what did you and your mk3 leon do today

svaratu

Aug 30, 2022
Estonia
Nice setup! But i have to tell you little secret :D that bigger brakes dont mean better braking. Bigger brakes dont heat up that fast, so they maintain their performance for longer period while driving hard (probably on track). So its less brake fade. On the pro side, you have much better brake feel and its more consistent.

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
Nice setup! But i have to tell you little secret :D that bigger brakes dont mean better braking. Bigger brakes dont heat up that fast, so they maintain their performance for longer period while driving hard (probably on track). So its less brake fade. On the pro side, you have much better brake feel and its more consistent.
Thanks! I don't disagree with what you're saying that's roughly how brakes work. The theory that bigger isn't always better can be said for many other components such as intercoolers and it essentially all comes down to making the right choice. Bigger brakes don't mean better braking when the kit isn't developed specifically for a given platform. This isn't the case here, this kit was developed specifically for MQB cars and racingline themselves claim about 10 feet braking distance reduction, which may not seem much but that's on a single stop. After repetitive braking they clearly state that the difference is "getting really noticeable" (https://www.racingline.com/big-brake-kit-golfr-golfgti-audis3-audirs3-auditt-leoncupra).
That being said, my choice of the 380s was based 50% on looks and 50% on performance. 355s would've worked just as good but 380s look a lot nicer behind 19" wheels.

This isn't my first BBK btw, I've (unfortunately) managed to cook 4pots in the past. :p

Gaz9000

Oct 14, 2021
This isn't the case here, this kit was developed specifically for MQB cars and racingline themselves claim about 10 feet braking distance reduction, which may not seem much but that's on a single stop.

I've always understood it to be that (for a single stop) if you can mash the pedal and activate the ABS then bigger brakes still cant slow you down quicker than the tyre adhesion to the road. Is that not the case? Brakes look lovely btw!

Reactions: queen

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
I've always understood it to be that (for a single stop) if you can mash the pedal and activate the ABS then bigger brakes still cant slow you down quicker than the tyre adhesion to the road. Is that not the case? Brakes look lovely btw!

That was probably the case with my stock, garbage Pirelli’s. But I’ll never know for sure as I replaced them very early after taking delivery and I never had the chance to put brakes vs tires to a test. Last spring I fitted the semi-slicks Yokohama Advan A052 and went a section wider to 245/35 along with new, wider 8.5” wheels, that took adhesion to a whole new level, thereby shifting the bottleneck over to the brakes! This became apparent when I did exactly what you’re describing and the ABS never kicked in. I’ve also managed to overheat the discs on several instances. I’d been thinking about upgrading the brakes for some time now to address brake fade and I think now was the right time, just before my next big step which is a major power bump to 500hp. With that in mind, I decided to go for the full-blown upgrade rather than consumables such as better pads or discs. After that, opting for the 380s (as opposed to the 355s) was purely aesthetic.

Although repetitive braking is where they truly shine, like every multi-piston BBK, braking in general is largely improved and I could break this down into the following areas:

• Better initial bite -> better braking
  • Increased pad pressure -> better braking
  • Larger disc and usually larger pad -> better heat dissipation -> repeatability
  • Better pressure distribution across the pad’s surface -> eliminates hot spots and increases longevity
  • Last, but certainly not least, you get reduced unsprung weight that in many cases can be as little as half of that of stock brakes. In this case we’re looking at 7.4kg reduction for the set, which is mind boggling considering the caliper and disc size and when we talk about unsprung weight, we need to keep in mind that its effects can be around the equivalent of 6.5 times the weight of sprung weight.

Holdup

Aug 28, 2009
Kent
Got a Stage 1 ECU and TCU map (car already fitted with vagsport intake and resonator delete) along with VBT front discs, Racingline front pads and braided lines all round
E1B79252-1C88-4086-A796-34196214B07D.jpeg
0129115E-2E6B-4D53-93FE-2F385790CD06.jpeg
EB995443-2D82-4657-9D13-632105A14F75.jpeg

Reactions: queen

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Today I went to the local SEAT dealer to ask about the gloss black covers for wing mirrors and surprisingly they had a pair in stock and gave me a good price. I bought and mounted them right away, replacing the existing Desire Red covers. I think they are a good match for the gloss black alloys that I use in winters.

Cheers,
Serdar

DSC_0189.JPG

DSC_0190.JPG

DSC_0193.JPG

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0196.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0191.JPG
    DSC_0191.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 76

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Today my order of Osram LEDriving DMI "Dynamic Mirror Indicators" have arrived and I installed them myself. Along with gloss black mirror covers, this was in my mind for a long time and I'm happy with the result. Installation was fairly easy: remove the covers by pulling back strongly but carefully, remove the three Allen screws, pull the connector off with the help of a flat screwdriver and install the new indicators repeating the procedure backwards. There are two variants of this product; White Edition and Black Edition. Mine is the dark tinted Black Edition.

I attached photos below and also adding links for the short videos I recorded.

The original indicators:

After connecting the first one:

After installation:

osram_led_turn_signals.png

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Bought a power folding wing mirror this time from eBay. Got a notification to say one had 24% discount. Comes from a 70 plate cupra for £75 delivered.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: serdar_18fr

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Change the gear knob. The old one had seen better days, so treat myself to the one above.
Also, the car has a suspicious drone above 30mph so it’s going in the garage on Tuesday, no doubt it’s a wheel bearing on the way out 🤦‍♂️

Looks very nice! :love:

Reactions: Jay5959

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Been busy today, hardwired a front and rear Dashcam. The guide section on this was brilliant. However, in the part that says be careful not to break the plastic tabs on the boot, I broken both of them. Not sure how watertight the rear will be, might have to get some black silicone to seal it.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise