Wireless Android Auto - Works!

zeppo

Apr 19, 2021
I believe my car was built 38/20, part no. 5FA035862B, hardware H56, software v.1664. Wireless AA not functional.
I wonder if it could be enabled somewhere via the service menu or running some sort of OBD hack?
Just got mine updated at the workshop today, since i had loads of small problems i needed them to address. I am now on software v. 1672, but still no wireless AA...

Tell

Staff member
Just got mine updated at the workshop today, since i had loads of small problems i needed them to address. I am now on software v. 1672, but still no wireless AA...
I think it's because your part number ends in B, you need the unit ending with a D. That's the jist of the posts.

The official unit sold in Germany has the zn2 build code. I suspect they all have the D code on them... Possibly they get put in others which is how people are getting the success. That's my theory.

Reactions: scuj1

dan555

Sep 29, 2020

It's interesting that the dealer managed to change the software version.

Did you notice anything different after the update?

zeppo

Apr 19, 2021
I think it's because your part number ends in B, you need the unit ending with a D. That's the jist of the posts.

The official unit sold in Germany has the zn2 build code. I suspect they all have the D code on them... Possibly they get put in others which is how people are getting the success. That's my theory.
It seems D,E,F (and any later letters) get v. 17xx, while Blank,A,B get v. 16xx. So your teory would be correct. However, i dont get why the first ones dont get the option of connecting wirelessly to AA. As far as i know, there is absolutely no difference in the hardware need for AA vs Carplay, and wireless carplay works flawlessly... I really think Seat should take this into consideration and release the wireless functionality for AA as well.

It's interesting that the dealer managed to change the software version.

Did you notice anything different after the update?
Well, it looks the same. It didn't even move my preferred shortcuts in the bottom line of the screen. So... not really. I did however get an update to the Kessy system (i think this is separate from the infotainment computer system) which is absolutely perfect. I might even forget i have a key in my pocket now.
I asked them to address a number of smaller problems like the AA sound suddenly not working, some yellow door warning showing up at random, incorrect profile loading, and not being able to control the temperature if its too cold outside... I will have to drive the car for some time to verify that this has actually been solved. The mechanic told me they were, and informed me that a lot of other smaller issues should be resolved as well with this mayor update package.

Tell

Staff member
It seems D,E,F (and any later letters) get v. 17xx, while Blank,A,B get v. 16xx. So your teory would be correct. However, i dont get why the first ones dont get the option of connecting wirelessly to AA. As far as i know, there is absolutely no difference in the hardware need for AA vs Carplay, and wireless carplay works flawlessly... I really think Seat should take this into consideration and release the wireless functionality for AA as well.

Well, it looks the same. It didn't even move my preferred shortcuts in the bottom line of the screen. So... not really. I did however get an update to the Kessy system (i think this is separate from the infotainment computer system) which is absolutely perfect. I might even forget i have a key in my pocket now.
I asked them to address a number of smaller problems like the AA sound suddenly not working, some yellow door warning showing up at random, incorrect profile loading, and not being able to control the temperature if its too cold outside... I will have to drive the car for some time to verify that this has actually been solved. The mechanic told me they were, and informed me that a lot of other smaller issues should be resolved as well with this mayor update package.
Glad your Kessy is working correctly now. That will be in the modules that they reprogrammed. I'm sure they had power saving mode programmed on both sides whilst only the passenger side is suppose to deactivate to save power if it's sensed the battery is getting low. Power saving deactivation on both side or a bug... but walking round the back to the rear aerial woke the system up.

The build codes on the Leon 4 of Zn1 and Zn2 differentiated whether they got Android Wireless, latter does. Unlike the old Mib2 where they were completely different units. I quess they put the better specified units into the more recent production run or may be if they run short of one they put the other one in... probably told I'm wrong. Too early I think to find those part codes on websites sites to find out the spec of those units.

Discussion on the Spanish Seat site:

Probably small software improvements on those software releases ironing out bugs rather than big changes which you see.

