water injection

ibiza-cupra

May 6, 2006
castleford
Hi.......i am currently modding my cupra for more gee gee's and im considering water injection as an alternative to a larger intercooler as i know the gains and benafits are impressive but.......ive never seen it on a 20vt lump before:confused:

Does anyone know of this conversion on the vag engine:think:

t18con

Mar 21, 2002
n.i.
Visit site
the car would need mapped to get any gains from the water injection. so go for the intercooler!every modded turbo car in the country running a big front mount cant be wrong!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
ibiza-cupra said:
Hi.......i am currently modding my cupra for more gee gee's and im considering water injection as an alternative to a larger intercooler as i know the gains and benafits are impressive but.......ive never seen it on a 20vt lump before:confused:

Does anyone know of this conversion on the vag engine:think:

I run Aquamist on mine. System 1S, basic system, ~£299+vat approx.
you dont have to map the car for it... it will make its own benefit from cooler induction temps and the factory ecu will run of the cooler temps it already measures.

Ideally on a chipped/remapped car you will see some gains (more over see less losses when hot in reality)

regards
bill

cu51pra

black ibiza cupra
Mar 15, 2005
harlow in essex
2 of my friends run water injection on there ibiza one is remapped the other is ihi and they think its great. they make there own kits up so i getting mine done for £80 which isnt bad really:)

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Craig! said:
Would you run an FMIC and Aquamist, Bill? Been thinking about doing it as the lower the intake temps the better!

It would depend on the power and boost I was pushing.
On my large FMIC, previously it made little difference to AIT's, but would remain more consistent on long runs. (ie a lap round the nurburgring in hot weather)
Intake mani was cool to touch on return with it on (running 10-15% methanol water mix). When I ran out of methanol, and ran plain water the mani was luke warm on return. This was on IHI running 23-25psi boost.

I chose to never map it to utilise water injection, and preferred to use it as a safety to control temps for the sustained track bashing the car does.

JKing

Cupra-R
Aug 9, 2003
Mansfield, Notts
photobucket.com
never fully understood water injection. Am I right in thinking its a fine mist of water sprayed into the lntake or is it just water sprayed across the intercooler??

Surely spraying water into the intake is not a good idea

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
JKing said:
never fully understood water injection. Am I right in thinking its a fine mist of water sprayed into the lntake or is it just water sprayed across the intercooler??

Surely spraying water into the intake is not a good idea

Water injection is spraying water into the motor yes.
water spray on IC is something else.

WI is effective in controlling EGT's and detonation. Usually a water/methanol mix. (latent heat of evaporation type thing if you can remember any physics lessons)

http://www.waterinjection.info/phpBB2/

^^ more info ^^

JKing

Cupra-R
Aug 9, 2003
Mansfield, Notts
photobucket.com
cheers bill, good info there. I just allways thought water into the engine was a bad idea, I guess if it's just a fine mist though then it should be ok. Just talking from experience as a friend who had a low air feed for his CAI went through a ford which was deeper than he though. Sucked in water through the intake and killed his engine. Obviously this was a larger volume of water than a water injection system but I thought the same prinicple would apply.

ibiza-cupra

May 6, 2006
castleford
JKing said:
cheers bill, good info there. I just allways thought water into the engine was a bad idea, I guess if it's just a fine mist though then it should be ok. Just talking from experience as a friend who had a low air feed for his CAI went through a ford which was deeper than he though. Sucked in water through the intake and killed his engine. Obviously this was a larger volume of water than a water injection system but I thought the same prinicple would apply.

the water vapourises and makes the ait more dense and cooler

ibiza-cupra

May 6, 2006
castleford
i still have a kit at home on my rs turbo i dont use as its got a huge fmic so i reckon i will swap it over....then get a intake temp sensor rigged up to see the benafits...thanks for all info

chrisbond69

chris bond
Jun 11, 2005
Cirencester, Glos
correct its good for you and i dont know what the gains are of a i/c spray i know some of the older subaru sti's had them but they were mounted on the top of the engine. can someone be more specific

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
water onto FMIC spray works by using waters latent heat of evaporation to improve heat exchange.

DIY simple test...
blow over your index finger then wet that finger and blow over it again.. (feels colder now) - same thing when you spray fine water mist onto FMIC cores.. heat exchange is better

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
Been thinking about fitting another pump to the washer tank, and splitting the bottle in half.
One for washing, with soapy stuff, and the other for intercooling!

Running off a seperate pump, and switch.

ibiza-cupra

May 6, 2006
castleford
i used the windsreen washer jets from a passat as they have the wider spray pattern...mounted them facing intercooler and plumbed the pipework into my rear wash outlet as i never used the rear wash due to it been a show car.
So when i operated rear wash my intercooler got a good blast of cold water

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.