Wireless Android Auto - Works!

scuj1

Mar 3, 2015
Edinburgh, Scotland
After collecting my FR Sport over a month ago I noticed that Wireless Android Auto did exist within the infotainment system (brochure says wired only) but the way the WiFi is set up you'd need to use (and pay for) the eSim Data Plan. If you didn't, Android Wireless would still work but only with the data (music, maps etc) that was cached on your phone.

So after a bit of tinkering and head scratching I finally got a workaround and it now works flawlessly!

First thing to do is turn off the Integrated Data Connection (eSim)

IMG_20210315_105542.jpg

You'll see up on the top right, this creates a notification about this...

IMG_20210315_105449.jpg

This will come up every time you start the car if you select the notification and at first I thought that this might affect the app for checking the vehicle information, turning on hazards, horn etc but thankfully it doesn't. This continues to work normally. The only potential issue I can foresee is that OTA updates may not work? Until there's a new SW version available I won't know but if it does affect it, it would just be a case of activating the eSim periodically to get any new updates or it may even download it via your android device. The globe however still shows white to confirm it has a connection. Whether this is through the infotainment system itself or via you data connection on your phone, I'm not sure but it still continues to connect to SEAT's servers as normal.

Next, make sure the Infotainment System is still active as a Hotspot...

IMG_20210315_105519_2.jpg

Your device should now see the vehicle WiFi as available and it shouldn't attempt to ask you to sign in to the network (as eSim is off) to sign up for the data plan, it should just connect automatically.

Now on your device under you WiFi and Network settings you should have menu called Dual-Channel Network Acceleration or similar (dependent on your device). Select this and you should have something similar to this option...

Screenshot_20210315-131523.jpg

Basically you want to have the Intellligent Network Connection activated to stop your device trying to purely get data via WiFi. As there will be none apart from what is going between your device and the infotainment system. This will allow your device to still send and receive data on your mobile network which in turn will mean you can stream music and use google maps as normal as if it was wired and that's it! You should be good to go!

I may have done more than needed to get this all working but I'm just glad to have something SEAT don't even advertise as being available, unless they really wanted to push the data plan on to us for it!

Now my next problem is, I now need a new phone with wireless charging 😂

Any questions, just let me know!

Reactions: Torque69 and Tell

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
What android phone do you have?
What software version is the infotainment?

It seems you Android auto looks different from mine being full width instead of a box in the middle of the screen

I wonder if it could be a later head unit, which allows wireless AA

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I think Wireless AA is only available on Android 11 (also maybe specific phones)... I read that a while back on the Google troubleshooting page...

May of changed since then

Reactions: dan555

scuj1

Mar 3, 2015
Edinburgh, Scotland
What android phone do you have?
What software version is the infotainment?

It seems you Android auto looks different from mine being full width instead of a box in the middle of the screen

I wonder if it could be a later head unit, which allows wireless AA
Hi Dan,

I have a OnePlus Nord. It was on Android 10 when I first got the vehicle but is now on 11.

Current software version...

IMG_20210315_144105.jpg

Android Auto has always been widescreen since I've had the vehicle even when using wired. You're not using MirrorLink by any chance?

IMG_20210315_144131.jpg

It could well be an updated unit. My vehicle was built the first week of January.

RoadXY

Feb 28, 2021

View attachment 22785

This will come up every time you start the car if you select the notification and at first I thought that this might affect the app for checking the vehicle information, turning on hazards, horn etc but thankfully it doesn't. This continues to work normally.
I have this notification for the past three days but I stil have the eSIM enabled.

Reactions: Jimmymac

manracer

Mar 15, 2021
I tried this just now and it didnt work for me.

Huawei P30 Pro (running android 11)

manracer

Mar 15, 2021
You'd think it would be more or less the same in the Formentor too.
Yes you would - so many bugs in this system too.

Today i looked into customising the individual profile again and every item (DCC engine etc only had the option of "off road"), yet when I turned engine off and back on it was back to normal.

I also find it amateur you can get into the service menu just be holding over the circular button bottom left of the screen.

scuj1

Mar 3, 2015
Edinburgh, Scotland
Yes you would - so many bugs in this system too.

Today i looked into customising the individual profile again and every item (DCC engine etc only had the option of "off road"), yet when I turned engine off and back on it was back to normal.

I also find it amateur you can get into the service menu just be holding over the circular button bottom left of the screen.
Have you set up your profile? This also happened to me the first couple of days but seemed to sort itself out after.

manracer

Mar 15, 2021
Have you set up your profile? This also happened to me the first couple of days but seemed to sort itself out after.
yes profile set up, I did momentarily switch to guest so perhaps that was the reason.

Tell

Staff member
After collecting my FR Sport over a month ago I noticed that Wireless Android Auto did exist within the infotainment system (brochure says wired only) but the way the WiFi is set up you'd need to use (and pay for) the eSim Data Plan. If you didn't, Android Wireless would still work but only with the data (music, maps etc) that was cached on your phone.

So after a bit of tinkering and head scratching I finally got a workaround and it now works flawlessly!

First thing to do is turn off the Integrated Data Connection (eSim)

View attachment 22784

View attachment 22785

This will come up every time you start the car if you select the notification and at first I thought that this might affect the app for checking the vehicle information, turning on hazards, horn etc but thankfully it doesn't. This continues to work normally. The only potential issue I can foresee is that OTA updates may not work? Until there's a new SW version available I won't know but if it does affect it, it would just be a case of activating the eSim periodically to get any new updates or it may even download it via your android device. The globe however still shows white to confirm it has a connection. Whether this is through the infotainment system itself or via you data connection on your phone, I'm not sure but it still continues to connect to SEAT's servers as normal.

Next, make sure the Infotainment System is still active as a Hotspot...

View attachment 22786

Your device should now see the vehicle WiFi as available and it shouldn't attempt to ask you to sign in to the network (as eSim is off) to sign up for the data plan, it should just connect automatically.

Now on your device under you WiFi and Network settings you should have menu called Dual-Channel Network Acceleration or similar (dependent on your device). Select this and you should have something similar to this option...

View attachment 22787

Basically you want to have the Intellligent Network Connection activated to stop your device trying to purely get data via WiFi. As there will be none apart from what is going between your device and the infotainment system. This will allow your device to still send and receive data on your mobile network which in turn will mean you can stream music and use google maps as normal as if it was wired and that's it! You should be good to go!

I may have done more than needed to get this all working but I'm just glad to have something SEAT don't even advertise as being available, unless they really wanted to push the data plan on to us for it!

Now my next problem is, I now need a new phone with wireless charging 😂

Any questions, just let me know!

Interesting. It was only suppose to be available on the Zn2 looking at the German Seat site when I was researching mib3 units. All the UK ones are Zn1 including the Cupra's so decided that it wasn't possible. Probably it's just turned on in a Zn2 and you have found a way of avoiding whatever was put in place or not enabled 😍.

dts0205

Feb 11, 2021
I tried to set mine up when I got it but gave up. A few weeks ago I got in the car and it connected wirelessly on its own.

I'm on Android 10

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members