what is the difference between a Blowoff Valve & Dump Valve?

moditsteve

Hi all being a bit new to the world of Turbos :D can someone please tell me the difference betweena , Blowoff Valve & a Dump Valve and what the advantages of one is other the other also if u know of a good brand or place that sells it than much obliged.

thanks alot all steve
:think:

gazjones

some turbo cars have blow off valves this make a really loud whooosh when lifting of the trottle as it lets all the gharged air escape this can be called dump valves as well the other sort is a ricirc valve which the 20vt has this uses the charged air when the trotte is lifted of to keep the turbo spinnig and improve gear changes, these are silent!

moditsteve

ok yeah i wanted a silent one really i understand what u are saying though, can i get a silent one for my car???
how easy are they to fit and how much?
are they worth it will i notice any diff??

thanks

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
You can get silent ones for your car no probs, these ones are best suited for the 20VT engine anyway, as the Blow Off/Dump Valve confuses the Air Flow Meter on our cars. Basically it senses the air coming in and adjusts the fuel mixture accordingly. With a vent to atmosphere DV you let big rush of air out of the intake system that was just measured. The fueling will still dump the fuel associated with that air and cause an over rich condition. This may cause your car to stall momentarily or in some cases actually turn off, obviously the recirculating DV's dont do this.

Forge are the best to go for, these piston valves can be had for about £80 and are very easy to fit, you just replace the stock Bosch item, which being a diaphram type, doesn't last too long anyway. The Forge item can make your car boost very smoothly and will feel to pick up a bit quicker too.

moditsteve

ok mate i will have a look into the Forge Piston Valve for my car thanks alot

moditsteve

gettin a little confused lol
so which forge vlave is best if any for my FR TDI :D cheers guys sorry to be a pain ;)

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
Spanky said:
Doh, you never said you had a diesel :doh:
fecking big pic of one with spec underneath,and FR tdi in his profile had me wondering what he drove too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

moditsteve

i have just added the TDI bit to be fair i never realised i missed it out my bad.
thanks for ya help Spanky though :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.