Weird Engine Revving

Jan 22, 2019
Hi All,

have had my Cupra for just under a year now. Haven’t been hugely active on here but I am hoping someone can shed some light on a weird issue that has just started to happen.

Under heavy acceleration in 4th/5th or 6th gear the revs start to increase then at about 3k they jump up a few hundred rpm then goes off to continue accelerating. I have a video of that helps but am unsure on how to post this to the forum.
If anyone has any experience or suggestions I’ll be very thankful!

ps it’s a 66 plate Leon Cupra 290

thanks in advance!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Sounds like the clutch is slipping. But personally I wouldn't be using heavy acceleration under 3000 revs in high gears.

Jan 22, 2019
Sounds like the clutch is slipping. But personally I wouldn't be using heavy acceleration under 3000 revs in high gears.
Okay that does back up why someone else has suggested. I went in for a service today and they said they could not replicate the issue. The car has only done 35k over 3 years is this something you would expect to see and do you think it’s something that would be under warranty ?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
With the clutch, it depends on how it's been driven. Is it manual or DSG? From previous posts, it's unlikely they'll do it under warranty as it's a wear and tear item and again depends on how the clutch has been used. Things like riding the clutch at traffic lights (manual gearbox) will kill it really quick. Accelerating hard from low revs in high gears also puts a massive strain on it.

Jan 22, 2019
With the clutch, it depends on how it's been driven. Is it manual or DSG? From previous posts, it's unlikely they'll do it under warranty as it's a wear and tear item and again depends on how the clutch has been used. Things like riding the clutch at traffic lights (manual gearbox) will kill it really quick. Accelerating hard from low revs in high gears also puts a massive strain on it.
Okay thanks very much for your help here. Most of my driving has been motorway with the occasional blast in decent weather. Of course I don’t know what the first 27,000 miles of it’s life we’re like. I can’t believe that I am having to worry about the clutch of a “performance” car that’s only just turned 3 years old. I’ll have to get back to them and see what they say.

On another note what would the repercussions of not having it done for a bit and making sure to not accelerate hard in high gears?

thanks again

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Okay thanks very much for your help here. Most of my driving has been motorway with the occasional blast in decent weather. Of course I don’t know what the first 27,000 miles of it’s life we’re like. I can’t believe that I am having to worry about the clutch of a “performance” car that’s only just turned 3 years old. I’ll have to get back to them and see what they say.

On another note what would the repercussions of not having it done for a bit and making sure to not accelerate hard in high gears?

thanks again

Not sure if any MK3 owners will jump in to correct me @paddy6789, but I thought the stock clutch was a bit of a disappointment, but not sure if that was just on remapped cars. Any ideas if yours has been mapped?

Really, if you want to accelerate hard in high gears you should change down anyway. So if you can live with it and you mostly do motorway, the clutch could last a fair few thousand miles still.

Jan 22, 2019
Not sure if any MK3 owners will jump in to correct me @paddy6789, but I thought the stock clutch was a bit of a disappointment, but not sure if that was just on remapped cars. Any ideas if yours has been mapped?

Really, if you want to accelerate hard in high gears you should change down anyway. So if you can live with it and you mostly do motorway, the clutch could last a fair few thousand miles still.
Yeah it seems that way, I’ve not had it mapped myself and it’s been in to the garage for a coolant leak under warranty, service x2 and MOTs and nothing has been said so I assume not.

I might have to adjust my driving style and just be more conservative with the gear changes.

Thanks for all your help...now to try and work out what is the best thing to do.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Yeah that sounds very much like clutch slip to me. The stock clutches are known to be the same strength as melted chocolate.

My clutch used to do that and I had a few videos where I’d accelerate and the revs would go straight up with no additional acceleration and sometimes the gear indicator would say I’m in 3rd or even 2nd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Legojon
Jan 22, 2019
Yeah that sounds very much like clutch slip to me. The stock clutches are known to be the same strength as melted chocolate.

My clutch used to do that and I had a few videos where I’d accelerate and the revs would go straight up with no additional acceleration and sometimes the gear indicator would say I’m in 3rd or even 2nd.

That’s really disappointing to hear...the car is great but having little things like that really ruins the whole “performance” credibility of it.

Coming up to one year of ownership and already thinking of swapping it out

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
That’s really disappointing to hear...the car is great but having little things like that really ruins the whole “performance” credibility of it.

Coming up to one year of ownership and already thinking of swapping it out

Some people never have issues with the stock clutch and stock tune. Others have no end of issues. I guess it’s the luck of the draw. I think the clutch can be done under warranty in some cases, or at least a discounted rate if you’re out of warranty. But you’d have to jump through so many hoops to prove you’ve been driving it perfectly to preserve the clutch in every way possible.

An uprated clutch will cost the best part of £600 plus fitting on top. But they’re worth it in my opinion. If your clutch is slipping, just be wary that it could take out your flywheel too if it slips a lot.

Last edited:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
You can drive around it, stay away from peak torque, but what is the fun in that.

the clutch is slipping, so its uprate or drive around it im afraid

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
MOT & Service wouldn't pick up a clutch slip. Sounds very much like it is slipping and the OEM clutch in these /Golf R/S3 are known to be weak.

Jan 22, 2019
Thanks everyone for your help. It’s been so helpful!

I was already starting to look around at different cars due to circumstances changing slightly but have a lot to think about now. Thanks again great group of people this forum has!!

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
They’re really strong engines - the manuals are just let down by the clutches. I’ve had a DSG and a manual Cupra and both have pros and cons, but I think I’d always opt for a manual going forward if I had the choice, despite being on my 4th clutch haha

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
This is why i tend to stear clear of second hand "performance" cars. The only reason I've bought a cupra brand new is because it was cheaper than a second hand one. No brainer.

Yeah I agree. Unless I knew the previous owner or that the car had been owned by a old granny who pottered to the shops and back at 5mph, I probably wouldn’t buy a second hand Cupra. Especially seeing how some drivers rag them. But who can blame them, the car is always egging them on and they’re so easy to drive.

Reactions: The Daily Meme
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.