xenon conversion

gogo

hello...
has anyone made that conversion?
i have OEM front lights and d1s bulbs.. i'm still missing processors, what else do i have to have? what can be eventual problems?
thnx

phil_monk

Aug 19, 2007
Proccessors?????? i think you mean ballasts?

if thay are DS1 then i think you need to get the Hella balasts.

Also where did you get the headlights from?

gogo

well, some call them processors, some ballasts, you know what i mean :):)
i bought them over seat forum croatia...

nixu

What? It`s impossible.
You have the dual optic lights?

This are D1s bulbs:

and ballasts:

How do you want to fit them?

That`s original xenon Lights for IBIZA 6L with stock mounted ballasts:

For OEM lights you must have h7 bulbs xenon packet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
sell em and go for a proper kit
try HIDs4U professional friendly fast & efficient customer service! :D

he's best off going for the genuine article if he wants proper xenon lights.

Personally my attitude to this now is if your car did'nt come with Xenons standard then it should stay that way. Oh and in the UK it would mean it is legal to drive on the road, as HID kits are strictly for offroad use only.

gogo

What? It`s impossible.
You have the dual optic lights?

This are D1s bulbs:

and ballasts:

How do you want to fit them?

That`s original xenon Lights for IBIZA 6L with stock mounted ballasts:

For OEM lights you must have h7 bulbs xenon packet.

i have d1s bulbs, and original xenon lights, and i found ballasts on ebaybut some guy overbid me in last 20 seconds :(

nixu

i have d1s bulbs, and original xenon lights, and i found ballasts on ebaybut some guy overbid me in last 20 seconds :(

Oh, unless I see.

I Think that i have 2 unnecessary ballasts. I only must find them. If you want that send at PM your proposition of worth + cost of box (about 7 GBP). The proposition of price can be in GBP, EUR or PLN.

R1dd1ck

Unsure!
Sep 7, 2007
Par
I looked into this with my seat garage, wrong place to go for a conversion. They offer 2500 quid for it.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
sell em and go for a proper kit

The OE Xenon lights are far better than any aftermarket kit.
Proper projector lenses, proper bulbs, ballasts & wiring built into the headlamp unit, plus automatic levelling. No having to run wiring round the engine bay or find somewhere to stick ballasts. The lenses give proper beam control (nice sharp cut-off so no glare) unlike normal "reflector" headlights.

I had them on my Ibiza (factory option) and thought they were fantastic.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I looked into this with my seat garage, wrong place to go for a conversion. They offer 2500 quid for it.

When one of my Xenon bulbs went, I got the dealer to replace them both under warranty - and IIRC normal dealer price just for bulbs was £170 :)

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I think the cupra FMIC gets in the way of the headlight washer jet gubbins and that's why it was never an option on the cupra

BTW washers and auto leveling are needed by law with H,i,D lights although some will say that they have had them looked at by an MOT place and they are ok :shrug:

a grey area methinks

Gazb

Mar 6, 2007
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
I think the cupra FMIC gets in the way of the headlight washer jet gubbins and that's why it was never an option on the cupra

BTW washers and auto leveling are needed by law with H,i,D lights although some will say that they have had them looked at by an MOT place and they are ok :shrug:

a grey area methinks

From what I've heard/told as long as you get a sensible temperature (not too blue/purple) and get them alligned properly, its very unlikely for them to get failed at MOT unless the HID bulbs are rubbish and have a terrible spread of light.

Ofcourse this is going by what I've heard from friends etc. and I'd say alot still depends on how bad a day the MOT guy is having at the time.

I tend to drive a good bit at night so for me it would be a great upgrade, but i do like to use factory parts where possible so I'll keep an eye out for them on ebay. Gonna be hard to get though as its only available as an option on the FR.
I

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
i bought OEM xenons off ebay along with bulbs and ballasts for a grand total of £150 :D Just gotta keep your eyes peeled really. They arent auto levelling as has been suggested but they can be adjusted via the wheel by the light switch anyway. No issues with fitting, just swap one set of headlights for the others, they use the same wiring harness. Even front bumper removal is simple lol

Excellent upgrade, massive improvement over standard halogen reflectors.

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
Im just gona swap mine back with bulbs come MOT time and say its for "track use". Yes track use on a 1.2 lol

gogo

i bought OEM xenons off ebay along with bulbs and ballasts for a grand total of £150 :D Just gotta keep your eyes peeled really. They arent auto levelling as has been suggested but they can be adjusted via the wheel by the light switch anyway. No issues with fitting, just swap one set of headlights for the others, they use the same wiring harness. Even front bumper removal is simple lol

that's the anwser that i wanted to hear! no extra wiring and problems? excellent then! just one question... did you buy also new elecrto motors gor leveling? i thought that the ones from halogen lights don't fit

Gazb

Mar 6, 2007
Lisburn, Northern Ireland

I've been looking on ebay but so far there's nothing showing up, I just get tons of bulbs when searching for Xenon headlight ballasts.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise