why me??? clutch pedal.

mike000

mk3 1.8 tsi
Jul 21, 2008
Birmingham
i was dropping my friend home on friday nite and just as i am pullin in his road my clutch pedal just hit the floor. plastic went flyin and i i had to push my car (in the rain) at 1 in the mornin to my mates house. i wasnt very happy as you can imagine. Anyway the next day i go under my dash to check it out (in the rain). and found that on the clutch pedal there is a sort of CUP that holds a plastic block on the end of a ball joint. wot had happened was on the lid of the CUP the welds had broke (the weld was weak as fook in the first place) and no longer held this plastic block in place. my friend recons that they make these welds weak so that if you have a crash the pedals fold . Has anyone had this problem because im pissed off and very wet. :wtf:

bobak

Opinionated non-mechanic
May 15, 2008
not just you, as said above, prob most ibiza owners. £20 quick weld for me

Dan1.6

1.6 Power FTW!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2008
Chesterfield
try and get that bit welded up

otherwise its about a £250 fix well it were for me

its going to be tricky to weld though

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
try and get that bit welded up

otherwise its about a £250 fix well it were for me

its going to be tricky to weld though

they must have seen you coming cos only a couple months ago i just replaced the pedal/clip
£40 trade price

unfortunately this happens to EVERYONE at some stage, only a mater of when, my ibiza got to 71k before it happened others have suffered it with much lower miles

Last edited:

mike000

mk3 1.8 tsi
Jul 21, 2008
Birmingham
im gonna spot weld it myself wen the weather gets better. mine has 60000 on the clock so if it hasnt happened to you yet. i would wip the covers off and have a look at the weld. from what i could see the original weld was ****. so check it out cause its a ****er when it goes and your miles from home. just a warning. cheers lads its made me feel better knowin its not just my car.

mike000

mk3 1.8 tsi
Jul 21, 2008
Birmingham
At the minute i have metal cable ties holdin the lid on the box. any ideas where i might go to get it welded. i managed to get it home but it wont hold up for long. (Only changed gear three times on the way home) would i go to the local mechanics or just do it myself. my friend has a spot welder. though i have never welded in my life.......

Dan1.6

1.6 Power FTW!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2008
Chesterfield
i wouldnt recomended doin it yourself if you havent had any experiance
local welding company maybe or your local garage

mike000

mk3 1.8 tsi
Jul 21, 2008
Birmingham
Just thought i'd let you all know. had the pedal welded at a garage for £10. Result. Back on the road in the sunshine :)

greg

Aug 31, 2005
I've had 2 ibiza cupras and it happened to both :( first time i welded it back with the pedal still in place, second time i removed the pedal using the quick guide i found on here and welded it whilst off the car (recommended option).

Daz_Wilko89

MK3 Cupra Owner
Jun 26, 2007
Yarm
Had this go on my arosa, got a new pedal box and welded the f*** out of it before fitting it back in. was a c*** of a job to do to replace the full pedal box but it needed doing and its lasted another 3 owners since ive sold it nearly 2 year ago

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.