Weitec coilover problems

paulheathcote

Hi i been having some problems with my coilovers firstly the front shock are making cluncking noises when im on full lock and i want to go lower but when i turn them down the spring becomes loose if anyone know what it could be could you let me know

cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator:

james.g

Nov 28, 2009
York
OK couple of questions.

Whan you say 'on full lock' do you mean the steering or the screw spring platform adjuster?

If you adjust the spring platform so it's just contacting the spring before you apply any weight, how low is the car currently sitting?

What rate springs do you have front and rear? (lb/inch or N/m)

What size wheels do you have & offset if you know

paulheathcote

full lock on steering
ive got 16" wheels
its sitting 60mm from the bottom of the coil on the back and 50mm from the bottom of the coil
front weight axle 900kg
rear weight axle 810kg

paulheathcote

and yeah they are loose before applying any weight

james.g

Nov 28, 2009
York
OK, the clunking noise will probably be one of two things. Either you've damaged your driveshaft CV joint through excessive lowering or the spring isn't seated correctly and is skipping on the seat. The first will sound like a 'clunk - clunk - clunk' whilst you're driving on full lock. The latter will make a single clunk or bang when you first reach full lock.

As to the whole idea of running out of adjustment on a coilover kit, i'm rather concerned for your safety since this indicates the spring will not be suitable for the area of adjustment you're looking for. I assume you're after a cosmetic for shows / cruising? If not you should be aware that you're probably making the handling and roadholding of your car dangerous if driven at pace. For example, the fact the springs are not pre-compressed indicates they will not correctly support the weight of the car throughout the handling envelope. You may find that under hard cornering the bump stops will bind and cause very rapid switch to oversteer / understeer. You'll probably bind the bump stops under braking too, which will cause you to loose grip on uneven sufaces.

I knew a guy with a Focus ST who hit a tree because his rear bump stops binded up when cornering hard and going over a slight dip. He survived but the car didn't.

As you reduce the ride height you need to fit shorter and stiffer springs. Because a stiff spring will require less travel to generate the same load supporting force, you don't need to wind down the spring pan adjuster so much, also because the spring is shorter, it's automatically reducing the set height. Ultimately though, on a coilover you should never have slack unless you're doing competition track / rally work where you may use a tender spring. Not appliccable here though.

Do you have the spring rates and free (uncompressed) spring lengths? Along with the damping rates this info should have come with the kit. If so i could advise what you'd need.

paulheathcote

right basically i only got the warrenty paper and some other but its in german
but thanks for the info and i will take a look but i dont think its the driveshaft i will try raising it up what hight would you recomend

james.g

Nov 28, 2009
York
They didn't give you a data sheet? That's shocking!

I suppose you could start off with 5mm of pre-compression on the rears and 8mm on the fronts (your rear springs should be stiffer) then see if you get the noise.

Whatever happens, after adjustment you should check your corner weights - you can get a close enough figure at a weigh bridge if you sweet talk the operator! After that there's a raft of other things that ned to be done to make sure you don't end up in a hedge, but one at a time eh?

Contact Weitec and get the data off them if it's not on their website - btw, which kit do you have?

James

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.