Water causing dashboard christmas tree?

JR750

Jul 18, 2009
Problems with my Ibiza MK4 TDi

1 - ABS Light Came on when I was on the motorway following a new set of brakes all round

2 - Engine Management Light came on the next day and has remained constant ever since.

3 - Power Steering Light comes up when I first start the car. If I turn the car off then back on it goes away. This light has showed up a few times in the past but is now coming up every time I start the car in the morning.

4 - Driver door central locking will not open with fob if car has been left for a while. I can open it with the key just fine, Once I have unlocked it the fob works just fine for locking and unlocking. Passenger door is unaffected and works perfectly.

Driving is normal, no problems to report here still goes like a rocket.

What I have done

I have taken it to a mechanic who plugged in one of those VAG COM machines. It came up with the front left ABS sensor which has now been changed but the lights remain. I'm now told I'm best off booking it in at a dealer as they think some water has gone in somewhere and is messing with the electrics.

I have stripped the driver door down to look for obvious signs of leaks as this was the first thing to start playing up a few weeks ago but cant see anything alarming.

Any ideas before this turns into an excuse to get a Cupra :help:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Well the ABS light could be due to a damaged wheel sensor whilst the brakes were being replaced. The other stuff I think could be to do with poor connections to the back of the instrument cluster. IIRC the immobiliser and remote key pairing all goes through to the instrument cluster too.

BTW a new instrument cluster is £500+ plus fitting and coding at a Seat dealer, I know because I asked when my brother had probs .

JR750

Jul 18, 2009
Probably an important point... the door only plays up if there's been any rain, but the other problems are constant.

wenman

Red Ibiza 1.8T
Mar 28, 2009
Cheshunt
I know this sounds stupid but have the ABS sensors been reconnected?
Since the brakes have been done I mean?
Read about a Mk5 Golf having similar lights flashing up turned out to be a sensor left disconnected!

JR750

Jul 18, 2009
Yep, we thought it was the ABS sensor itself so that has been replaced but it's still the same.

Looks like I'll have to take it to the dealer ... any ideas what it'll cost me? [:@]

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise