winter/summer tyre options

brush.

Hi

I've got an Ibiza 1.9 TDI with cheap 195/55/R15 tyres.

I want to get a set of winter tyres now and then in spring will get some summer tyres.

I was thinking
Winter: 195/55/15
Summer: 205/45/16

or maybe
Winter: 205/45/16
Summer: 205/40/17

or
Winter: 205/45/16

I think a narrower tyre is meant to be better for digging through snow, but mostly I'll be on ice and frost, so maybe a wider tyre would give better grip on that?

What do you think? Anyone gone wider than 205 for their summer tyres?

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
The difference from 205 to 195 will be minimal mate, not realy noticable.

Just stick to a decent set of tyres that will be good for both summer and winter.

brush.

I'm talking about proper winter tyres that give you better grip under 7 degrees C.

Really, people don't notice a difference between 195 and 205 tyres for handling?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Its always a good idea to consider using winter tyres, as you imply due to the increased grip from the different low temperature compounds. Maybe a good idea if you are thinking about buying "plus one" wheels - and to keep them for summer use. You are correct to stick to the narrower tyres for winter use, that along with the low temperature compounds should make travelling a bit more predictable. I think of doing that now and again as I've got the original wheels in the garage - but so far have not got round to doing it to the 4Motion Passat, I should really get a set of steel "minus one" wheels and winter tyres for my wife's Polo though.

I'd reckon that most people think that winter tyre are not necessary in UK and generally that is correct, but we don't all live in town, on main roads or at sea level, so each to their own idea I'd reckon.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
i was at the ring yesterday and i was shocked at how many of the descent cars had steel wheels on with massive tyres. Turns out after i had checked a few they were snow tyres ready for the snow that seasonably turns up. Thesnow and winter tyres are a legal requirement once the temperature is below 6 degrees.

I was temtped to change to some winter tyres which are a specific tread pattern for the next 5 months.

brush.

In the end I decided on:

Winter: 195/55/15

brush.

Ordered my new winter tyres yesterday. Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D in 195/55/R15 85H. Can't wait to get them!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
For years the main comment about running really low profile tyres was and still is that the wheels very quickly can end up like "ten bob bits" - really low profile tyres can not provide much protection against potholes - they are only safe to use on perfect road surfaces - where ever they are - nice idea but not practical on normal roads.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.