Why would anyone buy a petrol over a diesel these days?

sicasey

FR Derv Power
Jul 24, 2005
Cheshire
I cant think of any proper reason why anyone who does more than 4K a year would buy a petrol over a diesel these days......

Modern diesel's are very very quick

MPG faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better than petrol

More refined than they used to be - once your moving you cant tell it is a diesel

They hold they value better

I just cant justify spanking a load of cash on feeding a pertrol car's thirst when i can do uber miles in my diesel. Discuss............... :bleh:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
sicasey said:
once your moving you cant tell it is a diesel

Bet you a million quid you do.

it's the short power band & constantly waggling the gear shifter to get peak torque, but not too much, because your clutch & gearbox will go.

Tdi's don't rev to 7k, and suffer turbo lag (again narrowing the useable power band)

Yes the MPG is good - but it's not astounding considering what you can get from a petrol

I'll let all the others verbally toss you off about 'riding the torque' and 'covering the person behind in ****' but I'm bored whitless of these pointless threads.

sicasey

FR Derv Power
Jul 24, 2005
Cheshire
Blimey - touched a raw nerve or what!

"Pointless Thread" I think that it is becoming more and more important as people switch to diesel............I know countless people who once they switched to derv swear they would never go back unless the car was for pure fun purposes e.g. Elise/Caterham etc.....

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
no raw nerve. just bored to the point of amazement of the 'tdi' owners who feel the need to talk about torque & mpg again like we don't already have 4+yrs of posts doing exactly the same bloody thing.

tdi's aren't bad - I never said they were - but you need a reality check if you think that anyone a) cares b) won't disagree with you (they're all too much like sheep)

Shock_Xe

people would buy a petrol so the thing would actually rev past 4.5k :p

m0rk said:
like we don't already have 4+yrs of posts doing exactly the same bloody thing.

This is a problem on any long standing internet forum. Unless there is some new topic of discussion that is central to the forum. In out case new models coming along, some new mod, or a big event. They the topics do repeat, at least from the point view of the members who have been here for a long time.

You will always get new people coming along ans asking all the same question that we did when we first started here. If you've been a part of the forum for many years then you will get bored witless of the same topics of discussion being raised by new member over and over. Just remember, you where once one of the new members who did this as well (well maybe not you m0rk but others who've been around as long as you). I know that you hate the face that people never use the search function but frankly, you go to a discussion forum to ask questions and discuss topics. You'd go to a reference site if you wanted to read about a topic. Of course there is no such site in exsitence that i know of today - and this is not a dig at the SCN admin for not setting one up, i know that nobody can expect you to do so - so people just ask questions.

You'll find computer forums tend to suffer less from this due to the constantly changing technologies which always bring new things to discuss. Cars evolve at a much slower pace.

Sorry for going on a bit, but i just felt like having a good ramble.

BTW m0rk, i love the last line in you sig :lol:

cupralite

Nov 26, 2004
Warrington
It is a pointless argument but, for the record, let me just say that I :censored: ing hate stinking diesels! Nothing to do with logic - i.e. mpg or torque. Just can't stand the stench when I am sat behind them!! :bleh:

Oh and just to throw my opionion in the circle, Diesels may not sound like tractors any more but they sure as hell are never going to sound as good as petrol engines. Theres nothing that gets that gets the heart going like the noise from a good engine.

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
Well we've had lots of whooshy dump valve posts again so why not wheel out the Derv Vs petrol debate again ;)

PS I have numerous reasons, I dont like diesels lack of revs, noise or smoke. (sorry couldn't resist)

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
i drive D'S and TDI'S all day,fecking hate them with a passion,even filling the bloody things up takes a change of clothes and footwear,i have to wear gloves and then have to walk onto the grass and wipe my feet when i've filled up so i don't drag the stench and grease onto the pedals of the van/lorry.
i don't do the miles in the car to appreciate the MASSIVE mpg increase,and having the shove of a turbo and one that actually revs like the 20vt wins hands down for me.
the supervisors at work go on and on about the power of their focus tdi's and how they blow away GTI'S in them,obviously driven by people who don't wan to smell the crap coming out of the ferrari killing tdi infront

Last edited:

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
FWIW, I don't really care diesel vs petrol debate. I drive a diesel, but there's nothing to say it's better than the petrol version (aside from the fact that I was doing a minimum of 500 miles a week when I bought it).

As to what my next car is when I replace this? Who knows. I'll have a look around the market and see what strikes my fancy.

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
I now have a diesel but did have a petrol 2 weeks ago. Good economy, good torque but I am missing the revs you would get from a petrol (and the discreet DV whoosh ;) )

It really depends what you want from a car! I needed economy as I do 400+ miles a week. If I drove less often, the petrol Cupra would have stayed.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Its true what we save in petrol money, we spend on cleaning products! Another point is insurance was £400 cheaper on the diesel ibiza.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members