Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide (Image links dead)

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
I've just done mine, haven't put the car out in the rain yet so cannot comment on success rate :)

The only thing I did different to the guide was instead of leaving the top 2 bolts in, I put 2 longer bolts in their place, making it a bit easier to pull the carrier forward.

Job itself was easier than I thought and it does pay to get the old seal off as much as possible. I used 8mm bead and it fitted well. £9.99 for 8m, next day delivery from ebay. Bought 10x door clips too, only broke one in the end, cost was about £2.50 for the 10.

Oh one other thing, the carpet was soaked on the O/S so I used a wet and dry vac to suck up as much as possible, then left it in the garage with about 1kg of rice in the footwell. The rice soaked up a fair amount if water, although there is still some under carpet but only moist now compared to soaking wet.

Last edited:

Kruga

Nov 1, 2014
Cheshire
I done mine last weekend didnt break any clips BUT my drivers side door didnt have any clips ****ing on in the first place :| luckily i bought a pack of 20 just to be safe haha, its rained here and theres no sign of leaking :D

potter88

Jan 1, 2011
Norwich
Well I've got 1 door done and the butyl sealant strip in my opinion is utter s**te

I will be using clear silicone for the other 3 that's for sure. It wouldn't stick to anything despite surface dry and in the end I just managed to get it to go in anywhere in the end including using after plate all bolted on around the edge again

Leeboy22001

Jun 19, 2002
Portsmouth
Visit site
I'm waiting for my bits to arrive, leak is really bad now, weather forecast looks bad for next few days, is it sensible to apply gaffer tape along the gap at the bottom of the door where water comes through ?though I am worried the water would collect and damage the door speaker !?

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
The tape on the outside as a temporary fix 100% works, I just read up the posts, I put it on mine back in May last year, lol, and it hasn't leaked since, just need to find that 30 minutes spare to fix on the inside properly!

Leeboy22001

Jun 19, 2002
Portsmouth
Visit site
I did the tape on the outside, but for some reason water was still at the bottom of the door this morning, (as in I open door and water is sitting at the bottom of the door by the seal) after a lot of rain... could be a different problem ?

ruffers

Jan 18, 2015
I've read this a few times and I'm still not quite confident to do it. Can anyone suggest someone to do it for me in South (East) London?

Thanks all

rossi46

Jan 1, 2011
Kent
Done mine a few months back with no dramas. I'm Maidstone in Kent not a million miles away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moone

Feb 24, 2013
I know this have been asked about a zillion times but would much appreciate if someone could just clarify this with me...

I have checked and all foot-wells are bone dry except the drivers one (it's Leon 2004). Is that mean water is still getting through the leaky drivers door?
I have never noticed any of the symptoms of water on shoes when opening the door, also not noticed any signs of leak on drivers rubber/plastic trim at the bottom of the door!

I don't mind take door apart and fixing it... but when I checked the foot-well it seem to be wet only at the bottom of it. Sides are dry as a desert. Also there is not much water in it .. but enough to cause steamy windows and you can feel it's wet by touching it. Could it be something else?

Many thanks

Baxterlad

Jan 24, 2013
Tried to read this thread.

What is thr cause of a wet floor well in the front drivers side? 2010 leon fr.