Water leak - damp floor

WhiteCupra280

Dec 20, 2019
Hi,

I have a 2015 Cupra ST 280 and I have an issue with damp floor in both front seats and in the back.

I had the car after noticing the issue inside a garage to heat it up and ran a dehumidifier to get rid of most of it.
But having the car outside the problem comes back with damp floor.

I checked inside the cabin to see if I could notice any trace of water from the sides but no trace.
No sun roof, I have checked the windows. Next step will be to test with water and try to locate the issue/s

I checked around and some mention door seals, reseal doors, AC "waste" leak(?)

Anyone who had similar issue and how was it resolved?

Thank you for your time and sorry for the bad english since it's not my native language

Update: https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/water-leak-damp-floor.458039/#post-4920248

Last edited:

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I’ve got the same problem...but I know where mine is coming from...

I fitted a dash cam which uses the connectors from the boot to the car

f56439e8b93c1ab8bc10827438a2bb9d.jpg

In doing this, the clips have broke and so they don’t seal properly which allows water to just pour right in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
I don't know of any issues with the leon..

But the most common water leak issues are usually windscreen, sunroof or A/C drains.

I hate to say mate, but finding water ingress is a hard task, but as you've said you don't have a sunroof. I would place a guess at windscreen or air con.

I work in the trade, and the worst thing of all is water ingress along with rattles.

Hope you find the solution buddy !

WhiteCupra280

Dec 20, 2019
I don't know of any issues with the leon..

But the most common water leak issues are usually windscreen, sunroof or A/C drains.

I hate to say mate, but finding water ingress is a hard task, but as you've said you don't have a sunroof. I would place a guess at windscreen or air con.

I work in the trade, and the worst thing of all is water ingress along with rattles.

Hope you find the solution buddy !

Thank you! I will do some testing to see if im able to locate it. But it will probably end up in the work shop later on
Will update solution here when its resolved

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Quite a few instances on various VW Golf forums of the door speaker seals failing on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf.

I don’t know if the speaker seal design is the same on the Leon. On the Golf, if the speaker seals have failed, when it rains or when the car’s washed, some of the water that runs into the door cavity between the window and window rubber can enter the car’s cabin around the defective speaker seals, rather than draining out of the door cavity through drain holes in the bottom of the door and onto the ground outside the car as it’s designed to do.

WhiteCupra280

Dec 20, 2019
Quite a few instances on various VW Golf forums of the door speaker seals failing on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf.

I don’t know if the speaker seal design is the same on the Leon. On the Golf, if the speaker seals have failed, when it rains or when the car’s washed, some of the water that runs into the door cavity between the window and window rubber can enter the car’s cabin around the defective speaker seals, rather than draining out of the door cavity through drain holes in the bottom of the door and onto the ground outside the car as it’s designed to do.

Yes, the speaker seal seems to be an issue for vw and i would think its the same for Seat but not sure either.
I checked the lower parts of the doors to spot/feel any water and the inside door steps but no signs there.

But this could still be the case

* Update: I had a go with alot of pouring water between the window and window rubber to see if I could get any water inside and checked all four doors but no. It seems to drain.
Also tested the front window to see if it enters the footwell on either side but no.

I'm starting to think AC / AC drain?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019
1. Remove drivers side lower centre console trim (by clutch pedal) and check aircon drain is clipped into floor.

2. Check the spare wheel well and boot for water ingress (remove boot carpet and any tools etc).

3. Water test all doors and check for water ingress coming in over sill trims.

4. Check scuttle panel drains are clear and not blocked.

5. Remove seats, centre console and carpets, carry out full water test to locate leak from front end ( possible windscreen).

Reactions: Mr Pig

WhiteCupra280

Dec 20, 2019
1. Remove drivers side lower centre console trim (by clutch pedal) and check aircon drain is clipped into floor.
2. Check the spare wheel well and boot for water ingress (remove boot carpet and any tools etc).
3. Water test all doors and check for water ingress coming in over sill trims.
4. Check scuttle panel drains are clear and not blocked.
5. Remove seats, centre console and carpets, carry out full water test to locate leak from front end ( possible windscreen).

Thanks, I've checked most on your list but without removing the carpet but I understand that will be the next step to locate the issue for sure.
It's most wet on the drivers side front also on the passenger side but abit less.

I'm starting to suspect that the water comes from the front and finds its way further back

Dec 21, 2019
If you have the tools you could remove the wiper arms, scuttle panel and windscreen trims. Apply compressed air around the edge of the screen from the outside while getting someone else to see if air is coming into the vehicle.

Reactions: WhiteCupra280

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Go and buy damp meter, they cost about £20 and will find the area of the leak in 10 minutes. You just work methodically around the edge of the carpet until you find the red zone, then work upward until you reach the ingress point.

My previous VW had a couple of leaks, all from the doors, where the seals on the door chassis has failed - or even the big seal around the chassis itself. I couldn't find the first until I bought a meter, as it may only happen when the car is parked on a certain angle so the water running inside the door hits a certain spot - pouring water didn't work for me either.

WhiteCupra280

Dec 20, 2019
Long time but I now I'm back. Maybe this can help someone out so i'll post the solution to the issue that I had.

After extended water testing at the dealer they took out the floor math and located the leaks
The issue was fixed by re-sealing the inside of doors and also new seals around the doors.
They changed the entire floor math with isolation.

The cost for this was about 1 225 euro with labour and parts at a Skoda workshop.

Jul 27, 2021
I’ve got the same problem...but I know where mine is coming from...

I fitted a dash cam which uses the connectors from the boot to the car

f56439e8b93c1ab8bc10827438a2bb9d.jpg

In doing this, the clips have broke and so they don’t seal properly which allows water to just pour right in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hi Paddy, Hope you are well mate!
First time I am using this forum ever in my life and not too sure if this is how it works so apologies if contacting you directly is not the usual practice. I have seen that you have currently taped up your boot connectors due to a breakage when installing a dashcam. My boot connectors are currently taped up as I type! Is there any sort of link for me to buy a new connector.. cannot find them on ebay and to be honest not sure what the part is even called.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.