whistly noise inside car.

Mel D

Hello, I am newbee to the forum and I wander if anyone can help me with this problem with my altea xl 2.0 diesel. The noise doesn't appear to be coming from the windows.
Thanks

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
What does it sound like apart from whistling, low, high pitched, on or off boost, cold start or when warm, any other indicators such as smoke or excess fuel use?

Mel D

Thank You for your reply,the whistle pitch increases as the speed increases,possibly from the boot , its not a turbo noise.
I have noticed whitish smoke has been seen when starting from cold.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Right now im stumped.lol. From the boot you say, tyres unevenly worn maybe? some smoke on start is ok. Someone knowledgeble will be along to answer all your woes....

Mel D

Thank You for trying to find out my whistley noise in my car,I finally found out that it was the windscreen side trim the drivers side one was loose and that was what the whistle was.:D

Mel D

Hi, I had the windscreen trim replaced and unfortunately the whistly noise is still there, I have noticed that when I open the window halfway down the whistle noise is very loud has anyone got any ideas what it could be.
Thanks in advance

robint

Apr 12, 2006
UK, Essex
Ther were issues relating to the mirrors on earlier Alteas - fitting a little bit of sponge between mirror and door worked wonders on wind noises above about 40mph. Wonder if yours is missing. Try folding the mirrors in and see if the noise disappears - that will tell you if it is related to the mirror/side window area at least!

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
The part number for the Mirror Foam Kit is SEAT Kit part Number 5PO 857 939 A.

I fitted this to my previous 05 Altea and the wind noise completely disappeared

Mel D

Hi, Thanks for all your help, I folded the mirrors in to see whether the noise was still there, the loud whistle was almost gone but could still hear wind noise, does anyone know whether the foam in the mirrors was a modification done under warranty or will I have to purchase the foam?
Thanks

Mel D

I phoned Seat Service and they have never heard of the foam kit you can buy to stop the wind noise.
The car was supposed to go in today but Seat cancelled the appointment and said that they want to tpi or cpi my car which means taking both door trims off to get to the mirrors so they can bring the mirrors in closer to the car.
Has anyone else had this done? Seat told me that they have done this already on one car, I am abit concerned about it.:help:
Thanks in advance

Mel D

Hi, I have just had the foam kit put in the mirrors and doors and still there is whistley wind noise,has anyone got anymore ideas about this problem it seems to be only on the drivers side that the noise is coming from.
Thanks

Mel D

I have been constantly backwards and forwards to SEAT about this whistley noise when to window is down as well as listening to it inside the car,they have put foam in the mirrors and the doors, adjusted the doors, and now they finally think they have found out what the problem is.
They think that the noise is coming from the back of the mirror,so they have ordered a mirror backing cover,so hopefully this will sort out the problem.
Thank You all for your help with this problem.

hazyo

Hello, I am newbee to the forum and I wander if anyone can help me with this problem with my altea xl 2.0 diesel. The noise doesn't appear to be coming from the windows.
Thanks
i have altea 19tdi sport with same problem.awaiting kit from seat dealer to fit to drivers window,thats where wind noise is coming from....being done under warranty

hazyo

Mel D

Thanks for your reply, I have had a foam kit put in the mirrors, some foam fitted inside the doors, I have had the doors adjusted, a windscreen trim fitted,and now they have ordered a mirror backing piece because they think the noise is coming from them.
The car is due to go in again on the 5th of November so I will ask them about the kit for the windows,it might be that they have already done that maybe that it is why it makes a horrible squeeking sound when you open and close them.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
I noticed that I have a piece of white foam about 2mm thick and about 8 x4 cm stuck to the front surface of rear passenger doors, right at the base under hinge. Is this a similar fix? Or just some lazy car prep when new 3 years ago?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.