What Petrol do you use in your Leon FR ?

Poverty

But you may lose performance.

do you fill your Leon with 95RON then?

I will be once I get it. Only when I have plans to drive it briskly for a trackday etc, or my car is specifically mapped to higher grade ron fuel, is when I would only exclusively run the expensive shell stuff. Otherwise on a standard car I would just use the normal 95 ron. Yes you might loose a couple ponies but for normal driving it doesnt really matter and the engines are more than capable of running on the 95 ron. In some european countries thats all they have to choose from!

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I will be once I get it. Only when I have plans to drive it briskly for a trackday etc, or my car is specifically mapped to higher grade ron fuel, is when I would only exclusively run the expensive shell stuff. Otherwise on a standard car I would just use the normal 95 ron. Yes you might loose a couple ponies but for normal driving it doesnt really matter and the engines are more than capable of running on the 95 ron. In some european countries thats all they have to choose from!

In all honesty if you are going to use 95RON generally I wouldn't bother filling up with 98RON just for a track day. Many people say the ECU takes a while to adapt, so the odd tank now and again won't be worth the extra pennies.

On a few occassions I've found 98RON difficult to buy even buying 97RON can be a pain if you are deperate for fuel and don't have a choice of petrol stations.

Gizzer

Apr 24, 2008
Hampshire
Since owning my FR I've only put Tesco 99 or Shell VPower in mine. That was until one day when I was running on fumes and the garage had run out of VPower, so I had to use normal unleaded.

It might be my imagination but I swear the car didn't have as much grunt. As soon as I was nearing empty I went straight back on the Good Stuff :D

FlatCap

Aug 6, 2008
Bolton, Lancs
I used 95 RON stuff on a recent holiday to North Wales as i was struggling to find any Optimax or similar over that way (and when i did it was usually the day AFTER i'd filled up!). I noticed a definite difference with my FR. Idle felt lumpier, kick down in auto seemed to suffer a delay and power dipped slightly before "catching up with itself" when i changed down at higher revs. I definitely got lower MPG for a fact, although i suppose this could have been affected by the roads, my driving style while on holiday, the weather etc etc.
I usually stick to Super unleaded just because i'm paranoid after reading what cheaper lower RON fuels can do to your engine. For the sake of an extra 4 or 5 quid per tank i think i'll carry on with super fuels. Lets be honest, if you're happy spending 12 - 20 grand on a car like the FR do you really want to chance premature engine wear, accept poorer performance and less MPG for the sake of an extra 5 quid a tank?? Dont be so tight!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members