Wet patch underneath nearside front tyre

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
Hi,

Noticed a wet patch on driveway where my nearside front tyre would’ve been sat a few hours earlier and when driving back from supermarket this evening I could hear something which sounded like it could be a rubber hose / plastic tube rattling against that wheel.

I’ll take it to local garage on Thursday but just wondering if there’s anything obvious / known faults on the 1.8 TSI that I should be asking them to look for?

E75E87F7-F4F5-4DC9-8345-48A1FEDCDF86.jpeg
2950A0B0-65EA-44AB-83D4-B10C0BA10476.jpeg

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Hi,

Noticed a wet patch on driveway where my nearside front tyre would’ve been sat a few hours earlier and when driving back from supermarket this evening I could hear something which sounded like it could be a rubber hose / plastic tube rattling against that wheel.

I’ll take it to local garage on Thursday but just wondering if there’s anything obvious / known faults on the 1.8 TSI that I should be asking them to look for?

View attachment 29693 View attachment 29694
Aircon?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
A while back my farther in law pointed out a small puddle under my car - I bent down, put my finger in and sniffed - and sure enough yes it was wee :sick:

• Haha
Reactions: xyz and Gaz9000

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Drain from the windscreen? If you used your washers before parking, just a guess.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It does not look to me that it is water, ie AC condensate, looks a bit more like an oil type product the way it has been creeping over these slabs - sorry!

Check brake fluid level.

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
Thanks for the replies.

I took my car to local dealership (as been using them for servicing since SEAT's Black Friday deal) who put it up on ramp but technician couldn't see anything out of place and apparently the only fluid level on low side was oil which they topped up without charge.

However I got a Check Coolant warning when starting engine to drive home tonight and whatever leaked has stained my driveway, so looks like I'll be back to dealership tomorrow.

20220203_224625.jpg
20220203_231141.jpg

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I had a leak on a hose that rubbed against a fin on the airbox. Was a really crap design. Was whatever tee'd off the top rad hose

Could even be a leaky rad. I hate coolant leaks right PITA to find

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
I had a leak on a hose that rubbed against a fin on the airbox. Was a really crap design. Was whatever tee'd off the top rad hose

Could even be a leaky rad. I hate coolant leaks right PITA to find

Yeah, the heater matrix on mine needed replacing a few years back (due to silica bag bursting) and had new water pump plus thermostat housing fitted in 2020.

I would've traded Leon in for something newer then if it wasn't for pandemic but think I might be doing like yourself and trying another brand this year; quite liking look of new BMW 1 Series in Misano blue.

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
Picture of your coolant bottle would help us check the level.

This was the level when I pulled into petrol station to check coolant after about 10 minutes of driving last night.

The warning light hasn't come back on in the 2 times I've used Leon since; hopefully not another intermittent fault like when the previous coolant leak corroded wiring in T14 connector over a period of 6 months until engine refused to start.

20220203_235535.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.