Will the spoiler hold a bike rack?

shox

I was wondering whether the spoiler of the ibiza would hold a bike rack (you know, the ones that use hooks instead of a tow bar). i have it from my previous car and i dont really have a tow bar (and i prefer it this way :p).

3536252425_0dd9255544_o.jpg

ps. sorry if this has been answered before!

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Not a chance. Even if the fixings don't tear themselves out of the spoiler, the spoiler itself will break.

Next time you're washing your car, see how little pressure it takes to bend it.

I am a bit confused though, won't the fixings go underneath the spoiler?

shox

Not a chance. Even if the fixings don't tear themselves out of the spoiler, the spoiler itself will break.

Next time you're washing your car, see how little pressure it takes to bend it.

I am a bit confused though, won't the fixings go underneath the spoiler?

I havent really checked carefully but im not sure if i can reach under the spoiler there. Good point tho, ill go check it out, brb!

edit: Just realized its raining outside -,- ill check tomorrow morning!

Last edited:

20VT Andy

I have a Halfords rack I use quite regularly on my Cupra. The straps go through the seal to the inside of the car, so the weight is supported on the hinge/tailgate & bumper. Mine even has side straps to prevent sideways movement. These fasten to the glass (!) but are not really tight enough to cause any damage anyway.

josh263uk

Waiting for the sunshine!
Aug 13, 2007
Saarland Germany
I wouldnt like to put any massive weigh on the spoiler, Ive seen the damage to cars with bike racks, hence why I went for the tow bar.

ibiza64

Jun 23, 2009
the fixings dont attatch directly to the spoiler, i have one and you open the boot a bit to slide the hooks through to the inside of the car. :) no worries no hassle :)

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
I shaped some hard foam blocks around my spoiler when I had to move my bike. The blocks basically prevented the top straps from touching the spoiler.

Binz

I normally just take front wheel off the bike, fold down rear seats and bung it in the back of the car (have a tarp to put down 1st if bike is too dirty). But am interested in the rack solution as want to carry 3 bikes this summer for family days out.

anth87

I know this is an old post but wondered if anyone had a solution for this problem I also have a Seat Ibiza 2006 model.

I was looking at the following model - Peruzzo Venezia

Apparently it has extra large clips to allow you to fasten to the metal door rather than the spoiler but I am still a little concerned about the spoiler.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members