wet footwell

gazjones

i know its been cover many times but my passenger side rear footwell is like a swiming pool
ive manged to go through a full roll of bounty trying to soak it up but there is still floating water when i push the carpet down. basically the underlay is saturated with water, it not screen wash or anything like that, i think ive found where its coming in, where ive fed my boostgauge and amp wire. i didnt put a grommet on it but the front of the car is only slightly damp in one little spot.
is it possible for this to be the problem as if it is i would have thought the front would be the wetest(sp).
and one last thing would this be sorted under warrenty or will they blame me for not putting a grommet in the hole? ( which ive just done incase they try and blame me)
anyone who has been to the dealer about this and has some experience in the matter? and what happened?

big thanx for any help gaz!

gazjones

Phot.jpg

pic of what its like pressing on it!

gazjones

ive loked and everything is dry above the footwell i was thinking handbreak cable grommet also but i think its alot of water for anything leaking slightly!

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
Gaz are you saying that you've taken out the large grommet that sits on the bulkhead and you've been driving around without one:confused: I think you jsut want a new carpet because I want one:whistle: No in all seriousness, I looks well bad - hope you get it sorted under warranty - can I have your carpet then:lol:

gazjones

im sorting it now all the carpet underlay is sodden got the car jacked up at the front and squezzing the carpet and letting the water run to the back where there is a bung ive poped out! the carpet is god it the undrlay thats soaking!!! and i think ive found the reason it only shows at the back the front underlay have a rubber top to it so you dont notice the water!

gazjones

yep wet right from the dash all under front seat and all the rear footwell my stupid fault yours has a grommet on so wont be a problem now to fix the grommet properly! all the excess is up and just letting it air! hiar dryer time i think!

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Sorry to say this mate but the only way to dry that out properly is to take the lot out. If you don't the underlay will stay wet and it'll start to rot away the floor of your car at worsed, at least it'll mould and stink like hell.

gazjones

ive had the back bit out cut it off where it goes over the middle raised bit thats still in airing cupborad and front is dry and put paper towels down and in the week im going to take them out and let it dry a bit more will propbably take the seat out and lift whole of the carpet up and leave it to dry! but its now touch dry mostly
even over power the popy coral airfreshner! :cry:

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
I had the same problem mate in the exact same place - Ted Johnsons replaced all the passenger door seals which fixed it. I wouldnt have thought that gromet would have let all that water in! I thought it was placed under a plastic cover which would shield it...?

gazjones

there is a hole to allow water to drain out. plus it was damp all under the dash around the wheel arch area where it had dripped down! remember seeing few drippes after heavy rain when i pulled off but thought it was only tiney amonunt obviously not must have been building up for a while!

Silver Bullet

Large Member
May 9, 2006
My old corsa had this problem, maybe it's the same on the Seat, check if the little hose to dispose of the A/C's condensation water isn't plugged, I remember on that car it would always get plugged with dirt and the passenger's footwell would get all the water, Every 50 miles or so I had to hit the little hose with a stick to make the car "pee" all the A/C's water.

gazjones

dad mentioned this as it happened to his passat but i dont have the aircon on at all so dont think its this positive its my stupid fault for forgeting to put the grommet back :redface:

Silver Bullet

Large Member
May 9, 2006
It's still quite a lot of water as you describe it, if it hasn't been raining too hard you should also check for other possible places where water might be getting in; I'd use some silicone to seal the hole

gazjones

was in terrential rain on sat afternoon so thinking its that will be sealing it up now! with anything and everything lol

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.