Still it's nice to be a pioneer 😍😉.

dan555

Sep 29, 2020

I have the same issue with Android auto sound not always working, you need to restart the car to get it to work, lock wait 20 mins and try again

I also have an issue where the clock and notification icons don't appear, I have to restart the car for them to appear

zeppo

Apr 19, 2021
I have the same issue with Android auto sound not always working, you need to restart the car to get it to work, lock wait 20 mins and try again

I also have an issue where the clock and notification icons don't appear, I have to restart the car for them to appear
I used to solve the AA sound issue "simply" by restarting the infotainment system. Still quite annoying...
I dont recall ever missing the clock or notification symbol for more than a few seconds during startup.

Tell

Staff member
I used to solve the AA sound issue "simply" by restarting the infotainment system. Still quite annoying...
I dont recall ever missing the clock or notification symbol for more than a few seconds during startup.
The 20 minutes would come in as a solution if other things other than the infotainment system would need to be powered down. The long press forces a reboot of the infotainment system. I did wonder whether Dan meant a reboot was not sufficient. I could see that some of the other control systems might need something longer than 20 minutes if they had issues talking to each other 🙄.

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
I have tried restarting the infotainment (holding power for 10+ seconds) and it still didn't work after starting up, the only way I've got it to work is waiting the 20 minutes after locking

But I will mention it to the dealer when it goes in to have a new passenger side sunvisor fitted (for the 2nd time), hopefully they will update the infotainment too

Tell

Staff member
I have tried restarting the infotainment (holding power for 10+ seconds) and it still didn't work after starting up, the only way I've got it to work is waiting the 20 minutes after locking

But I will mention it to the dealer when it goes in to have a new passenger side sunvisor fitted (for the 2nd time), hopefully they will update the infotainment too
Ah that means the problem is beyond the infotainment system although saying that there is a live part of that system that's listening for updates over 4G as I understand it. Oh what fun. I'm letting others enjoy their new cars before I change mine to connect services.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
The current Seat Connect system reminds me of when smart phones first came out, every manufacturer doing their own thing, with unique operating systems but most being hopeless from the end user's experience. Only once they all started copying the best bits from each other did we end up with a cohesive structure where you can find all the settings.

It's got a long way to mature, at the moment it's like they've deliberately made it as awkward as possible to use.

Reactions: Stonepope

zeppo

Apr 19, 2021
The current Seat Connect system reminds me of when smart phones first came out, every manufacturer doing their own thing, with unique operating systems but most being hopeless from the end user's experience. Only once they all started copying the best bits from each other did we end up with a cohesive structure where you can find all the settings.

It's got a long way to mature, at the moment it's like they've deliberately made it as awkward as possible to use.
You are so right. Maybe we should keep an eye out for the next cyagenmod for vagcars. Could be coming soon to xda-developers.com 😆

Reactions: hsnk and BoomerBoom

HarryJ

Feb 27, 2021
Do we think it's possible that all the older head units will never update properly (mine is also stuck on 1664). Seems abit odd that Seat push the whole OTA updates yet 6 months worth of cars can't get any new features, like Alexa. Even more reasons not to pay them more money on July when my Seat Connect runs out!

Would be great if Seat could swap out the older units, but that'll never happen 😂

Mikey887

Aug 24, 2015
Has anyone who has wireless Aa working got obdeleven? If so could you check in 5F->adaptation-> the below two values for 5ghz and for Google Android auto ?
ff2cbcdbb3e780b889aac863935720d2.jpg
e08fe6e4ffb6eb79d48a204e3f247706.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Deleted member 123864

My Android Auto just works. I didn't have to change anything on the phone or in the infotainment like the OP

Mikey887

Aug 24, 2015
Was more meaning what's your setting, 5f is sfd protected so dealership would have to change it but wanted to see if my hunch about the settings was right

Tell

Staff member
Well Seat managed to role out the mib2 high on the Ateca in 2016 with the wrong settings and corrected it a year or so later. That was the client WiFi setting rather than 5Ghz. That was the early days of connected services so you couldn't connect those early apps to the car. That's where I toggled it on with Obdeleven pre SFD.

