Wire Size for Amp

funboy.ch

Feb 15, 2007
Switzerland
Hi folks,

I am finally got my ALPINE MRP-F550

The amp install kit came with 8gauge wire. Amp manual says between 13mm and 8mm which would be 0 or even 00 gauge wire. I'll be running a pair of Focal KP's and maybe a 300Watt RMS subwoofer.

Am I going to be okay with the 8gauge wire and a 60amp fuse or do I have to get 0gauge wire? I only saw this after running the wire :(

lard44

Watching C beams...
Apr 30, 2007
Braintree, Essex
Hmm - a single amplifier running the length of a car should be fine on 8 AWG it depends on how many amps the amplifier is pulling.

lard44

Watching C beams...
Apr 30, 2007
Braintree, Essex
Continuous RMS Power
2 x 250W RMS (4ohms, 14.4V-BTL, 0.3% THD)
4 x 125W RMS (2ohms, 14.4V, 0.3% THD)
4 x 90W RMS (4ohms, 14.4V, 0.08% THD)

Yeah you should be fine with 8AWG - although if you want to add anything else at another date you'd be best advised to upgrade the cable.

I have two amps and I've run 0 AWG to play it safe, and I know I could add another should the mood take me.

That's a nice looking amp by the way!

funboy.ch

Feb 15, 2007
Switzerland
aight thanks mate. Amp has two 30Amp fuses. I have installed a 60amp fuse near battery as recommended by manual. Ah, and I'll stick to 1 amp, I actually didn't even want to install any amps in the car, but I just couldn't resist...once boom boom in the car, always boom boom in the car.

lard44

Watching C beams...
Apr 30, 2007
Braintree, Essex
once boom boom in the car, always boom boom in the car.

That should be your signature!

You'd be surprised mate - I started with the head unit, then JUST the front speakers, then JUST fronts and rears, then JUST one amp, then JUST one sub etc. etc. etc.

At least you can keep all the cables and hardware and transfer them to practically any car - enjoy the boom boom!

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Personally I'd run 4awg for that amp. Due to the current it can draw and the length of cable. The table at the bottom of this page will show you what I mean.

http://www.icecavern.com/faq.php?cat_idx=1

8awg will be "OK" but as you reach the top end of the power output you'll see a significant voltage drop over the cable. Then the amp will draw more current. This is when you start to see your lights dimming etc.

So 8awg will work if you don't crank the volume up, but 4awg would be better.

Pete

funboy.ch

Feb 15, 2007
Switzerland
Thanks for all the info/tips. At the moment I just have the Focal 165KPs so I'll give it a try with the cable that I have. If I see the lights dim if/when I add a sub, I'll have to change it I guess. Should have done my homework before I guess.

I do have another question though, actually two. Is it true that you shouldn't run any audio cables near the power cable?

And, will the amp that I have work at all to push a 8" 400Watt RMS sub @ 2ohms? @ 4ohms?

Thanks again for the infos.

lard44, yeah I've had my fun with ICE back in the days...Been about 4 years without now...Here's me back in the days: http://roatan.roatanweb.com/my_car.htm

Last edited:

funboy.ch

Feb 15, 2007
Switzerland
okay I have another question, amp specs are as follows:

* 2 x 250W RMS (4ohms, 14.4V-BTL, 0.3% THD)
* 4 x 125W RMS (2ohms, 14.4V, 0.3% THD)
* 4 x 90W RMS (4ohms, 14.4V, 0.08% THD)

What would be the watt rating for bridging at running at 2ohms?

Or how would I go about hooking up a sub with Dual Voice Coils running with 2ohms each for instance this sub: http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/english/05_hw20x.htm

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise