Mar 2, 2022
Hi all, I have a Leon MK4, 20 plate and was wondering if anyone is facing the same issues I am? I’ve noticed the last few days when leaving work in the carpark that my car is the only one whose windscreen is completely fogged up. Takes a good 10 minutes before it starts going with the AC on. Pretty sure my last Leon did this too and was wondering if it’s a common Seat thing?

Second, when it’s cold I constantly get the ‘front assist is unavailable’ message when I first turn on the car for a good 5 minutes with a warning light. Again, is this common? Thanks :)

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
My Mk3.5 and the Mk4 mist up on the inside in the cold weather. My wife's Kia does the same, tried the absorbent packs doesn't really work. Since it's been getting damper as it gets colder I've also been having the front assist issue which goes after driving for a few minutes so suspect its perhaps damp on the front sensor? I don't want the dealer to investigate unless it fails completely.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
If it's just fogged then that's normal, any moisture in the car from your wet feet etc will condense on the coldest surface i.e. the windscreen during colder days. If it gets completed saturated and dripping wet then you likely have a leak and need to check the low points for ponding water.

The front assist light I've only ever seen come on after a very bumpy road, but the whole system isn't an exact science or very reliable so experiences may vary.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
This subject crops up every year on many VAG forums as the air temperature gets cooler. Unfortunately, condensation on the inside of car windows at this time of year is a natural phenomenon, although I don’t know why it seems to affect some makes / models of car more than others - maybe it’s down to the heating / ventilation and air con settings used in individual cars by their drivers.

As the outside air temperature drops, if the car’s inside cabin temperature is warm (e.g. if the car’s been standing in direct sunshine or has recently been driven with the heating on), then the warmer air in the car coming into contact with the cooling / cold glass causes condensation to form - always seems to affect the front and rear ‘angled’ screens more than the vertical side windows. You could try the actions listed below to minimise condensation build up, although the last two won’t help if your car’s parked up in sunshine during daylight hours and the outside temperature starts to drop later in the day;
  • Ensure the interior surfaces of your car’s windows are scrupulously clean as condensation finds it more difficult to stick to clean glass that it does to dirty glass.
  • Ensure any damp or wet items such as coats and wet umbrellas are always removed from the car, and don’t keep carpet mats that have become wet in the car (I use rubber mats as they’re easier to remove water from and to dry off).
  • Try the moisture absorbing packs - although they don’t always work though as @Yern has said above. Pingi car dehumidifying bags have had positive reviews in the past on various car forums, although I’ve read of people also using cat litter either in ladies tights or an old sock. Some people have used those little silica gel bags often found in the packaging of electrical products (you’d need lots of them though to have any effect).
  • Always keep the air con turned on during the winter months for its dehumidifying effect.
  • Try equalising the car’s interior temperature with the exterior temperature just before the end of your journey by turning the heat down and opening the window slightly for the last 1/2 mile or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richiepoos

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
If possible leave the front windows open a little, the through draught helps keeps windows clear-I have wind deflectors-but doing the couple of minutes drive cooling the car helps, as does clean windows.

Jdt020471

Dec 11, 2021
Hi all, I have a Leon MK4, 20 plate and was wondering if anyone is facing the same issues I am? I’ve noticed the last few days when leaving work in the carpark that my car is the only one whose windscreen is completely fogged up. Takes a good 10 minutes before it starts going with the AC on. Pretty sure my last Leon did this too and was wondering if it’s a common Seat thing?

Second, when it’s cold I constantly get the ‘front assist is unavailable’ message when I first turn on the car for a good 5 minutes with a warning light. Again, is this common? Thanks :)
Yup I noticed exactly the same. The windscreen blower seems really inadequate even at max! REALLY REALLY miss my Focus heated windscreen!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.