What's your mileage?

vee5

mileage on your v5? I've got 103k on my 2002 V5 170 but I'm pretty sure there are some big mileages around from previous posts. I was wondering if anyone has got over say 150k miles on theirs and if so whether they've had to replace the camchain or MAF?

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
www.gardensandhouses.co.uk
I hit 143000 today. Its a 99 T V5 150. No problems with the cam chain but have replaced one MAF sensor after putting in a K&N air filter! Other than that, I've had a new Alternator about a year ago and I replaced the engine mounts just over a year ago (Fairly simple to replace, but they do cost about £200). Other than that, its wear and tear (Dics's, Suspension struts etc) and is still as sweat as a nut.

I'm fairly sure someone on here has one with 250k + and just had 1 clutch and exhaust replaced somewhere near to that mileage.

vee5

Thats a decent mileage Thev5 - I've just replaces the alternator on mine (at huge cost!) but its on the original MAF. Are you still on your original clutch?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Mines on 120k, but it had its maf replaced relatively early on, I think around 30k?

I'm not intending to replace the cam chain, although if there is a relatively easy way of checking it I might do that during the next service.

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
I'm on the original clutch and exhaust and neither are showing any signs of wear or tear. The MAF was done around 75k and popped its cloggs about 2 days after putting a K&N panel filter in.

The alternator was ok, but the capacitor had gone. It cost about £40 - £50 for a new one and about £160 for a new alternator (complete with compacitor) and as it was 10 years old, I thought I would just replace all of it in one go. Took about 2 hours to do.

I am very happy with the car and have no hesitation about jumping in and driving down to Spain (Which I do 4 or 5 times a year). 10 hours non-stop sat at 90 - 100 for most of the way and getting around 33mpg.

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
I'm not intending to replace the cam chain, although if there is a relatively easy way of checking it I might do that during the next service.

I think the chain is meant to be inspected from 120k onwards. I don't think there is a scheduled replacement for it and from some reports, it should outlive the car. Although, I have heard the odd story of them going. I think you can replace the tensioners on it, but I'm not sure how easy/hard this job is. I did find a guide on how to change the cam chain on the web somewhere. I think to replace it at a garage is a £2k job!

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I'm a below average 80k on a late 99 plate.

I have replaced MAF (that was on about 55k) and clutch and flywheel at 75k (but I am a London boy so with all the traffic probably change gear and brake 5 times as much as most). Discs also just replaced.

Most expensive repair was air con compressor. This went wobbly and snapped the auxillary belt so it's a good job nothing else suffered. Have a feeling my suspension will need attention soon as it's getting a bit clunky on the speed humps.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Only 57K as it was low when I got it and I car share for work. I have replaced all coil packs and the rear pads in 2.5years - that's all. Front discs and pads will need replaced soon though according to last service. Cant believe it's nearly 9 years old and the original exhaust still looks like new. I think because of the galvanised body the body work is still like new too.

MOT next week though so fingers crossed :blink:

Has to be the best all round car I have ever owned. To hear some of the mileages you guys have done with very little problems really fills me with joy. This is one car I could see me having for a long time. So that probably means it'll be in the for sale section next week :p

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Cant believe it's nearly 9 years old and the original exhaust still looks like new.

Mines the same, I was expecting at least a bit of rust around the joints but the thing is immaculate! Makes me almost feel guilty for wanting to swap it for a stainless exhaust...

Random1989

FR MAD
Feb 9, 2010
cleckheaton
original exhaust seriously?, going to get my ibiza fr on saturday got a peugeot 206 at the mo and it's been a new exhaust almost every 2 years and only do 5k a year at most.

hugh_

Aug 25, 2007
Kent
My 2004 PD130 is on 106k. Just usual service items except with shocks and springs which were nackered (done 3k ago) and track rod ends which were seized. Fuel economy has dropped off in the last few months and it hesitates to pick up sometimes so suspect the MAF needs doing.

@Random1989: only doing 5k a year is probably part of the reason the exhaust is going so regularly, especially if they are mainly short journeys which never get the whole exhaust up to temp and evapourate all the water in it.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
@Random1989: only doing 5k a year is probably part of the reason the exhaust is going so regularly, especially if they are mainly short journeys which never get the whole exhaust up to temp and evapourate all the water in it.

My thoughts exactly, short journeys will rot an exhaust in no time. My commute to work is currently 100 miles round trip...

Random1989

FR MAD
Feb 9, 2010
cleckheaton
yeah your right there its 8 mile to get to work i'm too lazy to go any more lol and peugeot only 1.1 so bet it never gets warm. well pointed out

el_toledo_150

Toledo TDI Owner
Mar 15, 2008
Derby
Mines a 04 Toledo TDI 150 Sport and done about 68500 miles.

Still on it's original exhaust.

Would I be right in saying that exhausts on diesels generally last longer?

Don't know when to expect to replace the exhaust on mine

ath55

Mines a 00 V5 150bhp with 140k.

Changed 2 maf's, 3 sets of leads and 1 set of coils.

But luckly the chain hasnt shown any sign of wear.......yet!!

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Only 57K as it was low when I got it and I car share for work. I have replaced all coil packs and the rear pads in 2.5years - that's all. Front discs and pads will need replaced soon though according to last service. Cant believe it's nearly 9 years old and the original exhaust still looks like new. I think because of the galvanised body the body work is still like new too.

MOT next week though so fingers crossed :blink:

Has to be the best all round car I have ever owned. To hear some of the mileages you guys have done with very little problems really fills me with joy. This is one car I could see me having for a long time. So that probably means it'll be in the for sale section next week :p

Passed with flying colours - again. :rolleyes:

sedonou75

paris city
Jan 4, 2010
Paris
my toledo to 123,500 kilometers to 35,000 kilometers bodywork and the engine is a 150hp toledo v5 of March 1999

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.