It's a mute point whether the D's or no letter after it have different chipsets, or different microcode in the chips or different model releases - probably out there somewhere. It comes back to those Zn1 / Zn2 build codes but I only found those on European cars when I looked up the Vin in Erwin. The local demonstrators car for the Leon4 didn't mention that... hmm. Only Zn2 are suppose to officially do Wireless Android Auto according the the Seat German site at the time of the Leon 4. They also do full 3D building annotation on the cars built in map, not the 2.5D without buildings. Suttle different. Wonder if those cars with those units do that. You zoom in on say Tower Bridge or any major landmarks and it will bring up the building in the integrated mapping system to show landmark objects in 3D.

As you say would be good to know how the units which get Wireless Android Auto are marked up on those settings... also whether they can do the 3D building images... I'm wondering whether Seat changed its line up from the launch material looking again at the German material.

Mikey887

Aug 24, 2015
Given the age of the car I would be very surprised if the WiFi chipset in the car doesn't support 5ghz and the reason it's off is Todo with hardware, I think it's more likely they couldn't sort the EU regulatory approval for using 5ghz in the car before they launched so switched it off , then once it was sorted the new cars they switched it on as wireless Android auto requires 5ghz wifi

My car's going into the dealership for some other software related issues so might see if they can switch it on / can be convinced to

* Forgot to mention other evidence for the chipset supporting 5ghz the WiFi AC bandwidth is set, so of the chipset supports AC wireless there's no way it doesn't support 5ghz

Tell

Staff member
That's supposition that it was EU regulation hold back. As said in Germany at launch of the Leon 4 they had two infotainment builds zn1 and zn2. Only zn2 had wireless Android Auto and the 3D building graphics shown on the map. Zn2 was the top end code used on the mib2 high, zn1 bottom end code for the mib2 standard. The codes got recycled into mib3 high but the xn2 got wireless Android Auto. Reckon they have scrapped that now and they are all the Zn2 model. The 3D buildings they could control by software toggle but may have just give up and everybody now gets to see landmarks (You get to see each Roman crane building along the Mossel in Trier, Luxembourg airport / mall close by or Caernarfon Castle to name a few). It's Here Maps on the "standard" unit saw that in the UK on a demo Leon 4. But I didnt go hunting for the 3D images on the default maps. This is where I'm thinking that Dan et al might just have the full implementation off Zn2 rather than managing to hack the units, they just have the latest offering.

I see the subject is exciting other forums. We know from the unit part numbers and software what works. Reckon you have the Zn1 hardware in yours defined by those part numbers I lifted off the Spanish forum with the matching software in the discussion further up. The existence of running on the 5ghz band doesn't mean the unit it capable of wireless Android Auto (does for the phone) but not for the Mib unit, will be the software release. Anyhow that's where I reckon those that have found they have it will find the 3D buildings when the unit is showing 3D maps... but the built in ones, not Google Maps !. That's a feature of Here Maps cartography package if fully implemented. It provides an aid to recognise a location by eyeballing the image seen on the map display against that viewed from the car.

As a slight aside I see Seat have the mib3 map updates on their website but in the cars last year there was no import option to do that. Skoda people have moaned about that. I'd assumed it was a Zn2 thing. It's in the manual.

That's the TAR file it will start downloading. Thats for mass updating of the built in maps rather than wait for the over the air ones.

Perhaps whilst people search for the 3D buildings they might check to see whether they have the map import menu. That could be a 1700 series thing. The missing cog wheel menu might have now appeared. Section from the manual attached.

(Word of warning mib2 users need the workaround described in the resource section and not blindly follow the Seat website if you dont have valid mapcare)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-091612.png
    Screenshot_20210516-091612.png
    109.6 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

Mikey887

Aug 24, 2015
Oooo which reasources section, I did try to update the maps to fix my GPS issue but couldn't get it to work