White dust particles from air vents into the cabin

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I have got a problem I've never seen before.

When the fans are on, white particles (like dust) come out of the vents. I hadn't had the fan speed at full yet, so I thought these were just small bits of dust and a minor annoyance until today!

This morning, I turned the heater on full blast to clear the windscreen condensation. Loads of these white dust particles shot out of the vents and covered my windscreen, dashboard, fascia, centre console, and all over my work clothes and in my face and eyes.

Anyone had this happen before? It doesn't seem to be a very common fault according to google. The car is under approved used warranty, but only named parts cover, so I am hoping that if I book it in, it will get resolved FOC.

I only hoovered and cleaned the car at the weekend, and after 1 journey to work, the dash looks like this:

IMG_20221010_081327883.jpg

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow

When the fans are on, white particles (like dust) come out of the vents. I hadn't had the fan speed at full yet, so I thought these were just small bits of dust and a minor annoyance until today!

This morning, I turned the heater on full blast to clear the windscreen condensation. Loads of these white dust particles shot out of the vents and covered my windscreen, dashboard, fascia, centre console, and all over my work clothes and in my face and eyes.

Anyone had this happen before? It doesn't seem to be a very common fault according to google. The car is under approved used warranty, but only named parts cover, so I am hoping that if I book it in, it will get resolved FOC.

I only hoovered and cleaned the car at the weekend, and after 1 journey to work, the dash looks like this:

View attachment 34042
It sounds like your pollen filter has disintegrated.

Reactions: CalJames

SuperV8

May 30, 2019

View attachment 34042
Lots of tiny white 'flies' about at the moment - look like white ash from a fire, but if you look very closely you can see them flying!!
Or did the previous owner smoke a lot?

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
When I got the car in August, it was doing it slightly then from the vents, so I replaced the pollen filter with a new Mann filter.

Previous owner didn't smoke, car is otherwise immaculate inside (including smell).

mick_n3

Jul 23, 2014
Kettering Northants
Oxidisation on the evaprator core.
My first MK3 a 2014 was terrible for it, started at about 18 months old just the same as yours covered the dash console etc, did it until I sold it, 2nd MK3 a 2016 never did it at all. and I had that 3 years.

It was mentioned in a thread on here years ago, had a quick look but can't find it

Found a thread from the Mk7 Golf forum same issue link here - White dust from Mk7 golf heater

I would be taking it back under warranty

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Thanks for the responses.

That Golf GTD issue seems very similar to mine, but without pictures it is hard to tell if theirs is worse or a constant amount.

I have only had the car about 8 weeks. It was on a forecourt for about 4 months before that.

I noticed small amounts when I first got the car, but it was only 4 days ago when I had to demist the windscreen and had the heater on full, that the big plume of dust came out and covered the dashboard (pictured above).

Since then, I have driven and operated the AC & heating at full blast every day, and there is virtually no bits coming out anymore.

It's hard to know whether the parts will keep coming slowly but constantly because something is breaking down (evaporator), or if someone has previously used a dashboard cleaner that has dried in the vents and created dust flakes, and these are now clearing.

The car is under warranty and it is booked in next week. If they find no/barely any dust coming from the vents, wont they just say no fault found?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
They are going to say no fault found and send you on your merry / not so merry way.

Just blast the fan now and again

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.