Water temp warning light

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
A few times recently when it has been a little cold I have started the car and the red warning light below the water temperature gauge has flashed red and a siren like noise gone off! When I turn off the engine and restart, everything is fine. I asked the dealers who said this can happen in normal weather and to just put a bit more water in (which I have done) but it still does it now and again (even when it isn't all that cold).
Last year we had temps down to -10 here and it never happened so I am reluctant to believe it's just "one of those things". Obviously a trip to the dealers is a last resort now it's out of warranty lol! :)

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
I would be back down the dealers demanding they look at it again. There must be a reason for a siren going off :confused:- can,t be good can it.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
They haven't looked at it again, it was just a telephone call. t's alright keep going back however it's an hours labour for the privilege each time!!! :eek:

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
had exactly the same thing on bora TDI. Every now and then when it was colder I had this message saying check coolant. After few times when I confirmed it was sensor not the coolant leaking I started ignoring it and when you drive it disappears after few minutes anyway.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
No, it's out of warranty now. Is the coolant sensor something that one can replace easily at home if the part it bought?

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Just take it to another dealer and ask them to fix it then - the garage you have been to are ripping you off.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
It hasn't been to the dealers at all for this - I just phoned them up to ask if it was dangerous and they suggested putting some extra water in and if that didn't cure it to call them back and book it in. My issue is that if I book it in, I know it will be a standard dealers bill which is never cheap! :) If I can fit the said sensor at home very easily then I'd prefer to do that.

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
A few times recently when it has been a little cold I have started the car and the red warning light below the water temperature gauge has flashed red and a siren like noise gone off! When I turn off the engine and restart, everything is fine. I asked the dealers who said this can happen in normal weather and to just put a bit more water in (which I have done) but it still does it now and again (even when it isn't all that cold).
Last year we had temps down to -10 here and it never happened so I am reluctant to believe it's just "one of those things". Obviously a trip to the dealers is a last resort now it's out of warranty lol! :)

If people read the original post.........

mini

i hav this problem too an took it too the garage an they put a new temp sensor on (an touch wood) it hasnt happend agen.it cost 47 quid all in.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.