Xenon headlights

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
hi folks, my car is going to have zenon headlights on it when i get it, i was just wondering if it will be the dipped beam only or dipped and full beams

thanks, owen

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
Bi-xenon on the Leons.
This means both dipped & main beam with an additional halogen bulb for "flashing".
There is one pair of xenon "bulbs" but there is a shutter in front for dipped. When main beam is swithed on, the shutter moves for maximun effect!! :)

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
as above, there is only 1 bulb per side, however when on full beam, the xenons do pop up (shutter??) to provide a higher beam of light + the standard halogen Full beam.

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
i dont get it you have something like an h4 that is BI light so low beam and high beam at the same bulb or like the halogen one, one low beam one high beam....

as i want to buy the xenon kit for my car and after fit the headlight with the projector i want to know before i spend the money in bulbs lol

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
Here's a better explanation of bi-xenons copied from a lighting site:-

"Very simple, Bi-Xenon means that both high and low beam is created by the same HID bulb. A Bi-Xenon system can be based on reflector and projector design. The latter one is the simplest. Hella has a Bi-Xenon system that has a moveable shield inside a projector unit. This is acomplished by using a spring loaded solenoid (just like in power door locks) or servo motor with 2 positions. Bi-Xenon came on many cars in 2002.

The advantage compared to a traditional projector HID low beam/Halogen high beam is that you get HID low AND high beam. Bi-Xenon systems have additional flash-to-pass separate halogen lamps. Bi-Xenons System are a step up from regular low beam Xenons, since there will be better high beams. The high beams in a HID low beam HID/ halogen high beam combination has a tendancy to be degraded to a beam cutoff softener. It is easy to get spoiled by the powerful low beam HID which makes high beams with 65W halogen almost dim in comparison. They should have been 140W high beam. Bi-Xenons gives a better long distance view when high beam is on.

Bi-Xenons are not perfect either. Ideally, they should have made foreground lighting weaker when switching solenoids over to high beams. But that feature in non avail so far."

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members