cases of them failing. Yours sounds like it's failing if it's really only putting out 2bar, as like you said they should be 3bar.

Last edited:

sas2003

Feb 8, 2015
Update , it was the fuel pump , i managed to find one at a local breakers for £20 , on the way there pump failed completely , had AA tow me to breakers , fitted new pump , now runs sweet as . Still dont quite understand why my fuel consumption went through the roof with a failing pump , but all sorted . Quick cheap fix in the end :) .

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.