What kind of ignition switch?

xeroz18

I have unrapped the cables "signal cable black/red) from the start engine to the fusebox. And the black and red goes to a contact on the backside on the fusebox. From the same "contact" there goes a black/purple and a black/blue cable to a contact on the gearbox.? I hav also cut the "signal" cable to the startengine as long as i colud to see if it was anything wrong whith the cable itself. No result.....

/Simon

xeroz18

so starter motor is ok then - yet new contact isn't working ??

can you unplug the wiring and plug in the old one to test it ??

i guess you are not getting a +12v on the signal (small) wire on the starter motor

yeah thats right. i called it for signal cable from here on.

xeroz18

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eSSZp9B_u68/SnSRwaPpXII/AAAAAAAAAE0/AtREhFj6IGY/s1600-h/Foto087.jpg

The cut off "signal cable"

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eSSZp9B_u68/SnSRwOhJbhI/AAAAAAAAAEs/-DEtLHqamE0/s1600-h/Foto086.jpg

The contact on the gearbox..

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eSSZp9B_u68/SnSRvSh0x1I/AAAAAAAAAEU/xCPbTlYUvCY/s1600-h/Foto091.jpg

The contact on the backside off the fusebox. With the signal cable and the cables from the contact on the gearbox. I dont know if the have anything in common tho.

The homepage www.magdeburgsimon.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
cool cheers, just had a thought the gearbox inhibitor may be the issue - sorry

only thing close info wise i have is a scan of an Ibiza haynes manual if that would help at all ?

looking at it it showing

red/white wire from the ignition switch

to fusebox H1/1

from fusebox F1/1

red/white cable to a connector

red/white cable to terminal on starter motor

Last edited:

xeroz18

ok. i can take a cable from battery+ to a switch inside the car and then a cable from the switch to the startengine. It would be pretty cool. :p

But of course i still want to find out the problem.

Is there any others relays that could be "smoked".

Ofcourse i would like the ibiza scan. I can read thru quickly. I wont do anything more today afterall.

Can it be the computer?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
assuming the ibiza is the same as toledo which in basic principle i can't see it not being then the wire is a direct supply from ignition to starter motor with no relay or fuse listed

so at least it's easily replaced as a new wire and can only assume there is a break in the original somewhere ?

scan here anyway - will upload asap

xeroz18

ok thanks. Yeah iwill look it thru tomorrow and take some more pictures.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
starter.jpg

xeroz18

thanks fl@pper i will let you know tomorrow how it is going.

xeroz18

Hello Thanks for all the help Flapper i really appreciate it. I didnt find out what was the problem. But i took one cable from batery + and one from the startengine to a button inside the car. So now i start the car whith ignition and then press the button. Kinda cool.

By the way do you get any idea why my idle is so high after itooked the +cable off from the battery.

Thanks /Simon

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
check throttle body is closed and working properly and dependant on engine follow breather hoses back to the idle control valve and give both a good clean

can't think of a +12v reason why either would be affected unless you have a deeper wiring issue related to the starter wire? maybe a section of loom shorted out ?

does it change at all after warm up or is it very high all the time ?

worth checking the cable too as you might have leant on it messing with the loom : ) never know :)

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
aerosol carburettor cleaner if you can get it or brake cleaner as alternative but make sure it's dry and clean before firing it up - off car is best way to do it

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.