VNT excercise using vagcom, questions

cypher007

Jul 13, 2008
i went into the engine block then basic settings and ran group 11, but the car's rpm didnt go upto 1400rpm, as some people have said, it just stayed at idle with the display showing duty cycle and the on of cycle. does this mean it worked? also how long should i run it for?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Not sure - are you able to see the VNT actuator arm ? If so, it should move to/fro as the duty cycle er, cycles.

cypher007

Jul 13, 2008
not had a look

i ran it last night at work so didnt want to start taking engine covers off to have a look.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
VNT actuator is on the turbo,so you'd need to be under the car. Don't think the engine covers need to come off.

brad1

if I give my car a good thrashing, after about 20 mins of racing etc on private road ofcourse lol, it goes into limp mode and shows charge pressure control positive deviation, it's weird cause the more I thrash it, and the hotter its obviously getting, the more and more it overboosts higher during gear changes, like 35psi and will hold it and I have to let off the throttle to stop it boosting, it doesn't use hardly any oil and it's a pd130 turbo on a asv 110, apart from this it runs fine, anyone?
Maybe where im running a side mount intercooler maybe causing this problem, maybe if i get a fmic it will solve this problem ??

Last edited by a moderator:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
It used to when I tried it on my Ibiza - but that's not to say different ECUs/years will be the same.
If you can see the cuty cycle for the actuator is cycling then I guess it's probably working - don't really see why this test would need the engine to run at slightly higher RPM to work anyway.

landie9

Hi i've got a 110 tdi Leon and when using Vag Com to cycle the VNT the revs stay at 900rpm. You can see the turbo cycle if you look down into the engine below the EGR valve, you will see a rod move every time the turbo cycles.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Hi i've got a 110 tdi Leon and when using Vag Com to cycle the VNT the revs stay at 900rpm. You can see the turbo cycle if you look down into the engine below the EGR valve, you will see a rod move every time the turbo cycles.

Sounds like the revs don't change on non-PDs then.

cypher007

Jul 13, 2008
update

i can see the actuator from the top of the engine, but its only going up and down maybe 5mm, is this ok or is it sticking?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.