Weird heater issues

Mannyg60

Nov 21, 2016
Hi everyone

wondering if anyone can shed any light on my issue. I had an issue before of losing coolant slowly and I thought I had solved it by replacing a pipe that has some coolant seepage. All was okay and I didn’t use the heater in summer, anyway, now it’s getting colder, I switched the heater on and cranked up the temperature so warm air blows out and it smelled a bit weird in the car and the windscreen started to mist up. I figured it may have been a bit of damp in the car and thought nothing of it, however the coolant level had dropped over a week or so, making the low coolant light come on.

my question is, whilst it’s blowing out cold air, it’s fine but when I turn it up so its warm air, it smells funny and the windscreen mists up. Is there a valve or something that opens up to the heater matrix allowing hot water to come through causing a leak in the heater matrix?

Really strange

Thank you in advance

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Yes, the meater matrix has hot engine coolant fed through it for heating purposes, and it's possible the matrix, or the diverter valve (just like you have in a central heating system) has sprung a leak.

I actuall had that happen whilst driving an old Lancia, felt a sharp pain in my clutch foot, turned out to be coolant dripping from the diverter valve into the footwell. That, being winter in Aberdeen, meant a VERY rapid misting up os my car!

Reactions: Mannyg60

Mannyg60

Nov 21, 2016
Yes, the meater matrix has hot engine coolant fed through it for heating purposes, and it's possible the matrix, or the diverter valve (just like you have in a central heating system) has sprung a leak.

I actuall had that happen whilst driving an old Lancia, felt a sharp pain in my clutch foot, turned out to be coolant dripping from the diverter valve into the footwell. That, being winter in Aberdeen, meant a VERY rapid misting up os my car!
Thank you. Sounds like it’s going to be dashboard out job

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise