Wheel Hopping/Spin Cupra 290

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Not had chance to fit the insert yet bit as soon as its in ill update, my cupras currently at the body shop as some old boy decided it would look better with a go faster stripes down both doors and front wing,

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

70 Plate- Cupra 290

Sep 10, 2020
Not had chance to fit the insert yet bit as soon as its in ill update, my cupras currently at the body shop as some old boy decided it would look better with a go faster stripes down both doors and front wing,

Was awaiting your update. Do keep us uptodate

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Was awaiting your update. Do keep us uptodate
I wil do sir, im hoping shes back before the weeks out, could you do me a quick favour aswell if you have a minute, just check if you have full undertray on your cupra pleaee as av only got a shitty little thing and if they is supposed to be a full one im straight on phone to dealer lol

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
Any downside to these inserts other than a bit more vibration?

I had a powerflex dogbone Bush on my old Clio 182 as most used to jump put of gear under hard acceleration in 1st gear and most people said they created a lot more vibrations through the car, but I could never tell. Anyway it completed cured the jumping out of first, so I'm hoping one of these will help with wheel hop.

Cant justify tyres yet, but will replace the Pirellis eventually.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
I have the 034 Motorsport insert, which is Aluminium. This gives a massive reduction in wheel hop, pretty much eliminates it in dry, warm conditions, at the expense of a little more vibration, especially at idle, and a little more noise. I've found this an acceptable trade, in fact I think the additional NVH gives the car a little character as it's quiet in standard form.

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
I wil do sir, im hoping shes back before the weeks out, could you do me a quick favour aswell if you have a minute, just check if you have full undertray on your cupra pleaee as av only got a shitty little thing and if they is supposed to be a full one im straight on phone to dealer lol

How did you find the insert btw?

No full tray on mine.

AirBM

Jul 20, 2020

Hows it going?

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
Just fitted my insert this morning. Took about an hour all in, mostly setting up and getting the car up and finding a 21mm socket. Pretty straightforward, didn't think the insert was going to go in at first.

Started the car up on the drive and immediately I could feel a bit more vibration and even the parcel shelf seemed to rattle (when I put it into reverse). Took the car out on some local back roads, very damp at the moment and gave it full beans out of four junctions and dropped down gears at low speeds and hammered it to see how it responded with the insert in. Early days, who knows how it'll do long term, but massively impressed - despite the damp conditions and the P-zeros although there was controllable wheelspin, there wasn't one bit of wheel hop, not a bit. I could have forgiven some given how damp it is and I only expected it to reduce is slightly, but so far the difference is huuuuuuge.

£31 delivered off ebay it cost me (most are £35.95 but I found a cheaper one from a private seller and used some nectar points) so chuffed with the price and the (current) results.

Last edited:

AirBM

Jul 20, 2020
Just fitted my insert this morning. Took about an hour all in, mostly setting up and getting the car up and finding a 21mm socket. Pretty straightforward, didn't think the insert was going to go in at first.

Started the car up on the drive and immediately I could feel a bit more vibration and even the parcel shelf seemed to rattle (when I put it into reverse). Took the car out on some local back roads, very damp at the moment and gave it full beans out of four junctions and dropped down gears at low speeds and hammered it to see how it responded with the insert in. Early days, who knows how it'll do long term, but massively impressed - despite the damp conditions and the P-zeros although there was controllable wheelspin, there wasn't one bit of wheel hop, not a bit. I could have forgiven some given how damp it is and I only expected it to reduce is slightly, but so far the difference is huuuuuuge.

£31 delivered off ebay it cost me (most are £35.95 but I found a cheaper one from a private seller and used some nectar points) so chuffed with the price and the (current) results.

Now im excited. Even though i'm on a lease is the general consensus its ok?

Not sure if i need PFF85-832 or PFF85-830 ?

Last edited:

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
Been out in it today and there is still a bit of wheel hop, though it is very wet on the roads. Its not half as bad and there actually seems less in Cupra mode than comfort. Still impressed, made a massive difference.

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
Now im excited. Even though i'm on a lease is the general consensus its ok?

Not sure if i need PFF85-832 or PFF85-830 ?

I couldn't honestly answer that. its easy to fit and easy to remove, but you could get caught out if you had an accident or something and if left on there's a definite change in terms of vibrations when going into reverse.

Best thing to do is get you phone on camera and crawl under the side of the car and take a few photos of the underneath of the area where the dog bone is whilst your at the side. then use them for reference- easy to tell if you get a decent photo.

Reactions: AirBM

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Full set of mounts cure the hop but still get spin jist no jackhammer noise, sometimes. Its that violent in mine i think box is gunna snap out or something, regret buyin a cupra if am honest

AirBM

Jul 20, 2020
Full set of mounts cure the hop but still get spin jist no jackhammer noise, sometimes. Its that violent in mine i think box is gunna snap out or something, regret buyin a cupra if am honest

Yeh i totally understand, coming from a RWD with no grip in this weather but smooth sliding was nicer all round. The jackhammer is awful.

Reactions: Cuprabenwytm

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster

Out of interest - how many mounts are there?

I do love my car, but there are aspects of it like it being fwd with 290ps that I question the wisdom of and sometimes wonder if paying a bit more for a Golf R, that I don't like the look of as much, might have been a better option because of the traction and the areas in which I mostly use it. Sometimes having that power but being unable to put it down seems a bit pointless, not something I've had to deal with before. The insert has improved things massively though and I wonder if a proper dogbone powerflex bush would have been a better choice long term.

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
There's 3 mounts all together revo do a package with them all in but then yiu loose thw nvh factors of stock, i like the cupra its fun to drive and sometimes wants to kill you wich is why i went for it over the s3 golf r just dont do it for me, come from an audi and im going back to one next time haha

Reactions: perryqhill

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
The middle one dude

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201207_210427_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201207_210427_com.android.chrome.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: perryqhill

70 Plate- Cupra 290

Sep 10, 2020

Dont say that lol, its an amazing car. Yes this is probably its huge downside for sure not being able to put power down smoothly on its wheels since its front wheel. But just let the wheels get a little hot and you wont get the Wheel Hop at all to be honest. Iv just stopped putting my foot down after 5 minutes of driving. I make sure the wheels are warm first before trying. If you dont want to wait then get to 30 mph then put your foot down it wont happen.

Reactions: Cuprabenwytm

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020

Yeh its a bit if a bitch, and when i first got my C300 i had a similar downhearted feeling. but...

Everyone i know who has gone for the golf R has found it great off the mark but dull as dishwater everywhere else. Fast but "german fast" as one describes it. Infact having swapped cars with one of them for a stretch of the NC500 recently he is now thinking of swapping to a cupra permanently, I however wanted my cupra back within about 5 miles of being in the R.. Absolutely no regrets for me now.

If you want a quarter mile racer then golf/s3, if you want a car for having fun in the twisty stuff then the cupra wins hands down for me

Reactions: RichEdmonds
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.