Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide (Image links dead)

Marv-95

Dec 30, 2010
Southampton, Hampshire
Great Thread Aymen thats exactly what I saw when I swapped out my Windscreen - I didnt seal mine just cleared the dead leaves and gink which could have caused water to pool. Now it just flows through to the wheel arches. I think I will seal around the cable anyway in summer (be a little proactive)!! Great photos to!!

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2011
Plymouth
My issue was a leak above the pedals. I found that the foam sealant that surrounds the main electrical box next to the bonnet release grommet. I had to remove the wipers, scuttle panel wiper motors to get to the box. The seal was perished to the bottom left hand side. This box was unscrewed and the foam removed , resealed the box with the burtyl seal stuff then refitted , here is a picture I the old seal and where I sealed with the burtyl
027e28a1-74a7-4e35.jpg
027e28a1-74b2-d028.jpg

When I took the plastic box off my car there was no seal at all.

There is a rubber groove on the plastic part that slots over the metal lip on the car but that is it.

Is that normal?

Mar 7, 2011
Plymouth
Last time when parked on a slope (facing uphill) the rear foot well had about 2inches of water within 2 hours.

Just had a lot of rain and left it in the same parking space and NO WATER HAS LEAKED in 4 hours.

I have sealed the plastic box under the wipers with roof and gutter sealant and it seems to have worked (touch wood).

I'm going to leave it there for a few days and monitor it. Fingers crossed!

gilksy

hello all

also while you are sealing the loom box/lid youmay as well stick some around where the bonnet release cable goes throug the bulkhead just incase.......its situated to the left of the loom box/lid

CupraLew89

Aug 23, 2010
SE London
Hi,

Thanks for the guide, I wouldn't have attempted this repair without it. It turns out that the door seals on all four of my doors were perishing and damp. I re-sealed all four and my doors sills have been dry since.

Ps. I used 8mm sealant and worked a treat.

Thanks again to all.

CupraLew89

paulwilk69

Update on my Toledo leaking doors . sealed all the doors ,quite easy job really took about an hour for all the doors. carpets are slowly drying out but i still get water collecting on the sill but not enough to spill over ?.I think the next thing is to fix the outer door seals after all the car is 13 years old and they Will be worn out .

paulwilk69

It doesn't sound like you've fixed it if you still have water on the sills. Did you remove all the panels and strip the door back so you can see the speaker??

yeah all done , sealed round the speaker as well , its only wet after the torrential rain of late so thats why im thinking its the main seals on the door frame ?

Marv-95

Dec 30, 2010
Southampton, Hampshire
Have you checked the other places ie. Pollen Filter, clearing out the dead leaves on the opposite side (there also may be a leak there - see above) - water comes in behind the accelerator pedal. Maybe its worth taking it all apart and someone attacking it with a hose whilst you sit in it??

Mar 7, 2011
Plymouth
I spoke too soon :-(

Now have a really large pond installed in the back of my car.

I think I am going to take the interior out soon and then flood the car to find where it is coming from.

THIS CAR IS DRIVING ME MAD!!!!

20130128_121951.jpg

richie kaye

Oct 26, 2012
West Midlands
Great Read guys,Your cracking on with these Canal Barges..Im in the same boat
They are Rubbish at weatherproofing from the Factory..Luckily my mates not long done a Mk4 Golf so gonna let me use his unit to do all four doors..Cant wait to get fixed and Sold

Marv-95

Dec 30, 2010
Southampton, Hampshire
Aymen - when I had mine in the rear it was all under the floor in the underlay - I couldn't see the flood that you have and my underlay was saturated.

Maybe its the actual door seals - I think Id remove every thing (Front Seats/Carpet/underlay) and flood the car as you say with a hose. You are getting more water than I ever had - and I left mine for 2weeks in terrential rain.

Mar 7, 2011
Plymouth
I think that is my plan as that was from one weekend of rain.

I have covered the floor in newspaper to see if I can detect where the drips are coming from. I am going to take the seats, carpet and underlay out I am just waiting to have a little time.

Is it safe to put the drivers seat back in without connecting the airbag so I can use the car or could that cause the airbag to go off?

I hope I find this leak soon.

Marv-95

Dec 30, 2010
Southampton, Hampshire
Remember to disconnect the battrey when you remove the seats. I drove around without a passenger seat and carpet propped up with newspaper down to see if I had continual leaks but your seems worst than mine.

I dont know about the drivers airbag. Sorry.

I hope you beat it soon!!

Mar 7, 2011
Plymouth
Well what I would like is for someone to tell me exactly where it is coming from but from what I can tell everyone has door leaks, some people have leaks from the box under the wipers and some very unlucky people have no sealant in their cars at all.

Hopefully I will get some pictures when I do it and can help others in the future, that is if my car ever gets fixed.

gilksy

beleve me mine was worse it was the whole rear footwell behind the drivers seat and it was 2 inches deep!!!!!!!!!!!

it will be your loom box leaking and running down the bulkhead past the back of the pedal then tracking along one of the floor pan gullys under the drivers seat to the rear foot well

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 7, 2011
Plymouth
I have already sealed it twice with roof and gutter sealant.

I was going to put a second layer on the outer lip of the box as a secondary measure.

Is that wise or should I clean it all out (for the third time) and use something else?

What sealant would you recommend?

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
I have already sealed it twice with roof and gutter sealant.

I was going to put a second layer on the outer lip of the box as a secondary measure.

Is that wise or should I clean it all out (for the third time) and use something else?

What sealant would you recommend?

check the aerial socket or those plastic strips in the roof? that's all i can think of. i know the misses 106 has some drain holes in the pillars that got blocked and flooded her car far worse than any Leon ive seen, it even filled the side skirt part of the chassis so much you could hear is slosh around while she was driving it, i had to get a :censored: water bump to get most of it out out there.
my doors did seem fixed but now its starting to show on the door seal again and its making my car smell of damp.

Mar 7, 2011
Plymouth
Is there a drain for the two plastic rails on the roof?

I have put newspaper down in the car and while it has been raining I have found the accelerator pedal STILL dripping.

What do people think? Still the plastic box under the scuttle or could it be holes anywhere else?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members