Yellow Beastie - '03 LCR Now Stage 2 :D

FroggyLCR

Yellow Beastie
Oct 2, 2012
Norwich
Looking great mate you ever fit your honeycomb grills ??

Cheers mate :)

No, bits are are still sat in the garage waiting :( Was planning on getting myself a fmic about now ish. Was going to fit the new grills while I had the front bumper off. But now I have bought the wheels and got here serviced and coil packs etc I have got to save up again and decide between the fmic and lowering next.

Though the grills and it being "summer" may swing it towards fmic first. Hate the oem slatted grills going in different directions. Want to get shot of the silver S badge too.

FroggyLCR

Yellow Beastie
Oct 2, 2012
Norwich
Quick update on yellow beastie.

Well I'm about half way through a month away from her as I'm currently working offshore of the West African coast.

I have the new NGK spark plus sat in the garage to fit when I get home, along with tfsi coil packs and adaptors from Awesome gti. I know the jury is still very much out on these but as I want to swap out my current ones I thought why not give them a go. Also now have a heat sheild to go above the exhaust mannifold. I hoping it means I can remove some of the oem heat proof stuff as it looks rather messy in my eyes. But we will see as the oem stuff is there for a reason.

Also, am finally getting my fmic bought!! Well happy! Will be the Airtec one from AmD. I know a lot of people like the wellycooler but have heard very good things about this cooler and have seen it. Looks very god bit of kit :) Fitting it myself so save £100 plus all the fuel too. Plus fitting myself sooo much more fun! Half the reason I love modifying my cars.

Also, while the front bumper is off I can finally get my honeycomb grill mods and cold air feed done :) Had the parts for months now!

Also need new tyres, as the ones that are on my new alloys are almost worn and god awful! On at the moment are 215/40/18's was thinking of swapping to 215/35/18 Yoko parada spec 2's. I love the new wheels but wish they were wider, like the standard ronals. Ultiamatly I am wanting a set of black / very dark gt rota's. Just love them and how mean they look.

Car still needs lowering too and really can't decide which way to go with that............

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
All good stuff going on there mate. The TFSI coilpacks are great, no jury IMO. Most people who doubt them haven't even run them.... Mine have been spot on and the idle is solid with them. Not much price difference so why not try them I say.

What Airtec you going for mate? Black or yellow? I'm sure you'll be very pleased with it as I am with mine :)

The Parada's are great in the dry but poor in the wet mate, this is what I hear from people who have had them on LCR's.

Air ride for lowering? :p

FroggyLCR

Yellow Beastie
Oct 2, 2012
Norwich
Hi t0m, cheers mate.

Yeah looking forward to getting the new plugs and coils fitted. Shes had a full service just before I came offshore again so will be the final piece of that :)

As for the fmic it will be as in the advert on the AmD website. Black core with the airtec in yellow across it with the yellow pipe work :) Should hopefully see the airtec through the new honeycomb main grille I will be making and be inkeeping with the black n yellow of the rest of the car. Going to remove the plastic strips either side of the number plate so a slight improvement in air flow access to the core. Finally be able to run that cold air feed at the same time from the passenger fog light position.

Thinking of trying to use the drivers side fog light / smic location to run a mocal oil cooler later down the line for track days.....

Yeah have used the Yoko Paradas before and would agree with what you said. But I do like them. Wish my new wheels were same width of oem ronnals to, only 8 inch my new ones. hopping to get a set of winter tyres for the back end of the year.

Thinking about swapping from 215/40/18 tyres to 215/35/18 just for looks but we will see.

Having said that, maybe better off getting my wider standard ronnals powder coated a nice dark gun metal and having them as my summer wheels and putting winter tyres on the skinner new ones................. Now there's a thought! Plus the fronts have two fairly new summer tyres on already. (Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's).

I'll pass on the air suspension cheers lol. I do need to decide which way to go with this though asap as she does need lowering! Was thinking lowering springs and matched damper set but now leaning more towards coilovers. Have been reckonmend some very nice collies but the are too much money for me right now unfortuanatly. Maybe later down the line if she does see a lot of track time.......

I need to get down to AmD soon and get all my knackard bushes swapped out for superpro replacements. Got a quote of them and says includeds full laser wheel alighment. So thinking I might have to save up a bit more first and get a set of the AP collies put on at the same time. Thats my current thinking! They seem to be liked by people who have them. Need to slap a rear arb on to, and a front one lol (Neuspeed 28mm rear and 25mm front).

Thoughts on any of this anyone? Good and bad! :)

Last edited:

FroggyLCR

Yellow Beastie
Oct 2, 2012
Norwich
Cough, cough Bilstine B14...

Hi mate :) yeah, it was you and the B14's I was referring to above as wanting but the price of them holding me back.

Though to be fair, I didn't realise how much the AP's were. So could very well be worth saving the extra pennies for a bit longer and just going straight for Bilstine's

Hope your really enjoying your new coilovers and set up. I'm finally back home end of next week. Have to come see you a chat and some photos?

FroggyLCR

Yellow Beastie
Oct 2, 2012
Norwich
let us know how you get on with the airtec fmic,thats gonna be my next buy

Hi mate, yeah will do no worries. Will be plenty of photos taken too.

