Wheel Hopping/Spin Cupra 290

AirBM

Jul 20, 2020
Yeh its a bit if a bitch, and when i first got my C300 i had a similar downhearted feeling. but...

Everyone i know who has gone for the golf R has found it great off the mark but dull as dishwater everywhere else.

If you want a quarter mile racer then golf/s3, if you want a car for having fun in the twisty stuff then the cupra wins hands down for me

This a thousand time. Been in a few gold R and test drove one. So boring it's untrue. Roll on variable 2-4wd.

Reactions: RichEdmonds

FOX1429

Aug 6, 2012
Wales
Yeh its a bit if a bitch, and when i first got my C300 i had a similar downhearted feeling. but...

Everyone i know who has gone for the golf R has found it great off the mark but dull as dishwater everywhere else. Fast but "german fast" as one describes it. Infact having swapped cars with one of them for a stretch of the NC500 recently he is now thinking of swapping to a cupra permanently, I however wanted my cupra back within about 5 miles of being in the R.. Absolutely no regrets for me now.

If you want a quarter mile racer then golf/s3, if you want a car for having fun in the twisty stuff then the cupra wins hands down for me

+1 from me.

Went from Cupra to Golf R and within months binned the R for exactly same reasons. Too refined and measured.

Back in Cupra300 and don’t regret it other than missing the ACC

Reactions: RichEdmonds
Dec 11, 2020
Germany
Hi !
Apart from all the mods mentioned before I would recommend you to get a JB4 controller. With it you can set boost by gear . If your car is stock it will serve good for move power and If remapped you can also stack it for data logging, water meth controller and multiple maps.

Reactions: Cuprabenwytm

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
If it makes everyone feel better... I actually experienced worse wheel hop in a 2014 v40 t4 with only 180HP

After 5 years of driving a cupra, and trying different tyres and dogbone insert, it still happens.

The best advice I can give with trying to drive the cupra, is learn the car and learn good throttle control. I can pull away so much quicker by moving off the line slowly, hitting the throttle about 70% of the way in first, then shortish shifting to second then burying the accelerator in second than either flooring it from the mark or launch control.

You have to remember this car has a stiff chassis and a clever diff, with 300hp through the front wheels, you do need to drive it with your brain, thats what makes it more exciting than the golf r or s3

AirBM

Jul 20, 2020
If it makes everyone feel better... I actually experienced worse wheel hop in a 2014 v40 t4 with only 180HP

After 5 years of driving a cupra, and trying different tyres and dogbone insert, it still happens.

The best advice I can give with trying to drive the cupra, is learn the car and learn good throttle control. I can pull away so much quicker by moving off the line slowly, hitting the throttle about 70% of the way in first, then shortish shifting to second then burying the accelerator in second than either flooring it from the mark or launch control.

You have to remember this car has a stiff chassis and a clever diff, with 300hp through the front wheels, you do need to drive it with your brain, thats what makes it more exciting than the golf r or s3

Yeh i feel like if im really concentrating/purposely driving quick it's easy to manage. It's the normal driving/overtaking/pulling out that catches me off guard at the moment. Plus, the weather has been abysmal.

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Its not just about been quick of the line tjo some times i enjoy doing buurnouts on handbreak and cant even do them half the time haha, its easy to control is the hop but when you forget you know about it, as foe the volvo i totaly understand, when some old geeza t boned my cupra in a car park they gave me a 3pot focus 1 litre turbo and that whell hop was far worse than the cupra, couldnt belive it iv never drove a slower car

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

2Stevo2

Oct 20, 2015
North Lanarkshire, Scotland
The worst wheel hop I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing occurred last night.

I had just turned onto an empty dual carriageway at slow speeds so thought "why not" and floored it. Initial traction was good.

Having just manually shifted up into 3rd gear, I went over a sizeable bump in the road. Cue massive wheel hop to the the point I thought I had driven through the most massive pothole the world has ever seen. But no.

The momentary loss of grip followed by traction a split second later would make you think someone had hit the car with a sledgehammer.

Ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: 70 Plate- Cupra 290

70 Plate- Cupra 290

Sep 10, 2020
The worst wheel hop I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing occurred last night.

I had just turned onto an empty dual carriageway at slow speeds so thought "why not" and floored it. Initial traction was good.

Having just manually shifted up into 3rd gear, I went over a sizeable bump in the road. Cue massive wheel hop to the the point I thought I had driven through the most massive pothole the world has ever seen. But no.

The momentary loss of grip followed by traction a split second later would make you think someone had hit the car with a sledgehammer.

Ridiculous.
Its happened to me many times, Simple rule for me now to overcome this issue is no flooring it when its wet or if im under 30mph. Iv not had a wheelhop since following this rule. Also what tyres are you rolling I heard PS4/PS4S eliminates this issue by 60%

QTom

Sep 22, 2017

Ridiculous.

Yeah you have to keep an eye on the road: holes, bumps or just a bad road surface definitely set it off.

I've also been quite annoyed by this issue, hopefully when I eventually swap the continentals for PS4's it'll happen less. Also been considering the dog bone mount but not sure I'm that bothered by it.

2Stevo2

Oct 20, 2015
North Lanarkshire, Scotland
Its happened to me many times, Simple rule for me now to overcome this issue is no flooring it when its wet or if im under 30mph. Iv not had a wheelhop since following this rule. Also what tyres are you rolling I heard PS4/PS4S eliminates this issue by 60%
I have the original Conti Sports. I'm loathed to change them at the moment with them being so new and rather good in the wet but when they need changed, I think enough people sing the praises of the PS4s to justify the purchase.

Reactions: 70 Plate- Cupra 290

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Iv had budgets ps4s contis and non of them made a difference to the wheel hop in the wet, in the dry hands down ps4s

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.