Votes: 51 60.0%
  • Shell v power

Votes: 17 20.0%
  • BP Ultimate

Votes: 17 20.0%

• Total voters
Dec 31, 2007
Reading
No its like Irish coffee but instead of coffee you use diesel! The alcohol really helps that flamethrower I just hooked up to my exhaust :D :D

So what sort of differences in mpg/performance/responsiveness are people that are using veg oil getting?

Once you've started weaning it onto veg oil could you change to typical disel for the odd tank if necessary or is that just gunna foobar things? I presume it'd be ok but not ideal?

sssstew

Editing your spelling
No its like Irish coffee but instead of coffee you use diesel! The alcohol really helps that flamethrower I just hooked up to my exhaust :D :D

So what sort of differences in mpg/performance/responsiveness are people that are using veg oil getting?

Once you've started weaning it onto veg oil could you change to typical disel for the odd tank if necessary or is that just gunna foobar things? I presume it'd be ok but not ideal?

yep its fine, i chop and change both our cars all the time, depends when i can get to costco for the cheap oil.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
awesome, cheers stew. Just gotta decide whether I should try it or not now :)

go on go on go on go on
you can do this in supermarket car parks and freak people out :D
veggie.jpg

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
lol to be honest I'm quite looking forward to telling my gf 'I'm just gunna go out and fill up the car' and then seeing her face as I do it on the drive :D

And what about the smell?

dirtysac

Mar 2, 2008
Yorkshire
I finally did some clocking between the diesels.

BP ultimate added 35miles onto my tank, Shell v 30 miles. So in short it was not worth the extra 10p a litre for me at least.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
lol to be honest I'm quite looking forward to telling my gf 'I'm just gunna go out and fill up the car' and then seeing her face as I do it on the drive :D

And what about the smell?

I've not smelt anything yet.but behind me :shrug: everyone loves the smell of the chippy right?

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Sssstew

Very interested in the idea on running on vegetable oil and would like a bit of advice.

Just acquired an old Astra diesel estate (GM TD - light pressue) to replace the 'dog car' - currently the Rover 216. I assume that this engine would be fine to run on the veggie stuff?

Would you go straight to a 50/50 mix or build up to it?

Last edited:

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Just had a quick look around on the net in connection with running on vegoil and found this http://www.dieselveg.com

Quite a good site and worth a read. On the home page, it has put the frighteners on me though reading about mixing it. I know that they are trying to flog the product but...

Still don't know whether to go there yet? :confused:

sssstew

Editing your spelling
the old astra TDs were izuzu lumps (the 1.7 TDs) but the newer GM lumps use common rail.

If you have one of the older izuzu lumps then its indirect injection so a brilliant one for chucking 100% veg oil in as long as the temp doesnt drop too low. If i were you i would change the fuel filter then start with a 50/50 mix, see how it goes then increase from there.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
The engine in the Astra is the GM one with the light pressure turbo, so am a bit worried about using the oil.

The old Isuzu engine would have been preferable, but the car was local and cheap (needs a new head gasket). I only picked it up very recently and havent really looked at the injection side of things yet. - Direct or indrect - me thinks direct though.

Not going out there in the wind and rain tonight to check!