Was ment to of been bought by now but due to how my pay has worked out I got a small pay this payday just gone and big one end of this month. Typical!! So it's had to be pushed back until then :( but will be ordered first this payday this time. Fed up of having to keep putting it back!
I'm going for the polished alloy core option so it stands out a bit when I redo the main grille :)

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
t0m, am I right in thinking you have the ap coilovers?

How do you find then on the road? And at Brands Hatch?

Cheers!

You're correct mate yes I do have them. Have done for around 3 years now. Two track sessions and plenty of spirited driving and they've been absolutely spot on!

On the road don't expect comfort like 'sport springs' as these will be harsher but don't get coilovers if you can't face that.. Lol. On track they will have the edge though. My car corners very well now. I don't see the point in changing my coilovers for any reason at this point in time.

The Bilstein's are meant to be brilliant too. Depends what your budget is and how long you want the overall project to take till 'almost complete' - as they're never complete really!

AmD did me a deal on my AP's fitted years ago and I think they still run deals on them now. Give Ben a shout there and see what they can do. You will be recommended to replace the top mounts as these like to go after coilovers go on. I had mine replaced when the coilovers went on and they've been good as gold, touch wood :p lol.

If you are VERY serious about tracking your car all year round, I'd spend more and go for the Bilstein's which will be the advanced choice. For daily driving, fast road abuse and the odd track day (2-3 a year etc) I wouldn't bother spending anymore than on a set of AP's. Highly recommended! :)

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
If I was you I'd go for the Wellycooler and put the saving towards the Billy's. the Wellycooler is proven up to 400bhp+ BT and is £200. The Billy's are probably the best coilovers on the market. My car has come so far so quickly as I've bought what works not by the trade mark.

demonic pete

Apr 1, 2013
leeds
i was also interested in the one that shark performance sells,i cant remember the name but they look more like truck ones and require no cutting.they look awesome and im stuck between that and the airtec

FroggyLCR

Yellow Beastie
Oct 2, 2012
Norwich
Cheers everyone, great advice all round.

I really do want the B14's.

But for what I need right now I can't justify the B14's as good as I'm sure they are, knowing what else I need before I'd be in a position to have trackday lessons to even get near needing the extra they would give.

I think if I ever reach that point the I could justify the 14's then happy days lol and I'll be happy to buy them. But for now I like the idea of bushes and collie's plus the money I'd save between the B14's and the AP's will buy me a rear anti roll bar :)

Will be sticking with the Airtec fmic to be honest. Looked a great bit of kit when i saw it at AmD. Large core and all comes as a complete kit with pipe work fittings etc. Also people who have it do recommend it.

Plus it's a lot cheaper than the fancy brand cooler, the forge one.

Thoughts?

Thanks again everyone :)

FroggyLCR

Yellow Beastie
Oct 2, 2012
Norwich
Right, not updated this for a while so here goes.

First off, finally got around to swapping my front grilles for all honeycomb ones.

Not totaly happy with it yet. Think I'm going to change the main grill section. Cut off the section the number plate is attached to and honeycomb the whole section. Move the number plate down. Have already removed the plastic bits either side of the number plate.

Really need to get the bumber resprayed though. looking rather rough. Lots of marks on it and areas where the lacquer has gone.

Next up was a trip to AmD Essex for a full set of superpro bushes. Can really feel the difference. Much firmer now. Not suprising as the previous ones were 10 year old oem ones!

Also got a Airtec fmic. Looking forward to fitting it :) :)

FroggyLCR

Yellow Beastie
Oct 2, 2012
Norwich
Also, when removing the front bumper to do the grilles, discovered a lovely 4 inch split in the side wall of front passenger wheel. Was still holding full pressure so only a matter of time before it blew out :( :( Very glad as day before I'd been on the motor way for 2 hours.

So she is now back on the standard wheels while I decide what to do. Either a new set of tyres or stripp the tyres off and sell the alloys. All the tyres are almost fully worn now anyway.

Really doesn't look as good with out the black wheels on though :(

May powdercoat the ronnals anthracite and sell the OZ's to fund a set of black team dymanics light wight alloys, or put the cash in a pot towards a set of rota grid drifts, my favourite wheel.

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
This needs updating!
You mentioned tyre size early are you only running 215 wide tyres? Standard are 225 and you can fit 235. You've got to keep the OZs they're a nice wheel.

FroggyLCR

Yellow Beastie
Oct 2, 2012
Norwich
Hey mate. Yeah the OZ Superturino's have 215/40/18 tyres.

I do really like them, and really do make the car look so much better when fitted than the oem ronnals in standard colour.

I'm thinking of selling them though. I was going to put a set of winter tyres on them but can't find any I want in that fitment. :( Currently looking at the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D for a winter tyre and fitting them on the powder coated ronnals.

Then look to pick up a new set of alloys (225/40/18 tyre size) over the winter to take the summer tyres.

To put 4 new summer tyres on the OZ alloys will cost me a fortune and have summer tyres on my standards ( Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's). So next spring put the Ultrac's on them. :)

That's my thinking at the moment anyways!

FroggyLCR

Yellow Beastie
Oct 2, 2012
Norwich
Summer tyres, the Ultrac's are on the ronals, so 225/40/18. OZ alloys are slightly slimmer so running 215/40/18 tyres.

Unless I'm (very likely!) missing something and they are interchangeable ?

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
How wide are the OZ? The standard wheels are 7.5 even if the OZ are 7 (which I'd dought) you could fit 225 tyres on them.

Have you got the Airtec fitted yet?

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.