Will coilovers settle without driving the car?

mitch2028

Sep 4, 2008
Mad question i know but maybe someone can answer it? Ive fitted my coilovers tonight and got them the lowest setting they can do all the way down the threads. I dont drive my car though maybe 6 miles a week at the very most...will they settle on the car with just the weight of the car on them or will it have to be driven? :confused:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
does it move with it that low ?

last time we tried one on lowest setting it beeched on the ramp so god knows how long the sump will last

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
When i had my AP's fitted i ask for it to be reasonably low, nothing too stupid, London's roads are a joke! Was abit dissopointed when i drove home and took a few snaps, looked like it hadnt really been lowered at all. Over the next few days it dropped abit more and settled down to just the perfect height for me.

mitch2028

Sep 4, 2008
of course it moves....it is very low in all fairness but i found with my arosa i have to raise them up as soon as it starts to settle (subframe catching on camber in the road) Theyre TA technix cheap trosh...ive had them on 2 other cars, theyre normally pretty good for lows not handling! but id say im slightly dissapointed with the front in comparisn to the back.

ha2020

Nov 17, 2011
Leeds
Hi quick question, just put some fk coilovers on, only the rear as they alone took me 3 hours, don't ask lot, whilst driving i noticed that the rears were making a squeaky/ metal grind sort of noise, is that because they have just bee put on ? it sounds like the rear springs are rubbing against the metal plates yhat you put on them, any ideas really need the help.

thanks

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
The spring seats should have a recess where the spring end sits, that should stop it moving and rubbing. However, if it took you three hours just to do the rears, I would have a look at it all as there's no way they should have taken that long! :)

ha2020

Nov 17, 2011
Leeds
so you think that whats causing it ? it drives fine only when it hits a bump on the road it screeches, should i wd-40 it also ? Lol well the bolts would not come off had to lubricate and leave for a while, then i had the problem of getting the right shock out as it wouldnt budge, oh yeh included a lunch break to.

thanks

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
They will settle without driving.
Make sure your car is perfectly level when adjusting. When I fitted mine, the drive was on a slight side incline, didn't look that low, but couldn't get off my drive!

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
so you think that whats causing it ? it drives fine only when it hits a bump on the road it screeches, should i wd-40 it also ? Lol well the bolts would not come off had to lubricate and leave for a while, then i had the problem of getting the right shock out as it wouldnt budge, oh yeh included a lunch break to.

thanks

Plusgas is your friend for any dismantling, when I did my suspension I soaked everything in it overnight. Next morning I had no problem! (Well, apart from the one bolt that I hadn't soaked because I didn't think I'd have to remove it!)

It might be the shock absorber, it could be the suspension bush. Lift your car up on one jack, then use another to lift the suspension. See if you can hear creaks as it moves.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.