VNT Turbo on a 1.8t Vag block

JAY DE

Work in progress....
Apr 4, 2007
Sunny Essex
This turbo has always been a big thing on one of my previous cars because it has no lag !!!:funk:

It uses the a T3 flange

It's not water cooled so you will need a oil cooler...

Do you recon its possible to fit one to a vag block ??

:)

JAY DE

Work in progress....
Apr 4, 2007
Sunny Essex
It just works different because it has veins that control the boost instead of actuator :)

Its also a diesel turbo.. Some are also capable of 400bhp ;)

minimivic

Drives a 16v mini
Aug 26, 2006
Dorset
www.btinternet.com
A friend and I experimented with VNT's on a 3000GTO new garrett t28VNT.
They do not like high EGT, the vanes melt. They do not like high boost, the vanes fall apart and destroy the turbo. Other than that the car pulled from nothing and went like a train. I actually mocked up my manifold with a VNT but decided againt it after the troubles we had.
Porsche use electronic VNT turbo's but some tuners take them straight off and replace with normal turbo's.

JAY DE

Work in progress....
Apr 4, 2007
Sunny Essex
They do not like high EGT, the vanes melt. They do not like high boost, the vanes fall apart and destroy the turbo. Other than that the car pulled from nothing and went like a train. I actually mocked up my manifold with a VNT but decided againt it after the troubles we had.
Porsche use electronic VNT turbo's but some tuners take them straight off and replace with normal turbo's.

Umm that intesting... The R5 boys run up to 300bhp + with no running issues :confused:

Your right about the pulling like a train, its insane...!!

A good friend of mine thinks it quite a possbilinty but i really didn't see it TBH and just wanted to see what you guys though..

Wilko

Badge snob
A diesel under normal fueling conditions will run in the high 400's, but over fuel them excessively and you could get them into the 700-750 range, with sustained full throttle, so 100 degreees lower than a petrol. Downpipe not turbine inlet temps
A petrol runs very close to stoich, whereas a diesel over airs by upto 100%. Stoich A:F is very similar, but diesels make low smoke, good power at around 18:1. Any richer, and they smoke like a trooper.

Garret quote 898C max turbine inlet for their vnt series turbos.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
QUOTE]

My cars EGT peaks at 950 C and no vane problems yet. Diesels run a lot higher boost then petrols with stock 1.9 PD 150 running about 1.3 bar and remapped 1.8 bar. My car is still on a fairly safe map which peaks at 2.5 bar and settles to about 1.8 bar. Would have thought if you want a quick spooling turbo for a petrol car look at the twin scroll design turbos that are comming on the market that are designed for petrol engines.

minimivic

Drives a 16v mini
Aug 26, 2006
Dorset
www.btinternet.com
TT say do not exceed 1bar on petrol VNT, thats what they run the cossie at. we ran at 1.6bar and they both fell apart within 50 miles, dropped some t34's on and all good now for 10k miles.

JAY DE

Work in progress....
Apr 4, 2007
Sunny Essex
My cars EGT peaks at 950 C and no vane problems yet. Diesels run a lot higher boost then petrols with stock 1.9 PD 150 running about 1.3 bar and remapped 1.8 bar. My car is still on a fairly safe map which peaks at 2.5 bar and settles to about 1.8 bar. Would have thought if you want a quick spooling turbo for a petrol car look at the twin scroll design turbos that are comming on the market that are designed for petrol engines.

Umm i think i'm with you on this devonmikeyboy.. A have just spoken to a friend and he told me his EGT's are in excess of 900c and he has close to 300bhp on a 1.4 petrol.

He has run the car for more than a year or so and has had no problems :confused:

minimivic Was the car running VNT's fitted with an oil cooler or two ?

minimivic

Drives a 16v mini
Aug 26, 2006
Dorset
www.btinternet.com
Yeh large oil cooler, its a Drag race car/occasional road car.

I'd be well interested to see some results from someone brave enough to do this on a 1.8t. But it won't be me yet,personal experience (luckily not my money) hasnt been favourable here.

JAY DE

Work in progress....
Apr 4, 2007
Sunny Essex
Its strange becuase my mate has been talking about it for a while and thought that with all the power he is running that it would work even better on a 1.8 block with more air to move :confused:

If i had time and a garage i would try myself !

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I've wondered about this for a while, but had it in the "too aft to ask" pile.

Bentley run variable vanes on some of their motors, too.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
this is neat
vtg-sequenz.gif

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.