Wheel advice needed

Gavstr

Ibiza Cupra TDI PD160

I had my M.O.T back in December and the mechanic pointed out that there is some wearing on the inside edges of my two front tyres and said the tracking may be out, but i have never had any vibration through the steering wheel or any other tell tale signs of this.
The other day i took my car to have two new front tyres fitted and the tracking done, since this the steering wheel vibrates like mad everytime i go over 50mph, i checked the wheel bolts and tyre presures and then took it back to the garage, they have now checked the wheels over and have said that one of my wheels is slightly buckled.

Wouldn't i have noticed this before when my tracking was out and if it is buckled what can i do rather than buying another 17 inch alloy, would you have any trouble if you just moved it to the back.

Any advice would be great.

Gavstr

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Ibiza Cupra TDI PD160

I had my M.O.T back in December and the mechanic pointed out that there is some wearing on the inside edges of my two front tyres and said the tracking may be out, but i have never had any vibration through the steering wheel or any other tell tale signs of this.
The other day i took my car to have two new front tyres fitted and the tracking done, since this the steering wheel vibrates like mad everytime i go over 50mph, i checked the wheel bolts and tyre presures and then took it back to the garage, they have now checked the wheels over and have said that one of my wheels is slightly buckled.

Wouldn't i have noticed this before when my tracking was out and if it is buckled what can i do rather than buying another 17 inch alloy, would you have any trouble if you just moved it to the back.

Any advice would be great.

Gavstr

If the wheel was buckled you WOULD have noticed prior to it going in.
Cupra wheels are also very expensive indeed, Did you see them drop any off the machine?
A buckled wheel wouldn't of caused inner tyre wear on both sides, well... It would however you'd get so much wheel vibration it would be dangerous!

After all, if you didn't see anything its your word against theirs!

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I've found my Cupra tdi has a tendancy of wearing the insides slightly quicker. Had my tracking checked last week and it was within tolerance yet the steering wheel is slightly off centre ofter hitting a pot hole. If it's only a small difference, it's not worth the hassle of trying to get it sorted as as you have found out it can make things worse.

I'd take it to another garage instead and get a 2nd opinion. In the mean time you could jack the car up and turn each wheel to see if they are running out of true. No wheel is perfect but anything within a few mil is fine and can be balanced. It will most likely be the inside edge if the wheel is buckled.

Gavstr

Thanks for the advice guys, i have 17 inch spare but the tread is very low on the tyre maybe i'll try swaping that onto the front to see if it gets rid of it.
Also i'll probably run it down to my mate at the motorist centre, if its buckled he'll know.

I'm really suprised though if it is a buckled wheel as they said that the tracking was only fractionally out when they corrected it and i wasn't getting any shaking of the steering wheel before.

Gavstr

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I've found that the cupra wheels are pretty strong to be honest so I'd be surprised if it was buckled. Unless you've hit a decent sized pothole or have been driving up curbs at speed but I'm sure you'd have a tyre bulge as well.

Cheap alloys buckle really easily and you get what you pay for in my opinion

Gavstr

yeah one of my mate mentioned counter balancing today, so funny you should mention that.
I really think that if i take it to the seat garage to see my mate he'll probably just say oh its not you wheel its this.
They had great trouble getting the track rod end lose, could they have bent the track rod end.

Gav

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.