Warranty dispute

phillsw

Hi all,

This is my first post on this site and as you all seem a helpful bunch i was hoping a few of you might give me some input on warranty dispute i have.

Hopefully i won't go on too much, but here it is.

I bought my car (52 plate Leon 20v non-turbo) in february 2005 from Seat Autoworld.

Around september time the excess pollution light came on. It did'nt seem to be effecting the running of the car, but i figured it's obviously telling me something's wrong so i should get it sorted - especially as the car was still under manufacturers warranty until October.

I took it back to Autoworld who linked it upto the computer, reset the car's engine management or whatever,but said they couldn't find a problem and if it happened again to bring it back.

I took the car in for it's service in November and a few days later the light came on again. So i took it back.

This time they told me it was a faulty cooling sensor which needed replacing, but as the warranty has expired, i'd have to pay "at best your looking at £100" they said.

I argued saying it should be covered under warranty because i brought it in with this issue in september, but they couldn't diagnose it.

The best i've had from them is. "you'll have to pay for it and than we can try and claim it/some of it back through a Seat goodwill payment or something"

I've even spoke to Seat who told me the same.

To me it's black and white - goodwill doesn't come into it. Problem arose under warranty. Should be covered under warranty.

Anyone any ideas on the best way to go about getting this sorted? It may only be £100, but i could put it to better use. I'm not letting them bum me! [:@]

Thaks in advance.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I kind of agree with you, but it's a tough call. As far as I know the garage gets authorisation from SEAT for the warranty claim before they start the work (well, after they have looked at the car the first time thenthey get authorisation, order the bits and fit them under warranty). So they appear to be sticking to their guns on the fact it's not a warranty claim.

However, it sounds to me like yours has the fairly common "Error in mapped coolant sensor" problem - which you would think you might get some kind of goodwill gesture from SEAT.

To me you have two courses

1) let them get on with the work, be nice to the garage and to SEAT and hope you get something back.

2) ring Euro Car Parts and order a Green top coolant sensor, 'o' ring and clip (they'll know what you mean) which will total about £20, search the web for "coolant sensor" and fit it yourself (makes sure the car's cold) in about ten minutes flat.

yellowleon

sorry replys so late but only just joined up but can tell you the policy on warranty is that the vehicle has to be under the warranty at the time the part is fitted unfortunatly it doent matter if it was reported before hand their way of looking at it is that it is the dealers and your responsibility to fix it while its under warranty. You only have to get autorisation to fit expensive parts like gearbox's and engines. Harsh but it may be worth sending a letter to seat complaining and requesting a good will contribution and just let them know how you are not happy with the service provided.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Warranty issues

phillsw said:
Hi all,

This is my first post on this site and as you all seem a helpful bunch i was hoping a few of you might give me some input on warranty dispute i have.

Hopefully i won't go on too much, but here it is.

I bought my car (52 plate Leon 20v non-turbo) in february 2005 from Seat Autoworld.

Around september time the excess pollution light came on. It did'nt seem to be effecting the running of the car, but i figured it's obviously telling me something's wrong so i should get it sorted - especially as the car was still under manufacturers warranty until October.

I took it back to Autoworld who linked it upto the computer, reset the car's engine management or whatever,but said they couldn't find a problem and if it happened again to bring it back.

I took the car in for it's service in November and a few days later the light came on again. So i took it back.

This time they told me it was a faulty cooling sensor which needed replacing, but as the warranty has expired, i'd have to pay "at best your looking at £100" they said.

I argued saying it should be covered under warranty because i brought it in with this issue in september, but they couldn't diagnose it.

The best i've had from them is. "you'll have to pay for it and than we can try and claim it/some of it back through a Seat goodwill payment or something"

I've even spoke to Seat who told me the same.

To me it's black and white - goodwill doesn't come into it. Problem arose under warranty. Should be covered under warranty.

Anyone any ideas on the best way to go about getting this sorted? It may only be £100, but i could put it to better use. I'm not letting them bum me! [:@]

Thaks in advance.

Well has a retired Warranty Engineer I beleive you do have a case The problem was identified during warranty (abiet the agent took the cheap route and reset data) therefore it should be logged on the Seat data base?? and you should have a valid claim.
I had a issue with VW re cam belt @ 38K which a agent wanted me to pay £400.00 under warranty I rejected this and wrote direct to VW and asked them to sort it out and by the by if the cam belt goes it will cost you VW £2k this was done in three weeks!! You have to be very careful how you write/layout your claim to Seat -good luck. ........................