Nov 17, 2019
Hi everyone.

I have a Leon mk3 fr tdi 184 2016 plate.

Last year when I took my car to dealership for service I noticed there was like a air sound. This sound wasn't there before the service. So anyways I took it back and they said everything is fine and they suspect its a wheel bearing?! This was replaced.

I never took much notice of it after that as I have been busy with other things but come these colder days iv noticed the sound has become alot worse.

When driving under load the whoosing sound is really loud. Iv searched forums where similar scenarios are mentioned but they are different models. The sound is coming from the passenger side like somewhere near the airbox. I have looked near the airbox opened it and checked the pipes to and from plus around it. Everything seems fine. Can someone direct me what else to check? It's driving me insane.

When the whoosing starts the car runs rough and the mpg is rubbish. The engine sounds more rattly to. I know it's most likely a leak somewhere but I need directing to which areas to look at.

Thank you all very much.

Nov 17, 2019
I have been to a mechanic who said I don't have a intercooler? The water is cooled by the inlet manifold. He put a smoke machine onto the air intake and nothing came up. What else could be the cause. Now am well confused

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Google confirms the mechanic is correct. It is watercooled.

news to me. Everyday is a school day and all that

Nov 17, 2019
I am thinking could it be a boost or map sensor. Recently the sound comes and goes which is odd. Some days the sound isn't there and power is 100%. Other times itl make whoosing sound and power is low. How would I check if the boost or.map sensor are the cause? The car only came out of warranty 4 months ago.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
It certainty sounds like a boost leak along with the rough running. Do you notice any black smoke out the back when it does it?
Could possibly be bad joint that unseal's under high boost but can contain it under low boost, hence the intermittent frequency of the problem and why a smoke test didn't reveal the issue.

Nov 17, 2019
It certainty sounds like a boost leak along with the rough running. Do you notice any black smoke out the back when it does it?
Could possibly be bad joint that unseal's under high boost but can contain it under low boost, hence the intermittent frequency of the problem and why a smoke test didn't reveal the issue.

No smoke but I think might be because the dpf is keeping it in? Like when the whoosing isn't there I can put my right foot down and the car just goes goes goes but when the whoosing is there then there's hesitation. I was reading on this forum someone talking about the boost sensors being faulty on some models. I really want to get it fixed because I really like my car and when it's running right it's like a monster

ray

Jan 7, 2016
A whooshing sound is the air being sucked in by your turbo, which you shouldn’t be able to hear noticeable differences so there has to be a leak somewhere.

Get someone to sit in the car and give a rev with your head under the bonnet to source it, if it’s intermittent then this might not work.

If it’s been right after a service it’s surely going to be with the air box, have you taken the air filter out and checked that?

Annoying problem to have, I had it with my PD130 and it was an Intercooler pipe clamp that had slipped off.

Hope you find it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
A whooshing sound is the air being sucked in by your turbo, which you shouldn’t be able to hear noticeable differences so there has to be a leak somewhere.

Get someone to sit in the car and give a rev with your head under the bonnet to source it, if it’s intermittent then this might not work.

If it’s been right after a service it’s surely going to be with the air box, have you taken the air filter out and checked that?

Annoying problem to have, I had it with my PD130 and it was an Intercooler pipe clamp that had slipped off.

Hope you find it!

I had that same problem on my old PD130, the lugs on the pipe had worn so much that it just popped out.

The fact OP is saying there is hesitation when it does it is what makes me believe it to be a boost leak, the 2 go hand in hand. The fact it's intermittent is the odd part. A boost leak usually remains until it's fixed or something else breaks as a result.

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Yup, the only thing I can think of is some sort of seal or connection between the turbo and the air intake possibly slipping on and off? Depending on load or weather, with it being intermittent it has to be before the turbo as the pressure between the turbo and the engine would be too much to only happen sometimes...

Get in there and tug those pipes between the turbo and the air intake and hopefully one is loose!!!

Nov 17, 2019
So I rang the SEAT dealership which I bought my car from and have been dealing with. The guy on the phone was pretty nice and said the master technician will be in tomorrow and to bring it in so they can see what the issue is. The problem for me? The car has been running spot on with no noise or whoosing. Power/torque etc spot on. So if the sound isn't there tomorow I will have to cancel. This car is playing with my head!

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
It may still be worth taking it in with or without the noise present at the time. They'll still poke around and may spot the problem even if it isn't displaying the symptoms at that moment in time.

Aug 22, 2023
Hi everyone.

I have a Leon mk3 fr tdi 184 2016 plate.

Last year when I took my car to dealership for service I noticed there was like a air sound. This sound wasn't there before the service. So anyways I took it back and they said everything is fine and they suspect its a wheel bearing?! This was replaced.

I never took much notice of it after that as I have been busy with other things but come these colder days iv noticed the sound has become alot worse.

When driving under load the whoosing sound is really loud. Iv searched forums where similar scenarios are mentioned but they are different models. The sound is coming from the passenger side like somewhere near the airbox. I have looked near the airbox opened it and checked the pipes to and from plus around it. Everything seems fine. Can someone direct me what else to check? It's driving me insane.

When the whoosing starts the car runs rough and the mpg is rubbish. The engine sounds more rattly to. I know it's most likely a leak somewhere but I need directing to which areas to look at.

Thank you all very much.
hi..did you find the problem?I have the same problem and I don't really know how to find it or with what to start!I have inspected the pipes and I have changed the n75 with new one ...and still do the same hissing as there is a boost leak and lag of power

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members