Windscreen replacement

bundy1981

Oct 16, 2008
Gutted had my 1.4 sc sport for 1 week and a stone has cracked my windscreen with a 12 inch crack.

Autoglass are fitting a new windscreen on 23 rd march. does anyone know if autoglass use the original seat glass and will replacig the windscreen cause issues or is it a simple job for a pro ?

Dec 3, 2009
Well my dad has! Excellent job only problem is that if u had windows tinted it won't be tinted glass it will be clear glass as u have to get them tinted from different company.

Seeing as my dad's car had light blue tint all around

bundy1981

Oct 16, 2008
i'm going through the insurance company so i'm paying £70 excess i'm sure if they can use a cheaper windscreen they will otherwise i may be asked to fork out

Dec 3, 2009
Hmmm could be free? Didn't autoglass say that if u are full insure u get it for free or was that all lies? Hmmm

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
No insurance company will replace the windscreen with out an excess most now start from about £70 most now charge a excess of £10 for a stone chips used to be free.

Last edited:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
125 quid excess on mine, autoglass tried to fit it but turned out mine had been miss fitted at factory and it went to the bodyshop to be done.

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
Gutted had my 1.4 sc sport for 1 week and a stone has cracked my windscreen with a 12 inch crack.

Autoglass are fitting a new windscreen on 23 rd march. does anyone know if autoglass use the original seat glass and will replacig the windscreen cause issues or is it a simple job for a pro ?

Bad news mate! I was gutted when it happened to me after 8 months!

Anyway, Autoglass did mine and from start to finish it was an professional job.

The glass used looks exactly the same tbh.

Mine was ordered but that only took an extra day. It has the black effect around the edge and up by the rear view mirror (not sure what it's called?) Also, as standard now I believe is the VIN number display within the screen.

If it's not Seat glass it's near as damn the same. Is it really a problem if it's not 'Seat' glass unless you have a tint?

I paid £70 excess with Admiral. Most are the same and stone chip repair is free on most comprehensive policies now. I've just renewed with LV and it's £75

Cheers

Andy

bundy1981

Oct 16, 2008

Anyway, Autoglass did mine and from start to finish it was an professional job.

The glass used looks exactly the same tbh.

Mine was ordered but that only took an extra day. It has the black effect around the edge and up by the rear view mirror (not sure what it's called?) Also, as standard now I believe is the VIN number display within the screen.

If it's not Seat glass it's near as damn the same. Is it really a problem if it's not 'Seat' glass unless you have a tint?

I paid £70 excess with Admiral. Most are the same and stone chip repair is free on most comprehensive policies now. I've just renewed with LV and it's £75

Cheers

Andy

Cheers mate 5 seats and its the first time i've had a problem like this not really fussed if its seat glass to be fair just wondered if the quality was any different as long as its fitted properly and theres no damage to the car then i'm not fussed. I think depression had set in yesterday as I love the car and it drives much more comfortably than my 07 fr tdi i just part ex. Shame to have a whopping crack on the windscreen when only a week old but it'll get fixed just have to wait until autoglass can do the job

jamjar

Jul 6, 2009

Cheers

Andy

Does having a rain sensor make any difference?
Don't know if the sensor is on the windscreen?

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
Does having a rain sensor make any difference?
Don't know if the sensor is on the windscreen?

I assume it does make a difference.

When I phoned to arrange the replacement, the chap at Autoglass asked several questions and one was if my screen was the rain sensitive type (it's not btw.)

I assume any sensor/s are involved with the black bit by the mirror attachment or around the whole screen? The bloke did call it something specific. I can't recall now.

I phoned on a Friday morning and they would've come to my work the same day to fit it! However, they didn't have one in stock so I waited until Saturday.

I think an rain sensitive one would've involved an longer wait tbh.

bundy1981

Oct 16, 2008
Lucky for some bigman the earliest autoglass can fit mine is a week and a half away !! However i'm opting for a saturday when they can fit it outside of my house rather than having to rush it in th works car park so more time and less pressure should mean less chance of them doing a poor job ha

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.